U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 01:54 PM

2,722 posts, read 3,688,764 times

Advertisements

Interesting thread. We are considering moving either to Denver (Ft. Collins a possibility) or Prescott. Like hearing these comparisons . I don't think Prescott gets as much snow as DEN or FC though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 02:46 PM

230 posts, read 339,204 times
Snow is one consideration... it also (based on my other thread about leaving Denver) looks like traffic and population is becoming more problematic in the Denver area. I'm not sure as a retired person I want to spent QT in my car... heck I'm on a timeline! If moving to Denver area, it seems the smaller surrounding communities might be a better bet for improved quality of life.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:57 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,447,829 times
Rogerven wrote: Interesting thread. We are considering moving either to Denver (Ft. Collins a possibility) or Prescott. Like hearing these comparisons . I don't think Prescott gets as much snow as DEN or FC though.

IF you do not have a dependency on the local ecomony for your income source, then Prescott wins hands down. Prescott has a better climate, and a more scenic location. Not quite as cold in the winter nor quite as hot in the summer.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:26 PM

2,722 posts, read 3,688,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Rogerven wrote: Interesting thread. We are considering moving either to Denver (Ft. Collins a possibility) or Prescott. Like hearing these comparisons . I don't think Prescott gets as much snow as DEN or FC though.

IF you do not have a dependency on the local ecomony for your income source, then Prescott wins hands down. Prescott has a better climate, and a more scenic location. Not quite as cold in the winter nor quite as hot in the summer.
Now if I can just convince wife. No, our retirement income should be good and we will pay cash for house. She is concerned about distance to PHX and major health care facilities. Prescott just seems slower paced and more relaxed. Ft. Collins is very nice but still a drive to DIA just as Prescott would be to PHX airport. Thanks for response.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:17 PM

6,679 posts, read 11,893,412 times
I was considering the Denver area for retirement as well as Arizona. I ended up with Arizona at least on a trial basis this year. It was not just the amount of traffic, that led me away from choosing the Denver region. It was the ridiculous speed people drive that literally scared me away from that area. I have seen America and the Denver Metro has terrible driving with very high speed agreesive types. Alot of tailgating. Its the only region I think I have ever seen those traffic info signs above the Fwy that read. Statewide crackdown on DUI and agressive drivers. I saw this up and down I-25. I was not surprised at all. Obviously there is a serious problem with the drivers. The traffic seems to really get going in the Ft Collins area and keeps on going all the way down to the Colorado Springs/Pueblo area. I was told by countless people, that the area has exploded with growth in recent years and is not slowing down at all. Major traffic problems. I was surprised for such a populated region that a 2 lane fwy is all there is between CS and Denver. I think it is a big part of the reason for all the tailgating at high speeds I saw on that stretch of fwy. People want to drive excessively fast in the Denver area for some reason. I just felt it was more than I wanted to deal with in a retirement area. At least for someone that is not from there, and has no real reason to be there. Other than I think its a nice area in so many ways. In many ways I think its more interesting and appealing than Phoenix. However I just could not take that type of Driving in retirement years.

I'm Northwest of Phoenix in a suburb, and this area is no breeze either for driving. However for some reason I don't see the high speeds here, or the massive traffic congestion that I saw in Denver. I will say Phoenix has done an excellent job on thier fwys thru the years. There is also or so it seems a strict speedlimit on the fwys, not so sure on surface streets.

Really think it thru as to what rates the highest on your criteria of places to retire. I do think the congestion, traffic and population density is a big part of the rating people should give when choosing a location. That and affordability. It is not just the climate one has to consider when choosing a locale. There is much to the process beyond climate. I will tell you this. The days of moving and just picking up the phone, when one wants to get a doctor are over in America. You can find it is very difficult to find Doctors taking new patients, or the appts are months and months away. I am dealing with that here in AZ. Way to many people coming and going and not nearly enough doctors to go around. The one doctor I found taking new patients gave me an appt that is not until a few days before Xmas. So don't get sick in Metro Phoenix I guess.

Best of Luck with your decision. You could do like I am. Rent first in areas you think you might want to retire. If after the lease is up your free to go to other destinations you have researched. Or you can say I have found my spot and buy a home if you like. I could not make a decision by visiting. I had to actually see what its like to live in areas on my list. So far AZ seems pretty good, but I have my concerns on the explosive growth in this region. How it overwhelms everything from the water we use, infrastructure, and getting that doctor and medical care we need or will. need.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:46 AM

1,778 posts, read 3,478,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I retired to western Colorado from northwest Arkansas three years ago. There's sticker shock and everything from car tags, to insurance to gasoline is really expensive. Yes there's people moving here (I did) but I can find places and spend all day without seeing or hearing another living soul and I like that. I enjoy the low humidity, and the fact there's no ice storms or tornadoes where I live. I like cold and winter and snow and the mountains. I am fortunate to receive a monthly retirement check and not have to depend on finding a job here.

Good luck to you.

I am in Eastern OK and like you will be happy to get rid of ice storms, tornadoes and hot/humid heat. I am thinking of Pagosa, Trinidad area and maybe Chama, NM as the three on top of my list. Been spending most of September in those places for 8 years now and husband can retire at a moment's notice now.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:17 PM

178 posts, read 463,684 times
I have lived all my life in the Southwest and Colorado and I will never leave. I would not recommend the Southwest to anybody long term for one reason. WATER I have been here almost 50 years and I have seen this region go from having more water than we know what to do with to a water shortage. The carrying capacity of the land has been exceeded. You may be OK for awhile but my family has been in the Southwest since the 1800's and I'm very familiar with the water history of the region. My Grandpa helped build the California Aqueduct, in 1913, many years before I was born back when LA, (Los Angeles), was a small town. The Anasazi were much less populous than us and the Hohokam had their canals in Arizona many years before the white man came and these people disappeared after what historians believe was a terrible drought. In the long term the four corners region of the country will only support a small population and my educated guess is that we have exceeded that number by about 3 times if not more.

All that being said, go ahead and come here. I, like some native inhabitants, believe this land is holy, and that the violated land will have its revenge. Someday, my children or their children will leave here and move back East where the land and the water will sustain a higher population. For those who think Colorado and the Southwest is such a great place to move to, go sit in the middle of Danby Dry Lake in the Mohave desert in July and let reality settle in and be truly aware of how harsh and unmerciful this region of the country can be.

To any that retire in the Southwest, you will probably have enough water for at least a couple more years. I lived right next to the CAP, Central Arizona Project Canal, for a couple of years and I watched its level drop during drought. Keep in mind that where there used to be farms there are now miles of strip malls and subdivisions. Most of the food and fuel is imported from out of state. Higher fuel costs will, in the very near future, make it much more difficult to live here. In Edward Abbey's novel, "Good News," he describes a huge city built in the desert far from the resources required for survival. The environment has become unforgiving and life unsustainable and the people of Phoenix are forced to leave to a more forgiving environment. I may sound extreme, but read a little, preferably a lot, of Edward Abbey before you move here.

All that being said, Tucson depends on water from the Colorado and Mighty Los Angeles has Senior water rights. That means Tucson will run out of water before LA. Long term home value in Tucson completely depends on water. Personally, I believe that we will have a water crisis in Colorado and the Southwest in the next 5 to 10 years if not sooner.

Last edited by GStone777; 10-06-2012 at 03:20 PM..

Old 10-06-2012, 05:34 PM

178 posts, read 463,684 times
If one is crazy enough, like myself, to go to Danby Dry Lake, please take a lot of water. The environment is harsh, very hot and we got stuck there for 3 to 4 hours in late September and drank several gallons of water before we got out. As for going in July, not even I have done that.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:01 PM

4,507 posts, read 6,729,245 times
Default However I just could not take that type of Driving in retirement years.

Interesting that you brought that up because I just found that out about myself on a recent trip to Virginia. I was pretty sold on a retirement location there in a certain area that turned out to be much more developed than I had thought, and I was literally afraid to drive there...that has never happened to me before in all my trips. I'm not really that old either...traffic wasn't at the top of my consideration list, but it is now. I mean, I "could" do it now, but looking forward 5 to 10 years....it would be an issue.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,773 posts, read 37,441,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
...r...traffic wasn't at the top of my consideration list, but it is now. I mean, I "could" do it now, but looking forward 5 to 10 years....it would be an issue.
Its a very good idea to look out 5-10 yrs if you are planning a move. MUCH can change.

Driving... I would look at nice SMALLER towns that have perpetually remained on the smaller side, tho the area is popular. OR close to a metro area with mass transit, or a walkable community.

In No CO I would choose Loveland or Berthoud.

Parts of Colo Springs will be walkable and with Transit

West side would be Montrose or Grand Junction.

Trendy places are probably out for me, due to taxes / groceries / seasonal crowd.

Prescott is VERY nice and a couple nearby communities that don't have 'SPRAWL'.

Flying out of PHX would be a challenge for me, as it is so HUGE. I would take a commuter flight or bus from Prescott.

WATER is a big issue in both these places. (not in my current place... I let CO for PNW 30yrs ago last month). Even tho it is green here,,, 285 days of rain does get a bit old...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or