U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 11:51 AM

10,666 posts, read 11,755,539 times

Advertisements

Just started snowing here. Keeping my fingers crossed for a measurable amount.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:53 AM

10,027 posts, read 6,398,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
Overall, it seems this "storm" will be as lamentable as this winter has been.

Maybe half an inch on the ground, with most of that accumulation early yesterday night. Then largely nothing until this morning. It is snowing at the moment as if half-serious. But not long ago, mostly in a technical sort of way. Judging by forecasts (being mostly wrong) and results, this snow will likely peter out before really begun.

Our tax dollars in the inane snowplow just went by, again—literally scraping bare pavement.

Hope I am wrong in this assessment, but the weak nature of this storm as indicator of all else likely portends what will be aggressive wildfires to come. Regret being as negative, but nothing this winter has given reason for much optimism.

BTW, the aspen are just beginning to bud. Not sure how they will take this snow, if most of it likely melted by tomorrow, colder temperatures and all. The first butterflies have been out and about the last three weeks.
Strong agreement with one part of this--what's up with scraping pavement? I saw on the news this morning, they were talking about snow crews out plowing...I understand dropping sand/salt/etc but plowing??? The streets were dry! What the heck?

Old 04-09-2013, 11:57 AM

346 posts, read 377,662 times
Four inches of snow-and very little sticking to roads = virtually all school districts closed. Midwesterners and New Englanders must be chuckling and scratching their heads!

Old 04-09-2013, 12:17 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,866,719 times
Wink Actual weather no concern

Quote:
I understand dropping sand/salt/etc but plowing??? The streets were dry! What the heck?
What the heck indeed.

It is the custom, on this county road, for the snowplow to spend the entire day during any snowfall—and then days after—driving past. Which is understandable, as they have routes, and indeed much of the time elsewhere on state highways. Sometimes this fellow will even keep his blade lifted if the road basically dry, and just making the rounds. BUT if much more than a snowflake on the road then more usually plowing it. No wonder they regularly re-paint the stripes on this road—the snowplow scrapes the paint off all winter.

Given the amount of snow here, on an average storm day one pass in either direction would suffice until the next day. On rare occasion, maybe a second or third pass necessary later in the day. But that would assume driving at times on a snow packed but well groomed road. My supposition is that there is some bigwig in these parts who moved here from Florida—with instructions given to keep the roads looking like that.

So it is regular doses of magnesium chloride (and into the river), and a determined plowing of this road (and its asphalt) to within an inch of its life. Although—strangely—this only applies during "business" hours. With any snow, this plow will be out well before first light, and then with intermittent regularity throughout the day (in need or not). But come late afternoon they disappear. If it should happen to really decide to snow after that and into the night, then anyone venturing out would be on their own. No doubt then complaining about the state of the roads, and perhaps with actually a point then.

So of course the good excuse to be out promptly—once the clock rolls around to the appointed hour—and out again soon plowing pavement.

Last edited by Idunn; 04-09-2013 at 12:29 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 12:50 PM

12,106 posts, read 20,439,902 times
It seems like this low pressure is really moving slow. I think its still by the 4 corners.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:37 PM

20,396 posts, read 37,978,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
From the far north end of COLO SPGS, near the USAF Academy...

Temp at 7PM was 60F, then we could see the front coming down over the Palmer Divide, wind picked up and is now hammering away with gusts up to 40MPH. Temp down to 40F by 8PM. No precip yet, just a lot of dusty air moving around.
Update:

Monday, 08 April, 11:00PM, temp of 32F, lots of wind and a cloud-like mist swirling around.

Tuesday, 09 April, 05:30AM, temp of 13F, lots of wind, light snow swirling around, a dusting on the lawn.

Tuesday, 09 April, 09:30AM, temp of 11F, lots of wind, light snow swirling around, a dusting on the lawn.

Tuesday, 09 April, 12:30PM, temp of 15F, lots of wind, no snow, much brighter overhead, a dusting on the lawn, virtually none on the roads.

IMO, the storm is essentially over at this location, save for the wind.

Winter storms now have names, this one is Winter Storm Walda.

Here's the list of Winter Storm Names for the winter of 2012-2013.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-09-2013 at 01:47 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 01:55 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,901,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
It seems like this low pressure is really moving slow. I think its still by the 4 corners.
I now live in Kingman AZ and its still passing thru here.......

Old 04-09-2013, 02:16 PM

10,027 posts, read 6,398,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

Winter storms now have names, this one is Winter Storm Walda.

Here's the list of Winter Storm Names for the winter of 2012-2013.
Oh...and WHY???

Were the meteorologists bored one day....?

Old 04-09-2013, 02:21 PM

1,994 posts, read 4,203,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Oh...and WHY???
Were the meteorologists bored one day....?

Nope-- the blame for that nonsense goes to The Weather Channel. http://www.weather.com/news/why-we-n...torms-20121001
Most meteorologists won't have anything to do with that silliness.
BTW just came in from shoveling 7" of "spring" from my porch. The snow had stopped and it was getting brighter. No sooner did I come inside when it began to snow again.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:28 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,512,833 times
Unike all of you softies who had their schools close down for snow, I ( like my parents and grandparents before me ) had to trudge 7 miles thru hip deep snow in a raging blizzard, to and from school, unless I had a note from the doctor confirming that I was close to death. But, I didn't do the doctor thing because the doctor was 8 miles away in the opposite direction and would have meant trudging an additional 2 miles thru the hip deep snow in raging blizzard conditions.

Moderator Edit: You forgot to point out that in COLO it was uphill, both ways.....

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-09-2013 at 02:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado