U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 06:33 PM

6 posts, read 20,629 times

Advertisements

I can't find a single internet service provider for Bailey, CO (Friendship Ranch, to be specific).

Any ideas?

Thank you for your help, we're moving into our new place in a couple of weeks and I need connectivity for work and my sanity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 07:33 PM

2,784 posts, read 2,567,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooz2 View Post
I can't find a single internet service provider for Bailey, CO (Friendship Ranch, to be specific).

Any ideas?

Thank you for your help, we're moving into our new place in a couple of weeks and I need connectivity for work and my sanity!
Wild blue should work anywhere you can see the southern sky. It is super expensive if you actually use it for downloads/music/vids etc. It does seem pretty fast and reliable though.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:20 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,834,746 times
Wink Do not automatically accept "no"

Satellite is an expensive option, more as last resort.

DSL is offered in some fairly out of the way places. Presumably you've checked with your local phone provider, and told they do not offer such service at that location—but do not necessarily believe it. If I had—and (formerly) Qwest swore to it repeatedly on a stack of Bibles—I still wouldn't have internet service (at least with them). Moral of that story: find a local phone company technician to determine what is really up, disregard what the head office and its computers think.

It seems inconceivable that with all the many people there that Bailey and vicinity would not offer such service. But if one is really out in the woods . . .

Old 09-25-2012, 08:20 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,618,652 times
Might have to use HughsNet, slow but better than nothing.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:34 AM

4,747 posts, read 7,491,873 times
Check with SKYBEAM High-Speed Internet and Unlimited Phone

They offer fixed wireless (WiMax) service in the Bailey area. (and other non-cable/non-DSL areas around Denver)

Let us know if this works for you, or not.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Check with SKYBEAM High-Speed Internet and Unlimited Phone

They offer fixed wireless (WiMax) service in the Bailey area. (and other non-cable/non-DSL areas around Denver)

Let us know if this works for you, or not.
Our address does fall within their covered area but apparently the land rise near our property blocks the view of the satellite so they can't offer us server. I was excited to see their phone/internet option. Bummer.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Might have to use HughsNet, slow but better than nothing.
I called them and the guy I spoke was uncomfortably pushy, trying to coerce me into paying for the faster option. While I probably will end up paying for it, I explained to the guy that I wanted to discuss with my husband first. He was offended and kept pushing me, saying they were the only provider in the area. I hope he was lying. I never gave him my number but he called me the next day morning to see if I was ready to move forward. I made a comment, not in a mean way, about how pushy he was being. The guy hung up on me and I've been getting multiple texts from them daily since then.

I'd almost rather not have internet than deal with a company like that.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:11 PM

4,747 posts, read 7,491,873 times
Quote:
Our address does fall within their covered area but apparently the land rise near our property blocks the view of the satellite so they can't offer us server. I was excited to see their phone/internet option. Bummer.
Bummer is right. BTW, WiMax does not use satellites. It is more like cellular phone, uses nearby towers. But the towers do need to be close to "line-of-sight". Keep checking with them. They add towers based on demand.

Have you checked into any of the new 4G smartphone services, whereby your phone becomes a WiFi hotspot ?? Of course it too will depend on how well that service penetrates your area.
Verizon Wireless - Explore Not sure on costs.

Found this article from local paper. A year old, but may offer some insight. Good luck.
http://www.theflume.com/news/article...a4bcf6878.html

Last edited by reed303; 09-25-2012 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: addl info

Old 09-27-2012, 09:24 AM

Looks like HughesNet is our only option. They aren't necessarily over priced but after using local high-speed for $30 a month, going to $50 a month plus the equipment plus a 10gb usage cap per month... that hurts.

Thank you all for your help!

Old 09-27-2012, 09:49 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,196,177 times
Quote:
Looks like HughesNet is our only option. They aren't necessarily over priced but after using local high-speed for $30 a month, going to $50 a month plus the equipment plus a 10gb usage cap per month... that hurts.

Thank you all for your help!
This is often the case when moving from an urban area into a rural area. I remember paying about $30/month for really shoddy dial up in Fairplay. Of course, pretty much everything was dial up in those days, but when service was out more often than not, it made you question why you even had it. Hopefully you get better service soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or