U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 12:15 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiller91 View Post
Thanks Mike from Back East... that pretty much sums up how I feel about your area... as apparently does everyone else Luckily my cold snap lasted the entire week I was there so I got to see it. I can live with it if it doesn't last until April like it does here.

I just wish my AZ opportunity was in Denver! I have to pay for a move to Denver, where I wouldn't to AZ... but small price to pay I'm sure!

Thanks so much!
The cold snaps won't last to April, nor will it be slate gray with bone chilling humidity all winter as we've heard from those who've left there for here. Our winters here in the I-25 corridor are mostly sunny with low humidity. Some days there will be wind but we live with it just fine.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 12:36 PM

538 posts, read 569,058 times
Quote:
Thanks for your response! I am considering a position in Tucson and I'm nervous about having to make a decision! In my current job I can live anywhere in Central US, but I'm not as challenged as I'd like to be. This new position would be a great opportunity.

Tucson has a much lower cost of living (it appears) than Denver in the sense that there is a housing glut and houses are very affordable.

In Denver I am amazed at the number of people jumping on this board to announce "moving to Denver". Where do all those people go? It's scary! But I can see why. I love the outdoors.

We have been to Colordao numerous times in the summer. We explored Fort Collins when my daughter chose a college (she's a WI Badger) I was in Denver once for work and the nation was in a deep freeze. it about killed me in Denver, with 0 and lower degrees every single day, add the dry indoor air. Top it off with an altitude headache. i couldn't wait to go home.

So now, if the Tucson job doesn't pan out, we are going to visit Denver area in February to witness this bright warm sun we hear about. I hate treadmills and I run outside. But in WI for 3-4 months that means snow, cold, wind, ice and slush. So sick of all that! If I can mostly run outside in the winter... that would make a big difference.

My husband and I decided that it's really about Monday-Friday, not what you can do on weekends. So we like to walk, enjoy the outdoors, bike, take in sunshine. It seems both places would fit that need. In the summer in Tucson, you go out at dusk. That's fine too!

Oh well, I'll see how it goes in Tucson for now.

Also worried about my daughter - graduating in nursing next year and likely to follow me. I need her to be employable. I think my husband just wants a break!!!! (and a man cave)
We have a young adult daughter (a med tech) moving with us too, and her employment and social opps have certainly been on our radar as well. The Front Range has many, very nice, relatively affordable towns outside of Denver (including FC). As far as the COL differences between the two, not as different as you might imagine. Overall tax burdens in both states are similar, housing costs vary in both places, depending on your preferences.

We worked with a realtor, briefly, in Tucson and we found that what we got for our criteria and price point was similar in both places. We were looking at older, established communities close to the city. I believe there are much better deals in some of the newer cookie cutter subs farther up the Valley. Groceries are almost the same everywhere, but we found Phoenix to be surprisingly higher than where we currently live in the PNW. Property taxes in CO are low compared with what we currently spend.

Re the dry air, I had problems in both states. Hydration is the key, but my sinuses didn't like
AZ or CO.

It sounds like you're leaning towards Tucson and you may love it there. Agreed that winter hiking would be heaven. It really comes down the the quality of life you envision for yourself.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:42 PM

20,168 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Quote:
I have heard Phoenix might be hotter than Tucson in the summer? Not sure why?
Tuscon is slightly higher elevated and doesn't have the urban heat island like Phoenix. The mildest climates in AZ are those with HIGHER ELEVATIONS. This is huge the further south you go in latitude. Prescott has a pleasant four season climate with little snow and is over 5,000ft elevation. Flagstaff is close to 7,500ft elevation but they get a bit more snow, but still very sunny most of the time.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:25 PM

230 posts, read 339,283 times
In all honesty, if I had to pick climate, I would pick Denver area. I think it's less of a culture/climate shock for me over moving to the desert. I've never been fascinated with southern AZ other than to visit in the winter.. and I have seen those 108 days!

I think mainly it's the job opportunity that has me thinking about AZ... but I think jobs for my husband and daughter might be harder in Tucson. It sounds as though unemployment is much higher there. This is an important consideration!

Old 09-29-2012, 06:18 PM

20,168 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Quote:
In all honesty, if I had to pick climate, I would pick Denver area. I think it's less of a culture/climate shock for me over moving to the desert. I've never been fascinated with southern AZ other than to visit in the winter.. and I have seen those 108 days!

I think mainly it's the job opportunity that has me thinking about AZ... but I think jobs for my husband and daughter might be harder in Tucson. It sounds as though unemployment is much higher there. This is an important consideration!
Prescott is very retiree oriented and Flagstaff has the university. Both areas aren't would I would really consider metro areas. The biggest employment centers are obviously still going to be Phoenix or Denver. Northern AZ is great for those that want some seasonal changes, but without the ridiculous heat.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:

The job market in the Denver Metro is definitely better and so are the salaries. Socially, I think you'd like it, as well. I was raised in Illinois and I found this area of Colorado to be very down to Earth and friendly in a similar way to the Midwest - lots of transplants, in fact.

Don't mean to sound overly biased, I also think that Tucson has it's own charm and, if you're worn out from too many cold winters, it might be a really nice change, at least for a while.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:50 AM

833 posts, read 1,381,749 times
Quote:

I am biased, very biased, but as someone who grew up in Denver and has been in Tucson for 18 years, there is NO comparison, Denver wins hands-down.

The job market in Tucson is tough. There are a few companies that pay well (Raytheon most notably), optics and some med-tech seem to be the hot fields here, but most other fields are tough. Not being in Denver I can't speak about the job market as authoritatively, but generally a bigger city has more options. There have been a few threads in here (and the Denver board) lately about various fields you may want to peruse.

If art/culture are important then Tucson is far behind as well. There are some things that are picking up, but for most of the big events you need to go to Phoenix.

As for weather, the heat in Tucson cannot be understood unless it is experienced. It gets hot, it stays hot (even after dark) and for months on end you will not open your windows. 90 degrees at 9pm is not unusual during the summer. Plenty of people do exercise then, but I don't, it's just so hot it sucks all of the energy out of my body. You know there is something wrong when you walk outside and groan because it's another day of the crappy heat.

The winters are great, but personally, I miss having the four season I grew up with (even if two of them are short and slightly schizophrenic in Denver). The trade-off is last year I wore my leather jacket less than 10 days, my light jacket less than two months and shorts were OK 10 months out of the year.

Housing is much cheaper here, I believe food is about the same and the way gas fluctuates I don't know if you can really compare, but there doesn't seem to be a huge difference (Tucson may win by a few cents).

If you haven't already gone to the Tucson board, check it out. It isn't nearly as active as the Colorado or Denver boards, but there are some good people there that will help you out.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:11 PM

Thanks Prodigal Native... such a helpful post!!! I was kidding to my daughter when I compare the two boards (Tucson and Denver), there are tumbleweeds blowing through the Tucson board... compared with Denver with three "I'm moving to Denver" posts every day.

I worry there isn't room for us LOL, but hey, why should I sit back and let everyone else move??? Interestingly, we had a guy move here from Boulder (to Madison, WI) a few years back. He'd heard that Madison is "a lot like Boulder". He lasted one year. He said something like "you are NOT a Boulder thank you very much" and ran for his life. We are liberal and we have bike trails, but that's pretty much where the similarity ends.

I'm northern european descent and because I'm athletic (TMI?) I sweat a lot when I work out. I think I'm kidding myself when I say I prefer it warm all the time... rather than enduring three "bone chilling" (as someone on this board described winters of our humidity) months of winter every year where you have to run on a treadmill because it sucks so badly outside. We have: ice, slush, cold, cold winds and never ending cloudy days. We say "stick around and the weather will change" like Denver seems to, but we mean weeks and months!

So I think in the end, my need for the family to have opportunities and my need not to overheat... makes it a bit of a no brainer, excellent opportunity or not. What good is a good opportunity if my husband is unemployed?

Not to mention... from the land of the great lakes, I take water for granted. I know Denver has water issues, but not like Tucson I can't think... and the "Colorado River" is in Colorado before it ever gets to Arizona.

Thanks again for such a great post.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaylaM View Post
The job market in the Denver Metro is definitely better and so are the salaries. Socially, I think you'd like it, as well. I was raised in Illinois and I found this area of Colorado to be very down to Earth and friendly in a similar way to the Midwest - lots of transplants, in fact.

Don't mean to sound overly biased, I also think that Tucson has it's own charm and, if you're worn out from too many cold winters, it might be a really nice change, at least for a while.
Layla M, what part of Denver area do you live in? I can't remember, have you moved yet?

Old 10-01-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Layla M, what part of Denver area do you live in? I can't remember, have you moved yet?
We are planning to move (if we can make up our minds) next spring/summer. We currently live in the Seattle area. I lived in Nederland and worked in Boulder a long time ago and Colorado has been close to my heart ever since. DH and I have been frequently traveling throughout the Front Range, the last couple of years, to get a feel for where we might want to plant some new roots. We're going back out there sometime this fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or