U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 01:08 PM

230 posts, read 339,204 times

Advertisements

hello all,

I did dig through the threads searching for retirement comments.... my situation is a bit unique so I thought I would post a thread.

Who retired in CO and why? What do you hate/love about retirement in CO?

I'm considering a job in Tucson. If I keep my current job I can live anywhere. I'm middle aged and the kid is gone, so I'm thinking long term... where do I want to be once I stop working?

I live in WI now, have no family here and I'm ready to go.

I like CO because:
I am active and love hiking, biking, walking
we live in a fairly liberal community now
We have two offices there - Boulder and Denver
there is a major airport
I love proximity to shopping
houses in the NW burbs seem affordable
I have visited CO many times and think I can appreciate the sunshine

What worries me about CO:
the massive influx of people... I need to be near the office for maybe 15 years... after that I have to decide if it's worth it to battle traffic (love shopping though)
winter - I have heard it's variable though, much different than the cold grey winters in WI
with the variable weather, I assume that now and then in the winter you can get out running. We do that here, but my husband so hates the cold he's moved to a treadmill all winter. I prefer to bundle up and go out... but would rather not freeze to death. I hate cold, cold winds.

I like AZ because
It's warm all the time
proximity to a small mountain range with plenty of hiking
wouldn't need a major airport
cost of living is low
seems retirement friendly

Worries about AZ:
water - long term home value?
summer

Anyone else been through the whole contemplation of where to retire and have any thoughts? I've visited both places and I really wonder if my fairly athletic (sweats) body can take the heat of AZ during the summer. I'm not afraid of the Denver heat... I doubt it's as oppressive as AZ.

Any thoughts welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 03:44 PM

2,419 posts, read 3,261,321 times
I'll address the winter issue. You can bundle up and go out all winter. But the lovely thing is that almost every winter you don't have to bundle every time you go out. There are some really nice days in Jan. and Feb. usually where it is sweatshirt weather or spring jacket weather.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:12 AM

538 posts, read 569,058 times
My husband and I also considered both areas for retirement. Then we visited Phoenix in mid-April and it was 108 degrees! I nearly passed out from heat exhaustion. Right now in late September, the high for the day is 93 in Tucson and 98 in Phoenix.

In contrast, when we visited Denver-Boulder in February, there was plenty of snow on the ground, but the sun was so bright that we needed to take our coats off several times during the week. Today the high there is a comfortable 79. Perfect fall weather!

It really all comes down to personal preference. We have several friends who love Arizona and would never consider retiring in a snowy/cold climate. On the other hand, many of them enjoy living in air-conditioning a good portion of the year and travel frequently during the hottest part of summer.

If we do decide to move to Colorado, our plan is to take a month break during the coldest part of winter and visit AZ or other warm places.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:30 AM

Thanks for your response! I am considering a position in Tucson and I'm nervous about having to make a decision! In my current job I can live anywhere in Central US, but I'm not as challenged as I'd like to be. This new position would be a great opportunity.

Tucson has a much lower cost of living (it appears) than Denver in the sense that there is a housing glut and houses are very affordable.

In Denver I am amazed at the number of people jumping on this board to announce "moving to Denver". Where do all those people go? It's scary! But I can see why. I love the outdoors.

We have been to Colordao numerous times in the summer. We explored Fort Collins when my daughter chose a college (she's a WI Badger) I was in Denver once for work and the nation was in a deep freeze. it about killed me in Denver, with 0 and lower degrees every single day, add the dry indoor air. Top it off with an altitude headache. i couldn't wait to go home.

So now, if the Tucson job doesn't pan out, we are going to visit Denver area in February to witness this bright warm sun we hear about. I hate treadmills and I run outside. But in WI for 3-4 months that means snow, cold, wind, ice and slush. So sick of all that! If I can mostly run outside in the winter... that would make a big difference.

My husband and I decided that it's really about Monday-Friday, not what you can do on weekends. So we like to walk, enjoy the outdoors, bike, take in sunshine. It seems both places would fit that need. In the summer in Tucson, you go out at dusk. That's fine too!

Oh well, I'll see how it goes in Tucson for now.

Also worried about my daughter - graduating in nursing next year and likely to follow me. I need her to be employable. I think my husband just wants a break!!!! (and a man cave)

Old 09-29-2012, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 6,371 times
Smile Retirement

[

quote=dmiller91;26260518]hello all,

I did dig through the threads searching for retirement comments.... my situation is a bit unique so I thought I would post a thread.

Who retired in CO and why? What do you hate/love about retirement in CO?

I'm considering a job in Tucson. If I keep my current job I can live anywhere. I'm middle aged and the kid is gone, so I'm thinking long term... where do I want to be once I stop working?

I live in WI now, have no family here and I'm ready to go.

I like CO because:
I am active and love hiking, biking, walking
we live in a fairly liberal community now
We have two offices there - Boulder and Denver
there is a major airport
I love proximity to shopping
houses in the NW burbs seem affordable
I have visited CO many times and think I can appreciate the sunshine

What worries me about CO:
the massive influx of people... I need to be near the office for maybe 15 years... after that I have to decide if it's worth it to battle traffic (love shopping though)
winter - I have heard it's variable though, much different than the cold grey winters in WI
with the variable weather, I assume that now and then in the winter you can get out running. We do that here, but my husband so hates the cold he's moved to a treadmill all winter. I prefer to bundle up and go out... but would rather not freeze to death. I hate cold, cold winds.

I like AZ because
It's warm all the time
proximity to a small mountain range with plenty of hiking
wouldn't need a major airport
cost of living is low
seems retirement friendly

Worries about AZ:
water - long term home value?
summer

Anyone else been through the whole contemplation of where to retire and have any thoughts? I've visited both places and I really wonder if my fairly athletic (sweats) body can take the heat of AZ during the summer. I'm not afraid of the Denver heat... I doubt it's as oppressive as AZ.

Any thoughts welcomed![/quote]

Old 09-29-2012, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 6,371 times
Default Retirement

Hi, I would not recommend around Phoenix area. My parents retired there and it was so hot. You have to turn on your A/C in your car just to cool it enough to get in. By the time you get to your destination you have to immediately go inside because of the heat.

Also, it does not cool off at night and if your A/C ever goes out I don't know what you would do. I guess if you stay indoors day and night it would be an okay city to live in. The winters are mild and AZ. is picturesque.

I have lived in the Colorado Springs area of CO. it is okay but winters are very cold. I now live in So. CA which is just fine for me right now. I live 65 miles north of LA in the high desert area which is hot during the summers but does cool down around 5 or 6PM which is nice for sleeping.

Good luck and hope this helps some.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:48 AM

I have heard Phoenix might be hotter than Tucson in the summer? Not sure why?

Old 09-29-2012, 11:56 AM

10,515 posts, read 11,623,635 times
I retired to western Colorado from northwest Arkansas three years ago. There's sticker shock and everything from car tags, to insurance to gasoline is really expensive. Yes there's people moving here (I did) but I can find places and spend all day without seeing or hearing another living soul and I like that. I enjoy the low humidity, and the fact there's no ice storms or tornadoes where I live. I like cold and winter and snow and the mountains. I am fortunate to receive a monthly retirement check and not have to depend on finding a job here.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:58 AM

20,301 posts, read 37,784,136 times
dMiller, I'd forget AZ due to the heat.

I'd go with the Denver metro area, the winters do have cold snaps and snow but it usually doesn't last long.

Denver has a newer airport that is expanding, a growing light rail system that will serve the airport too, all five major sports, tons of arts / culture / shows and local events, relatively low crime, low humidity, access to outdoor sports all year long, etc. IMO Denver is also a decent retirement area, unless you foresee living in one of those Florida "shuffleboard and bingo" villages.

We have tons of existing threads on any aspect of the Denver metro area that you can think of, use our search tool to find them quickly for info.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:03 PM

Thanks Mike from Back East... that pretty much sums up how I feel about your area... as apparently does everyone else Luckily my cold snap lasted the entire week I was there so I got to see it. I can live with it if it doesn't last until April like it does here.

I just wish my AZ opportunity was in Denver! I have to pay for a move to Denver, where I wouldn't to AZ... but small price to pay I'm sure!

Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or