Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 05:48 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,352,928 times

Advertisements

I support anything in Colorado that creates jobs. That's more important than anything right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 08:27 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,446,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
I support anything in Colorado that creates jobs. That's more important than anything right now.
I'm curious if you and wanneroo support Mountaintop Removal Mining?

Mountaintop removal mining - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-22-2012, 09:47 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,662,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
At what cost though? Creating jobs is one thing, but creating hazards and superfund sites is another (not to mention earthquakes and other seismic activity due to disturbance). It's not as easy as just creating jobs! Part of our duty as human beings is to be good stewards of the land. Otherwise, what's the point? Why would you want to leave your children with the environmental problems that are associated with much of our energy production? It makes absolutely no sense to me to continue to do things the way it has always been done to fuel our endless "need" for energy.

You can reduce your energy consumption without going to the extreme that wanaroo stated earlier (living in a teepee and walking everywhere). We need to get off the sauce! Wanaroo claims that the liberals are toting apocalyptic scenarios to drive people into submission. However, the flip side is that big oil is toting an endless supply of resources right under this here USA to keep their pockets lined. Now, sorry, but who do you believe?!?!?

Old 09-22-2012, 09:53 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,609,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
We might be better off, at least we will still have a planet.
We still have a planet now. And what good is the planet to you if you are dead or live to 30 years old living in a barbaric society.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
At what cost though? Creating jobs is one thing, but creating hazards and superfund sites is another (not to mention earthquakes and other seismic activity due to disturbance). It's not as easy as just creating jobs! Part of our duty as human beings is to be good stewards of the land. Otherwise, what's the point? Why would you want to leave your children with the environmental problems that are associated with much of our energy production? It makes absolutely no sense to me to continue to do things the way it has always been done to fuel our endless "need" for energy.

You can reduce your energy consumption without going to the extreme that wanaroo stated earlier (living in a teepee and walking everywhere). We need to get off the sauce! Wanaroo claims that the liberals are toting apocalyptic scenarios to drive people into submission. However, the flip side is that big oil is toting an endless supply of resources right under this here USA to keep their pockets lined. Now, sorry, but who do you believe?!?!?
There are very few cases of fracking causing earthquakes. Earthquakes are natural and happen more often than people think.

Why reduce energy consumption? We already did that stupidity in the Carter year and it helped keep the economy on it's knees. Instead make it plentiful so the economy can grow and develop.

The Regressives(they like to call themselves progressives) don't offer anything but a fairy tale utopia of all this "FREE!" stuff that requires totalitarian control. The best thing to do is let the economy grow with plentiful energy and there will be plenty of time and money to develop better technologies. The populace cannot develop better technologies living in a teepee and trying to live off of flowers and berries.

We have centuries of oil and gas supplies. There is no reason why we cannot tap into that right now.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:21 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,662,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Why reduce energy consumption? We already did that stupidity in the Carter year and it helped keep the economy on it's knees. Instead make it plentiful so the economy can grow and develop.

The Regressives(they like to call themselves progressives) don't offer anything but a fairy tale utopia of all this "FREE!" stuff that requires totalitarian control. The best thing to do is let the economy grow with plentiful energy and there will be plenty of time and money to develop better technologies. The populace cannot develop better technologies living in a teepee and trying to live off of flowers and berries.

We have centuries of oil and gas supplies. There is no reason why we cannot tap into that right now.

You don't know that there will be plenty of time! This is the inherent flaw with your logic. By continuing to use our dirty energy, we are changing the climate of the earth at a very rapid pace. This has been proven (but, oh yeah, you don't believe that). There will never be plenty of time and money to develop better technologies because the oil companies don't want that!

And, again, I will reiterate that you don't have to live in a teepee and live off flowers and berries to reduce energy consumption (simple changes make a big difference). However, Americans have grown so accustomed to a certain way of life, one of mass consumerism, which leads one to believe they will have to do this in order to get off big oil and gas. Your beloved oil companies perpetuate this myth.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:39 PM

122 posts, read 208,204 times
Quote:
This has been proven (but, oh yeah, you don't believe that).
Of course, so why are people still arguing with wanneroo about this? Last time this happened, the topic was locked, and this one is headed that way as well.

I consider him to be a voice of reason in all things related to fracking, but once the discussion veers into politics the guy totally goes off his rocker; if he were to also claim that air pollution and the current drought are silly liberal myths, I wouldn't be surprised. It's obvious by now that he's going to be a brick wall in any energy debate, so can we try and steer this topic away from politics and more towards the possible issues that fracking imposes for homeowners? (i.e. getting building permits approved, mineral/energy rights, etc.)

Old 09-22-2012, 06:53 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,968,186 times
Wink Areas of fracking in Colorado (map)

In answer to the original question, one should largely be free of fracking in the mountains of Colorado.

This map[1] indicates that the central mountains of Colorado, San Juan, as well plains of the far southeast region, should remain free of fracking. Not because they would not frack the entire state if able, only due the underlying geology not being suitable.

As far as I know there is no fracking activity in Estes Park, which probably applies to all in the Front Range Mountains. However that changes once one reaches the plains; meaning all the towns and cites of the Front Range, Colorado Springs to Fort Collins, are susceptible. There is presently a lot of fracking activity in the northeast quadrant of Colorado, and that extends to the edge of the mountains.

1) 'Fracking Across the United States,' Earth Justice
Fracking Across the United States | Earthjustice

Old 09-22-2012, 08:01 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,352,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I'm curious if you and wanneroo support Mountaintop Removal Mining?

Mountaintop removal mining - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No, because that's an illegal practice now. Not that I would anyway, that is too invasive. Fracking? Who cares about a bunch of wells on flat land? Everything east of I-25 is basically worthless anyway.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
You don't know that there will be plenty of time! This is the inherent flaw with your logic. By continuing to use our dirty energy, we are changing the climate of the earth at a very rapid pace. This has been proven (but, oh yeah, you don't believe that). There will never be plenty of time and money to develop better technologies because the oil companies don't want that!

And, again, I will reiterate that you don't have to live in a teepee and live off flowers and berries to reduce energy consumption (simple changes make a big difference). However, Americans have grown so accustomed to a certain way of life, one of mass consumerism, which leads one to believe they will have to do this in order to get off big oil and gas. Your beloved oil companies perpetuate this myth.
There is plenty of time, we know what we have now and learn more by the minute thanks to 3D seismic surveys. We have hundreds of years of easily accessible oil and gas products.

How do you know they don't want that? The energy companies are some of the most innovative out there. Fracking technology improves by the week. It's not even what it was a year ago.

Oil companies for the most part are energy companies. They are in the energy business and will always look to fulfill demand for energy, whatever the consumer wants.

No I do not believe in man made global warming. It's been proven to be a fraud and I know enough now that it's clear the earth has many cyclical changes in climate. The earth did not begin in 1970 either. It's just hysteria to panic people and drive behavior. They know that taking control of you by force will be met with force, so they concoct all these apocalyptic scenarios to guilt trip you, make you feel bad and by gradually imposing rule after rule until one day you wake up with no freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado