U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 01:22 PM

82 posts, read 173,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Unfortunately, that is exactly what IS happening to a lot of people.
You took my wording the wrong way. My statement was that it would be ruining "your" life, not theirs. As far as relocation, I can't help people if they relocate and do not know the potential consequences of such. Everyone should know that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

having said that, my opinion was that your post made it sound like folks relocating to this state have ruined your way of life and everyone should just stay where they currently live the rest of their lives. Again, this was my opinion of your wording. I don't think that's fair and it's quite rude to be honest. You state you'd like to leave Colorado. Where would you go? What if folks in other states had the same comment to where you would potentially live? Get my drift. No worries though. The OP will make their decision regardless of what an internet forum says. i just wish them luck.

Quote:
I know it snows a bit where you are and winters get chilly, but places here, it's WINTER, 30 below zero 40 feet of snow winter, people in mountain towns tend to get cabin fever and go a little crazy in winter here. Anyway, good luck to you whatever you decide.
To elaborate a bit on this, yes, the mountain community gets plenty of snow. But in all reality, places like Ft. Collins really don't get hammered. I have had more snow piled up here in my front yard in Massachusetts than I ever did in my 8 years in Colorado. The difference in Colorado is that you will get a week every month almost where the temperature climbs to a pretty warm level. I've been golfing in January and February. In Massachusetts, it's cold, period. All winter long. Plus the sun feels so much warmer there. Probably due to no humidity and being a mile closer to it..... Again, you will get snow, but once you're out of the foothills it's not that bad IMO.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 04:27 PM

2,441 posts, read 3,270,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glspringfield View Post
While we receive plenty of positive/supportive reaction from people in this area, we remain thirsty for a place that offers a little more diversity and open-mindedness (is that a word?). The desire for this kind of change goes beyond being a multi-racial family but that’s certainly an important consideration. Our extensive research has led us to a couple of places, Colorado (Longmont or the Fort Collins area) being at the top of that short list. Realizing that no place is perfect, we’ve focused on finding the best fit for our family.

This might sound hypocritical but one concern I have from reading some older forum posts is all the talk of the massive migration of people to these areas. I don't want to get stuck on this topic but I'm just curious if this really is a problem or if it has perhaps been exaggerated(?)
Perhaps you could elaborate more on why you would want to move here. In reading your original post I don't really see it as a good change. It sounds like you have it really good where you are with your support network and family. You won't really find diversity here so that would not be a good reason to chose here. I'm not sure of your definition of open minded. I think CO is more insular than someplace more cosmopolitan where world events seem to be more discussed but that is just my opinion. However the population in general is educated and there isn't alot of racisim. People do want to move here which is good for house prices if you currently own, but makes them expensive to buy into. Also more people require more schools, roads etc. (infrastructure) so taxes might be higher than an area that isn't really growing. You can't expect to move to a desirable area and have no one else desire it also. You have to expect that for the foreseeable future people will keep coming as long as there are jobs and a good quality of life.

Now if you said you wanted great outdoor opportunities, loved camping, hiking, biking etc and wanted to live somewhere that you could do outdoor things all year round and wanted a good safe area to raise kids with access to city amenities then I'd say the Colorado front range is a good area for that.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado