Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:53 PM

25 posts, read 40,516 times

Advertisements

We are a fairly young couple with two children (almost 4 and almost 2) looking for a fresh start in a place that is, in short, more “us”. We currently live in Springfield, MO, which is the area we’ve spent our entire lives. Springfield has been our comfort zone, and where other family will likely remain, but we have become increasingly “itchy” for a change.

One thing that makes us somewhat unique is that we are an adoptive family … my wife and I are Caucasian and our children are both Asian (adopted from China). While we receive plenty of positive/supportive reaction from people in this area, we remain thirsty for a place that offers a little more diversity and open-mindedness (is that a word?). The desire for this kind of change goes beyond being a multi-racial family but that’s certainly an important consideration. Our extensive research has led us to a couple of places, Colorado (Longmont or the Fort Collins area) being at the top of that short list. Realizing that no place is perfect, we’ve focused on finding the best fit for our family.

We both have bachelors degrees. I’m not a CPA but have had successful employment in the accounting field for years, most recently in the health care industry. My wife telecommutes for a large health insurance company, and would have the ability to keep her job wherever she goes. We have a great appreciation for the outdoors, the arts, sports, clean and healthy food, and a good cup of coffee. Obviously, as parents, we want a place that puts a lot into their schools and makes it easy to provide a multitude of great life experiences for kids. We understand that cost-of-living will be a substantial difference but our philosophy is that you get what you pay for (sorry Springfield).

This might sound hypocritical but one concern I have from reading some older forum posts is all the talk of the massive migration of people to these areas. I don't want to get stuck on this topic but I'm just curious if this really is a problem or if it has perhaps been exaggerated(?) In general, I'm just wondering if we could get some helpful feedback about this kind of "move" with our personal circumstances in mind. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 10:02 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,940,525 times
glspringfield wrote: the talk of the massive migration of people to these areas. I don't want to get stuck on this topic but I'm just curious if this really is a problem or if it has perhaps been exaggerated(?)

It's been grossly over exaggerrated!

Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,382,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
glspringfield wrote: the talk of the massive migration of people to these areas. I don't want to get stuck on this topic but I'm just curious if this really is a problem or if it has perhaps been exaggerated(?)

It's been grossly over exaggerrated!
I disagree. Colorado has had to endure excessive population growth for decades. The strain is showing on the state's limited water supplies. Despite massive efforts toward cleaning up air pollution, Colorado's metro areas are teetering toward non-attainment on air pollution standards.

The kind of growth Colorado is experiencing is the worst kind: auto-dependent sprawled suburban development that is not going to be sustainable over the long run. Colorado's governmental systems--dominated by the land development and real estate interests--has allowed endless development to occur that has not paid its own way--the profits from those developments privatized with the developers and the costs socialized upon the taxpayers. Not surprisingly, Colorado is mired in serious and worsening fiscal crisis. One can easily call this the "California model"--since Colorado is marching in lockstep with all of California's troubles and failures--just a decade or two behind. The final step in this fiscal and social destruction will occur--as is happening in California--when the state's economic climate becomes poisonous enough that the educated and employable middle class, along with a lot small to medium-size businesses, have had enough and begins to leave. Then, the non-productive and government-dependent welfare class, retirees too poor to leave, and illegal (now being made legal--illegally, in my opinion) immigrants will become the de facto voting majority and will vote themselves continuing benefits out of the empty public treasury--further encouraging middle-class flight from the state. The uber-rich can still enjoy Colorado (as they do in California)--most likely because they will only be part-time residents with residency claimed somewhere else, but most everyone else will pay a hefty premium to stay here, if they can afford to stay at all.

The handwriting is on the wall--if people are willing to look. There are plenty of posters on this forum who equate me to the "tin-foil-hat" crowd for my views, but I stand by them. I've been researching the economy of this state for decades--for nearly 20 years as part of my work--it is abundantly clear to me where this state is headed in the long run. That is why this half-century-plus Colorado native is working diligently to sell my remaining holdings here and get the hell out. My only mistake is that I may have waited a little too long--I think the "long-bust" may already be upon us.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:14 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,984,089 times
It looks like we are growing about 2% per year, some other areas are higher, but we're certainly in the top 30 or so. Nearly every one of the 366 areas are showing a growth though, are people just breeding uncontrollably? It seems like all are just adds, there are only a few areas with actual declines
Attached Thumbnails
Relocation from MO to CO?-capture.jpg  

Old 09-18-2012, 10:33 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,940,525 times
jazzlover wrote: The uber-rich can still enjoy Colorado (as they do in California)

The uber-rich can still enjoy ANYWHERE, but I wonder how much ( if any ) actual inner enjoyment they really experience.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:08 PM

82 posts, read 206,631 times
Quote:
There are plenty of posters on this forum who equate me to the "tin-foil-hat" crowd for my views, but I stand by them.
Good for you and standing by your principles. But that doesn't answer the OP's question about moving does it. Stop making people think that if they move here it will ruin your life. Don't like it, leave as you eluded to wanting to do anyway.

To the OP, Ft. Collins would be a great move for you. You will love it and so will your kids.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:55 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,382,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tights24 View Post
Stop making people think that if they move here it will ruin your life.
Unfortunately, that is exactly what IS happening to a lot of people. They blind themselves to the realities of the place before they move here and then wind up paying the price. It used to be that people could make stupid relocation mistakes and the inflating real estate bubble would bail them out of their mistake. That ain't happening, anymore. Make a relocation mistake now, and that mistake can cost plenty--in some cases, everything people have saved and then some.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:01 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,786,130 times
To the OP: Where in Colorado? This is a very diverse state, and I would suggest visiting first, visiting in the dead of winter, and talking to locals. I moved here from Fayetteville, AR three years ago and still haven't gotten over sticker shock. Everything from car tags, to insurance, to housing is very expensive. The good thing is here there are no tornadoes (at least where I am), no humidity, and the mosquitoes don't carry off small pets and children. I know it snows a bit where you are and winters get chilly, but places here, it's WINTER, 30 below zero 40 feet of snow winter, people in mountain towns tend to get cabin fever and go a little crazy in winter here. Anyway, good luck to you whatever you decide.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:13 AM

15,853 posts, read 35,022,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glspringfield View Post
We are a fairly young couple with two children (almost 4 and almost 2) looking for a fresh start in a place that is, in short, more “us”. We currently live in Springfield, MO, which is the area we’ve spent our entire lives. Springfield has been our comfort zone, and where other family will likely remain, but we have become increasingly “itchy” for a change.

One thing that makes us somewhat unique is that we are an adoptive family … my wife and I are Caucasian and our children are both Asian (adopted from China). While we receive plenty of positive/supportive reaction from people in this area, we remain thirsty for a place that offers a little more diversity and open-mindedness (is that a word?). The desire for this kind of change goes beyond being a multi-racial family but that’s certainly an important consideration. Our extensive research has led us to a couple of places, Colorado (Longmont or the Fort Collins area) being at the top of that short list. Realizing that no place is perfect, we’ve focused on finding the best fit for our family.

We both have bachelors degrees. I’m not a CPA but have had successful employment in the accounting field for years, most recently in the health care industry. My wife telecommutes for a large health insurance company, and would have the ability to keep her job wherever she goes. We have a great appreciation for the outdoors, the arts, sports, clean and healthy food, and a good cup of coffee. Obviously, as parents, we want a place that puts a lot into their schools and makes it easy to provide a multitude of great life experiences for kids. We understand that cost-of-living will be a substantial difference but our philosophy is that you get what you pay for (sorry Springfield).

This might sound hypocritical but one concern I have from reading some older forum posts is all the talk of the massive migration of people to these areas. I don't want to get stuck on this topic but I'm just curious if this really is a problem or if it has perhaps been exaggerated(?) In general, I'm just wondering if we could get some helpful feedback about this kind of "move" with our personal circumstances in mind. Thank you so much!
Spend some time there before you decide to move. Some people never get acclimated to the altitude. I lived in Colorado off and on for several years and never adjusted and was almost constantly sick because of it. Also, it sounds like you won't have a problem with this, but it's a culture that is obsessed with the outdoors, not being an outdoor person myself, I was bored to death there. YMMV of course.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-19-2012, 10:25 AM

345 posts, read 910,829 times
When I think of Colorado diversity is not something that comes to mind. For example our school puts out their report card and it is listed as such 49% White, 48% Hispanic, 3% other. The other is probably the three Black kids and one set of Asian kids. Even if you live in a college town that is not going to give you much in the way of diversity for your small children.
Lots of people think I am Hispanic since I have olive skin, I am asked a lot if I speak Spanish, nope but I speak English and Greek fluently, tyvm! Back East where I grew up there is a lot of diversity, here not much.

You should research, the cost of living here is much higher then Missouri. New car plates can cost you upward of $600 for the year, our real estate taxes are more then triple of MO, sales tax can be upward of 8%.
Visiting during the less pretty time in Winter is a good idea. That is good your wife can work where ever, not sure about the job market in your case. Visit and see if this is the place for you, it is not that far of a drive for a nice long weekend.

Yes lots of people move here but why does that matter? People move away as well. Find the place you are looking for and if it is a good fit then go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado