U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 08:32 PM

15 posts, read 26,582 times

Advertisements

oh yeah and someone asked why we can't come late. Unfortunately, that's the time hubby can actually get away from the office. So we are hoping for the best and lots of snow :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 10:01 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,612,294 times
You might post your question over on the Trip advisor forum, there are a bunch of destination experts for the Breck area that can help with accommodations and fun things to do.
Colorado Forum, Travel Discussion for Colorado - TripAdvisor

Old 09-26-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
You might post your question over on the Trip advisor forum, there are a bunch of destination experts for the Breck area that can help with accommodations and fun things to do.
Colorado Forum, Travel Discussion for Colorado - TripAdvisor
thank you! I will check it out.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:46 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,622,297 times
If you want good skiing, try to get time off in March or even the first half April. Yes, skiing in the east sucks - I did it for 30 years.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:00 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,200,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almommyof2 View Post
Thank you all so very much!!! Please keep the suggestions coming!! I canceled our cabin in Fairplay. I really hated to do that since the owner was super nice but both my husband and I agree that it will be much less stressful to stay in Breck. We are at least wanting a 2 bedroom condo though that is semi secluded. I emailed several on VRBO tonight. We should be in Breck by lunch thursday and fly out Sunday at 1. Does our itinerary sound good or what would add or take away? We are having a hard time planing Saturday as we want it memorable as our last day there but we don't want to spend tons that day since we are spending a lot to ski and for ski school for out. What would you all suggest? Also do you think snow will actually be on the ground? Thank you all so much!!
As others, myself included, have stated, be very careful about altitude sickness. You really have not planned any time for your body to acclimate with the huge adjustment. If I were you, I'd spend at least a few hours in Denver on Thursday, instead of hopping off the plane, jumping in the car and driving to 9,000+ feet. While none of you may experience sickness, it sure can ruin your whole weekend if one of you does. I would also be careful not to drink too much alcohol (if you drink at all) while in Breck and stick mostly with water, as others have also recommended.

Here's an interesting article I found about altitude sickness. It states that 20-30% will experience some signs at altitudes above 7,000. That number climbs to 50% above 10,000 feet. Ibuprofen may ward off altitude sickness - HealthPop - CBS News The town of Breckenridge sits at 9,600 feet. The mountains, which you will be skiing are upwards of 12,000 feet. I also stumbled across this article on how to adapt to altitude, which is worth a read. 9 Ways to Adapt to the Elevation and Avoid Altitude Sickness Take note, that the best remedy to altitude sickness is to descend. This may mean your trip is over before it really has begun.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:13 AM

2,253 posts, read 5,838,130 times
Wink A few thoughts on Breck, etc.

To begin with the snow, there is already some dusting the high peaks above Breckenridge. Or at least there was a few days ago, as at this point it still tends to melt back off in the sun. So at minimum you should be able to see this, and by then a permanent feature more fully advanced.

How that will translate to the ski slopes below is a roll of the dice, with the odds against one due your visit so early in the season. The season for these ski areas has been advanced and insured on some runs due snow making, so one can at least count on that. I do not know Breck's schedule on this, but believe it is customary to have some runs operational by at least Thanksgiving. But as far as Mother Nature is concerned, that is pushing it. As others have mentioned, last year was terrible for snow, yet that previous quite good; if not expecting primo conditions, and for some beginner and intermediate skiing, then one can have a fine time. With luck, even with a decent amount of real snow.

Since you have but a few days, it may be best to pace yourself and enjoy that which comes along. As also previously mentioned, not to be overlooked that one is almost immediately traveling nearly 10,000 feet higher and then perhaps expecting to hit the ground running. So at least on Thursday one might want to just wander around Breckenridge, which should be entertaining, or if with a vehicle then take the opportunity to visit Keystone, Frisco, and some of the other sights in Summit County, not limited to looking at some of the other ski areas, such as A-Basin.

If then feeling like skiing on Friday, fine. If one's body disagrees, then perhaps wait until Saturday. If not trying to do everything, then able to take a deep breath of that crisp mountain air and relax. Breck is a small town, if with a lot of lodging and services within its confines; greater Summit County is mostly wilderness with a few small towns in close proximity. So while one could try doing a marathon or something, a great part of the charm is simply in being there and enjoying the mountain ambience.

Lodging in that area is expensive during ski season. One could save some money by securing a hotel room in Frisco, Silverthorne or so forth. But if but a short distance, the drive between even Frisco and Breck is not all that much fun; and if for a special visit then it should be a lot simpler and more memorable if residing directly in Breckenridge—versus, say, way off in Fairplay. There are some absolutely fabulous options in doing so, essentially mansions fronting as private ski cabins, so it all comes down to how much one is willing to pay.

Although understandably wishing a secluded residence, do consider the practical realities. There are some "cabins" up the hill west of town which are semi secluded, all lovely, and with good access to a mid-point on the gondola rising from a parking area in town, with terminus directly at the base of the Peak 8 ski slopes. However, aside from the inevitably high cost of such an option, also reality that one will surely be driving down the hill—and then finding limited parking—to visit town. For just skiing it is hard to beat the possibility of skiing from one's front door to the lifts, and then directly back home at the end of the day. There are places in Breck which offer exactly that, if relatively few in the grand scheme. More often some house or condo in the woods with no view, and near the slopes, but exactly how one gets there another matter. Presumably Breck runs shuttle buses for exactly this purpose, because there is a lot of lodging relatively near the slopes—but a very long walk from it in ski boots—and with not much public parking in evidence.

Since skiing is only part of this soirée, it probably isn't worth the expense of securing lodging specifically dedicated to it. Consider that the base of the Peak 9 lift begins directly from town, with a lot of lodging options nearby. Your condo may not end up very secluded, yet perhaps quite comfortable in a high rise with a great view of the ski slopes and mountains. Or one could end up looking at the parking lot: so do choose exactly where you wish to be. In any event, if planned for, one could easily arrive, park the car, and happily never see it again until Sunday.

Let's face it, ski resorts are expensive, and skiing is for most (save some locals with season passes, etc.). But while one could go to Aspen, or Breck for that matter, and blow a small fortune, one needn't to have a great time. A little planning now will help advise where some extra money spent will be worth it, or where economizing in no more than window shopping exactly the thing. Just being there can be wonderful, so begin with that with everything else as possible bonus. Oh, and do choose the lodging carefully.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:35 PM

Thank you all. I really enjoyed the linked articles. We are flying into Denver quite early so we could hang out a few hours and eat a brunch before heading up to the mountain. After further research I agree Fairplay was crazy. Thank you all for being honest with me about it. I really appreciate it!! I have found several nice 2 bedroom condos (that are ski in ski out or very close to the slopes. Most are $350-450 for the 3 nights which I find very reasonable so I am happy about that. I would say we are intermediate skiers so do you think we will be okay and not be super disappointed? Hey, I think the scenery alone, mixed with the cold weather, and having a vacation we have always wanted to take will be great. :-) Not to mention we will at least have some skiing. Last year was bad for our country as a whole but was really bad for those of us out east. :/ Hardly any winter at all!

Old 09-27-2012, 02:05 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,115,168 times
Unfortunately you keep asking us a question that we can't answer -- "will you be disappointed in the skiing" if you come in November. Most of us have said "yes" because the snow is usually not good that time of year and encouraged you to come in March or April. You probably don't know, but March and April are the snowiest months in Denver, while the east coast is already enjoying Spring.

If you MUST come in November, then please realize that the skiing you will experience is NOT Colorado's best. While you may have a good time (and Breck is a great place), in all likelihood only a fraction of the lifts will be open and the snow may be more man-made than natural as the resorts vie to see who can open the earliest. And, as stated before, a great winter one year may be an awful winter the next. It all depends on El Nino or La Nina, or the weather gods.

So, come and hopefully have a wonderful vacation, but maybe in a couple of years you can come back and experience some of Colorado's champagne powder -- you won't find anything like it in the northeast.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Unfortunately you keep asking us a question that we can't answer -- "will you be disappointed in the skiing" if you come in November. Most of us have said "yes" because the snow is usually not good that time of year and encouraged you to come in March or April. You probably don't know, but March and April are the snowiest months in Denver, while the east coast is already enjoying Spring.

If you MUST come in November, then please realize that the skiing you will experience is NOT Colorado's best. While you may have a good time (and Breck is a great place), in all likelihood only a fraction of the lifts will be open and the snow may be more man-made than natural as the resorts vie to see who can open the earliest. And, as stated before, a great winter one year may be an awful winter the next. It all depends on El Nino or La Nina, or the weather gods.

So, come and hopefully have a wonderful vacation, but maybe in a couple of years you can come back and experience some of Colorado's champagne powder -- you won't find anything like it in the northeast.
Thank you! Our hope after this trip is to start making an annual or semi annual trip. We are just going to enjoy this time expecting a great vacation and then when we come back in a few years we will plan for the spring instead. Thanks for your help. I can promise you it will at least feel like winter compared to where I am at. (about 3 hours from ATL)

Old 09-27-2012, 03:48 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,023,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almommyof2 View Post
Thank you! Our hope after this trip is to start making an annual or semi annual trip. We are just going to enjoy this time expecting a great vacation and then when we come back in a few years we will plan for the spring instead. Thanks for your help. I can promise you it will at least feel like winter compared to where I am at. (about 3 hours from ATL)
It will definitely be winter/cold in Breck. The snow is not going to measure up to later in the season, but it doesn't sound like your trip is that long in duration anyways. If you were there for a week or 2 skiing everyday in November then it might not meet most people's expectations.

It depends on the November, but you can get good storms in that month that drop lots of snow. It's just a chance you'll have to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado