U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 10:00 AM

11,242 posts, read 7,252,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Loveland.

Winter Park has a whole school for special needs. Check it out.
I was going to suggest both too. The only thing about Loveland I don't like is it can get a bit windy from time to time but it really isn't that crowded compared to other slopes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 10:07 AM

6,572 posts, read 5,860,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I was going to suggest both too. The only thing about Loveland I don't like is it can get a bit windy from time to time but it really isn't that crowded compared to other slopes.
Loveland Valley (the beginner area) is much more protected from the wind than the rest of the area.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:52 PM

4 posts, read 2,013 times
Question Where should a newbie go skiing in Colorado for the first time? Take classes to learn skiing?

I've been in Colorado for 10 months and have yet to go skiiing! I tried my first month in Breckenridge but I learned the hard way that elevation sickness is a thing.

I'm sort of at a loss now of where to go as a newbie and where they might have classes so I can learn skiing.
Also, how much do you spend per ski trip on rentals, lift tickets and your stay? I want to know how much to save.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:58 PM

12,843 posts, read 23,226,622 times
Winter Park is good for newbies.

That being said, I went once and never again.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:52 PM

6,572 posts, read 5,860,508 times
Loveland. Closest to Denver and one of the least expensive mountains.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:30 AM

2,670 posts, read 1,674,615 times
If you live in Denver, Loveland will be closest. If your in Ft Collins, Eldora may be the best bet. South of Castle Rock, consider Monarch or Ski Cooper.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:51 AM

4,293 posts, read 6,411,854 times
You can learn Anywhere, so just pick whatever's close or cheap.

As for costs, if you rent Away from the ski hill you can usually get better prices. Typically there are locals specials that float around too (or there were in Denver about a decade ago). But check with the different hills, a LOT of places have a "learn to ski" special. The hill I frequent the most has $100 for 3 days of skiing, rentals and 3 lessons. Now, that price is going to be shockingly low to anyone in CO, that's because it's a small hill in Montana (my folks retired 15 miles away). Loveland offers a "free" season pass with this 3-day class package: 3-CLASS PASS - Loveland Ski Area :: Colorado Ski Snowboarding Resort, Skiing Season Pass, Ski SchoolLoveland Ski Area :: Colorado Ski Snowboarding Resort, Skiing Season Pass, Ski School ~ etc...

Old 12-30-2017, 10:46 AM

20,315 posts, read 37,820,570 times
IIRC from reading 11 years of postings in here, isn't Loveland considered a good place for new skiers, same for Monarch?

I'm going to merge this thread into the existing thread on this topic....so that ASH needs to go back to the start and read up on it, then come back with more questions he might have for us.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:54 PM

135 posts, read 78,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdub View Post
(Oops, skiiers should be skiers...) What ski resorts would you recommend for beginner skiers/snowboarders? I grew up skiing, but took a 20+ year hiatus until recently, and my husband just started learning to snowboard. We are both more comfortable on green runs or easier blue runs. (For now!)

We have been to Breck, Winter Park and Vail (yikes!). Vail was very technical and steep for us, and we didn't have much fun there, even on the greens. We liked Breck, and Winter Park was nice, but it was pretty flat on some of the green runs toward the bottom of the hills. We felt like we were killing ourselves mushing/skating to the lifts once the runs flattened out!

Any other suggestions for mountains we might enjoy? TIA
At your guys level you'd probably like Keystone and Copper best, it has long groomers and it has everything else once you get a little more confident. There's something there for everyone. Breck is fun and you can get the epic local for that, but Keystone is just as good IMO.

Keystone/Abaisn pass is cheap, the RMSP+ isn't bad.

If you don't have a season pass go to Loveland.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:11 PM

2,646 posts, read 1,830,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Loveland. Closest to Denver and one of the least expensive mountains.
If Altitude sickness is a problem Loveland Ski area is not the best choice.

But then, most cases of Altitude sickness are caused by too much activity too soon after getting into high altitude areas, and dehydration.

Go up the night before, if possible, get a good night sleep and stay hydrated. Get a modest breakfast, and ease into the activity.
And when you feel tired, stop and rest. And HYDRATE!

Loveland and Vail both have great beginner slopes, So does Beaver Creek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado