U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:14 PM

54 posts, read 53,482 times

Advertisements

Hello I currently live in California, am 18 years old (male) have interests in speaking, psychology, firearms, engineering and outdoorsman type of things. I do not like the way CA has its laws and would like to move to another state that has jobs relating to my interests. At the moment its primarily engineering of some type. Here is a list of what I would like in moving to another state.

I would like a state that is safe, has good schools, nice people, preferable free from hurricanes and such, gun friendly, preferably free form anti-____ (jewish, black, mexican etc) groups (KKK or groups of people) and has jobs that suit my interests. I plan on having a family later and if CA's laws in general were a bit more logical I might stay, but I dont think CA suits my needs.

So would Colorado fit my needs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 10:17 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,116,625 times
Unfortunately, Colorado, in many ways, is following the "California model"--maybe because so many Californians transplanted here. Many of them staunchly say that they left California because they didn't like what is has become, but are busily turning Colorado into just what they said that they wanted to escape. Go figure.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:02 PM

20,315 posts, read 37,826,095 times
Theme, there's some racism here, as everywhere. COLO has a long history of being rather racist and at one time, especially the 1920's, the KKK crowd either held public office or had notable influence on office holders in state and federal office. Most of that is long gone, or seems gone, with much of those attitudes hidden under the surface. But it's everywhere and its here too.

Lots of outdoorsman and firearms lifestyle here. Hunting is a passion among quite a few people.

Our colleges and universities are excellent in every category, including engineering, but few in the nation can match MIT, Stanford and a handful of others.

You sound like a good match for Colorado. You're young, go explore the world while you can.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:24 PM

9 posts, read 16,185 times
I would say that Mike from Back East is pretty accurate. I would say stay away from the Front Range (CO Springs, Denver, Ft Collins) since they are just typical metro areas with the exception that you can see mountains from them. The Western Slope is generally more rural and a lot more people hunt, fish etc

Old 09-13-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Our colleges and universities are excellent in every category, including engineering, but few in the nation can match MIT, Stanford and a handful of others.
That statement discounts the fact that higher education funding in Colorado is heading (along with a lot of other stuff) toward a fiscal disaster. Everybody tries to hide the results of a fiscal study a from around a year ago that spoke to Colorado's festering fiscal crisis. Interestingly, it was mentioned in an article about the Baby Boomers in Governing magazine this month (the whole issue is a must read, by the way). The article can be found here: Baby Boomers

The chilling quote from the article about Colorado follows below. What goes unmentioned is that the coming fiscal crisis in Colorado is essentially hard-wired into state and local Colorado government by inflexible Constitutional provisions well-buried into the Colorado Constitution that can only be modified by a vote of the people--by referendum that must (by the Colorado Constitution) be confined to single-subject votes. Bottom line: It is going to take an absolute complete fiscal wreck in Colorado before anything can be done to salvage even basic governmental services from fiscal failure. This coming wreck is why I'm working every day to liquidate any property that I have in this state and get out. It's sad for me, as a Colorado native who has been here for over a half-century to say that, but, as one who analyzes this kind of economic stuff as part of my work, I know that the quote below is spot-on correct. To the point about higher education, I added my emphasis in bold to the quote below:

Quote:
About a year ago, the Center for Colorado’s Economic Future at the University of Denver sent a small shudder through the state Capitol. The center’s analysts, who’d been asked by the Legislature to delve into the fiscal sustainability of state government, declared that Colorado was speeding toward a brick wall.

"Twelve years from now,” they wrote, “Colorado will generate only enough sales, income and other general-purpose tax revenue to pay for the three largest programs in the General Fund -- public schools, health care and prisons.” In other words, if nothing changes, taxpayers’ money will be eaten up by the young, old and poor, as well as by housing for criminals. Everything else -- public higher education, courts, child welfare, roads, bridges and other basic state services -- will have to go begging.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:42 PM

20,315 posts, read 37,826,095 times
Same old doom and gloom.

Situation sucks in almost every state these days. Life will go on. The young man will do fine, here, there, most anywhere, but COLO has what he's looking for.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Life will go on.
Yes, it will. But not in the way that most people find pleasant, comfortable, or in ways remotely like what they are used to--particularly for those just entering their working years or with several decades before they can retire. For the second half of Baby Boom generation and anyone younger, things are going to be much different and a whole lot tougher. That is the new reality. People with fat federal pensions and the like may dismiss it, but they are going to be a smaller and smaller minority of the population. For the rest of the middle class, it's a whole different story. Marry that demographic shift to Colorado's fiscal straight-jacket and you have the recipe for real trouble ahead--and it will fall disproportionately on the younger generations. And no amount of nonsense "happy talk" can change the reality.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:50 AM

10 posts, read 17,424 times
Dear boy.. I'm from Anaheim, but lived near laguna niguel in my last 20 yrs there.

Colorado is NOT a 'melting pot.' They can be racist. There are not a widespread amount of blacks, hispanics and vietnamese here.

They have/had some pretty odd laws in my opinion. Been here 14 yrs and learned a lot. Car dealerships are not open on Sundays. If you begin a deal at 3pm, likely you will be asked to come back the next day. Generally speaking, stores, malls close EARLY compared to CA. . They JUST allowed being able to buy liquor on Sundays I think last year. No kidding!

Jobs change like underwear here! It's called 'Right to Work' state. You can be terminated for many different reasons. My husband has been 'laid off,' or 'fired' for stupid reasons that we could've sued in Ca for... in 14 years, he's worked for at least 16 different employers. The pay scale is lower.

If you have a car accident and someone dies, the person that hit you doesn't necessarily go to jail.

i suggest what we did. Go to Barnes & Noble, buy a (Denver Post) Sunday newspaper every wk for a few months and READ every single page to learn about the state better.

Amber

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-29-2012 at 12:50 PM..

Old 12-05-2012, 07:09 PM

56 posts, read 88,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theme57 View Post
I would like a state that is safe, has good schools, nice people, preferable free from hurricanes and such, gun friendly, preferably free form anti-____ (jewish, black, mexican etc) groups (KKK or groups of people)
Yea, cause the evil white racists are just roaming the streets...

Old 12-07-2012, 06:22 AM

97 posts, read 101,042 times
jazzlover, may I ask where you are planning for your financial future?

And btw, jazzlover, perhaps legalizing MJ is a partial solution to the generational troubles in that article? With MJ tax money the schools will get funding and the pols can shift more robbing Peter attention to the boomers?

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-07-2012 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado