U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 10:57 AM

2,253 posts, read 5,860,004 times

Advertisements

Gary Johnson was the popular two-term Republican governor of New Mexico. He is the 2012 Libertarian presidential candidate, and should be on the ballot in all 50 states. Out of frustration he switched to the Libertarian party when quickly shut out of the Republican primary debates. His views align well with a libertarian philosophy, being moderate, pro-Constitution, pro-civil liberties, favoring practical and sound fiscal policies.

At a little more than a month out from the November 6 presidential election, there is no reason Mr. Johnson or any of the many other largely unknown presidential contenders could not be voted into office; all that is required is that a majority of voters choose to do so (and hope no one rigs the electronic voting machines). Yet practically speaking this current system is rigged entirely in favor of two parties, being but two sides of the same bad coin. Even better known contenders, such as Ron Paul, receive little media attention, little money, and less chance—and he was even a Republican. Per usual, the two parties will choose the candidate perceived most electable, simply to win, and thus some advantage post-election with business-as-usual.

At 68.4%, Colorado had a slightly higher voter turnout than the national average in the 2008 presidential election; the national average was 63.6%. That represented a slight uptick from Colorado's 2004 turnout. This year with widespread disenfranchisement, the overall vote may be lower: many Republicans are hardly keen on Mr. Romney, primarily voting against four more years of a President Obama; with many hopeful Obama supporters of four years ago rightly disillusioned.

It could be a case of voting for the lesser of two evils, yet perhaps little different as either of these two candidates will prove very bad for this nation; President Obama already has in a number of notable ways, with that surely not improving; with the empathetic Mr. Romney likely the final icing on the corporatocracy of this country. Either will only make matters much worse, with the only blessing being that it cannot continue, unsustainable, so hastening the collapse (being a rather nasty transition as such).

The simplest solution for everyone could also be the easiest: stay home. Walk the dog, go shopping, work—anything but vote. There is an old expression popular during the Vietnam War of, to paraphrase, what if they gave a war (as in party) and no one came? The same principle applies here. What legitimacy would a president and government have if elected by just the handful of people who did show up? Simple answer: even less than they already do.

Practically speaking, that is unlikely to happen. Many potential voters already do not for reasons similar to this, but the trend has yet to catch on with the majority of their brethren who surely will vote (if holding their noses while doing so, hoping for little, all the while praying for salvation). But do remember it is an option. Nevertheless, in all likelihood one of these two most regrettable candidates will surely receive something of a mandate, one of them elected. That changes nothing, and makes our plight all the worse.

The better solution would mark 2012 as the year—no matter who ends up elected—of a signal clarion call from the public that no one could possibly ignore. That just might wake up enough souls for some serious change in positive directions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 01:32 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,496,039 times
Mike fbe wrote: Cos, I'm still going with the lesser of two evils, 'cause the worse evil is truly evil.

Mike, I honestly don't see that much differnece between them. IMO, Obama is only the SLIGHTLY lessor of the two evils. They are both war mongers, they both support the federal reserve, and they both cater to their other corporate sponsor/bosses. Ron Paul was the only candidate with any name recognition who supported the dismantling the war machine and eliminating the federal reserve. Until those two steps are taken, nothing is really going to change. Like Idunn pointed out above, he was almost invisible to the media, and when attention was given to him, it was given in a derogatory manner.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 10-03-2012 at 01:41 PM..

Old 10-03-2012, 01:39 PM

659 posts, read 774,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Mike fbe wrote: Cos, I'm still going with the lesser of two evils, 'cause the worse evil is truly evil.

Mike, I honestly don't see that much differnece between them. IMO, Obama is only the SLIGHTLY lessor of the two evils. They are both war mongers, and they both cater to their corporate sponsor/bosses.
Obama is lesser of the two evils... what? He is like in the top 5 most evil people who ever lived.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:52 PM

12,105 posts, read 20,415,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
Obama is lesser of the two evils... what? He is like in the top 5 most evil people who ever lived.
This is a great example of the extreme politics I do not subscribe too.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:30 PM

Ming Ming wrote: Obama is lesser of the two evils... what? He is like in the top 5 most evil people who ever lived.

Unlike you, I've never taken the time to create a list of the most evil people and catagorized them in numerical order. In the extremely low likelihood that I would ever do so, if I found that Obama was on my top five list, then certainly Romney would be on my top four list.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:04 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,531,828 times
I've come to believe that the choice for president comes down to this: do I want the economy stimulated by social spending or military spending? I think that the U.S. has spent enough money during the past decade killing relatively defenseless people in the Third World.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:17 PM

12,105 posts, read 20,415,686 times
I am going to watch the debate tonight to get a better understanding of where they stand on the economy.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:55 AM

My impression of The Debate:

An incumbent president who seemed only partially present

Versus

A presidential wannabe who spent the night telling fairy tales

Old 10-04-2012, 11:05 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,105,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
My impression of The Debate:

An incumbent president who seemed only partially present

Versus

A presidential wannabe who spent the night telling fairy tales

Accurate impression. I started this thread because I didn't think my vote was needed to defeat Rmoney in Colorado so I would be saved from voting for Obama who I am not at all excited about. Now it seems my voted might be needed to insure the fifth most evil person beats the fourth most evil person.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:26 AM

9,817 posts, read 19,078,228 times
To me statism and redistribution of wealth is evil and fails everywhere tried and obama is just the latest incompetent person to go that route. The past 4 years of Porkulus(stimulus and keynesian economics), regulations, taxes and more government control has lead the country marching into depression like numbers with no economic growth. It fails everywhere tried. Europe went that route and they are in a major bit of turmoil right now and we are following.

What you saw last night was the real befuddled obama, not the media creation who never had to answer to anything and who always has a teleprompter loaded with someone else's words.

Romney laid out a path last night towards reducing debt, cutting deficits, cutting taxes and putting the power back in the hands of the people where it belongs. Social security and medicare have to be renovated if they survive.

Gary Johnson is a nice guy with some ideas, but not presidential and never has been. A lot of republicans agree with many of his ideas, but not everyone is cut out to be president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or