U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 09:03 AM

255 posts, read 545,156 times

Advertisements

(Oops, skiiers should be skiers...) What ski resorts would you recommend for beginner skiers/snowboarders? I grew up skiing, but took a 20+ year hiatus until recently, and my husband just started learning to snowboard. We are both more comfortable on green runs or easier blue runs. (For now!)

We have been to Breck, Winter Park and Vail (yikes!). Vail was very technical and steep for us, and we didn't have much fun there, even on the greens. We liked Breck, and Winter Park was nice, but it was pretty flat on some of the green runs toward the bottom of the hills. We felt like we were killing ourselves mushing/skating to the lifts once the runs flattened out!

Any other suggestions for mountains we might enjoy? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 10:04 AM

13,178 posts, read 18,826,048 times
Copper

Old 09-26-2012, 11:59 AM

4,640 posts, read 9,148,697 times
You could start at Loveland, which has a great area for learning. But if you want the resort experience, then I second Copper. They have lots of easy beginner runs, and the beginner runs are separated from the intermediate and advanced areas.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:34 PM

Copper looks perfect. Thanks!

Old 09-26-2012, 01:55 PM

2,858 posts, read 4,710,271 times
Copper is terrific for learning... you will have a lot of fun there.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:27 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,624,730 times

Kidding.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:59 PM

521 posts, read 693,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdub View Post
Vail was very technical and steep for us...even on the greens. We liked Breck, and Winter Park was nice, but it was pretty flat on some of the green runs toward the bottom of the hills. We felt like we were killing ourselves mushing/skating to the lifts once the runs flattened out!

Unfortuantely, you won't find perfectly graded trails for beginners anywhere. Every beginner trail anywhere is going to have fluctuations in terrain unless you try to learn somewhere like the Molly Hogan lift at A-Basin which is pointless unless you ONLY want to go one mile an hour on the absolute flattest of runs.

Part of being a beginner is pushing yourself to be more comfortable on runs (even greens) that you normally wouldn't do. It's called progression. If you don't want to progress beyond basic learning abilities skiing will get pretty boring very quickly.

I'm afraid if you found Vail's green runs "very technical and steep," there aren't many other places that aren't on the east coast that you'll find comfortable skiing an entire day. You might want to try Keystone but, like I said before, if Vail's greens wasn't your cup of tea, niether will Key's be.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:15 PM

2,858 posts, read 4,710,271 times
I would also say Buttermilk is very nice for learning and getting comfortable.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post
Unfortuantely, you won't find perfectly graded trails for beginners anywhere. Every beginner trail anywhere is going to have fluctuations in terrain unless you try to learn somewhere like the Molly Hogan lift at A-Basin which is pointless unless you ONLY want to go one mile an hour on the absolute flattest of runs.

Part of being a beginner is pushing yourself to be more comfortable on runs (even greens) that you normally wouldn't do. It's called progression. If you don't want to progress beyond basic learning abilities skiing will get pretty boring very quickly.

I'm afraid if you found Vail's green runs "very technical and steep," there aren't many other places that aren't on the east coast that you'll find comfortable skiing an entire day. You might want to try Keystone but, like I said before, if Vail's greens wasn't your cup of tea, niether will Key's be.
Yes, I understand that you need to push yourself and challenge yourself to get better. We are fully willing to do so once we have comfortably adjusted to skiing/snowboarding, and we feel more confident. Like I said, I am starting back into skiing after 20+ years, but my husband is a true beginner. I feel comfortable doing greens and blues, and he feels comfortable on greens for now.

Also, I was saying that Winter Park tended to be too flat towards the bottom of the runs and not so fun. We are not looking for flat and boring... Also, I respectfully disagree about Vail. Their green runs seemed to criss cross blues and blacks quite a bit, or the green runs tended to be catwalks and rather flat along stretches, too. It was pretty clear to us that Vail caters to the more advanced skiers.

I grew up skiing out east in NY, and I have skied in CO and Utah. I am pretty familiar with the differences in terrain, but it seems that there is pretty wide variation in what is called a green or blue run. Some greens are nearly flat, and some have quite a pitch. We enjoy green and blue runs that aren't ridiculously steep, and Copper looks like it would be ideal for now. Thanks!

Old 09-28-2012, 04:10 PM

And, thanks, Idlewile... We will have to check out Buttermilk, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado