U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 10:13 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,029,157 times

Advertisements

Small business is a myth, corporations are bad, oh OK whatever. Well I have worked for a lot of small businesses, so I must be missing something. I guess it didn't happen. It was all a conspiracy underneath.

At the end of the day, none of these businesses are inanimate objects, they consist of PEOPLE, and offer goods and services that people want. When people don't want them anymore, businesses change, evolve and go out of business or become new ones. It's the cycle of life that keeps people getting the products they want at the prices they can afford and it keeps technology and development moving forward.

It seems to be kewl these days to label all that "bad". But look at the alternative, north korea, USSR, Cuba, etc.

I think what I hear is what I call people's "inner victim". We all have it, we've all been screwed over by someone, somewhere or something, we all complain, but some fall off the edge with it and they run it like a buzzsaw all day. Some of it is stuff completely out of our control and some of it a legitimate gripe, but some of it is rationalization to cover for one's own behavior. People don't want to take responsibility for their own actions or choices, so it's someone elses fault. It's too much fun to be the victim. It's Wal Mart, the "banksters", the fed, small business, big business, small oil, big oil, big healthcare, small healthcare, big condom, little condom, big peanut butter, little peanut butter, everyone and everything has them in their crosshairs, they are so oppressed while they take checks from the government and they sit hopeless looking to government to make life "fair" and isolate them from life's vicissitudes.

And that is why utopian statists like obama are so alluring to some of these people. They promise to use the state to equal everything out, make everything fair, take from one to give to another and everything will be free paid for by some other person. It's the siren song of misery and you can look through city data at all of the miserable people that post and the common theme I see is, it's someone else's fault, someone else needs to pay and they are all angry. obama and people similar to him use these people as rubes promising utopia, but in order to do that you need a totalitarian state and that is what we will get if they win. Think of it as soft tyranny. They might not line you up in a gulag, they'll just tax and regulate you instead.

When I talk to obama supporters, that is the one common theme with all of them, they are all victims. The problem they fail to realize is that bureaucrats and politicians are not God, but they are fallible human beings and in many cases, like obama, are not all that intelligent or as intelligent as they herald themselves. And that is what we have seen in the past 4 years, he promised to slow the rise of the oceans and heal the planet, everything would be free and fair, fair share for everyone and all. And look at it now, I haven't seen the country this depressed, backwards and angry since the Carter years.

The only thing that works is taking ken salazar's and the rest of the government bozos boots off the necks of Americans and let us out there to succeed and pursue our own dreams. We've got everything backwards, people vilify success and pat each other on the back for getting disability and unemployment. That's not going to win in the 21st century. And it isn't going to pay the bills either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 12:45 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,527,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
The only thing that works is taking ken salazar's and the rest of the government bozos boots off the necks of Americans and let us out there to succeed and pursue our own dreams.
I don't know to whom or about what you were posting, and I don't know that it really matters. But just to reiterate a point that you seem to have missed: the same boot will be on the necks of Americans regardless of whom wins. Our economy has been dependent on that for a very long time, and the difference between Romney and Obama is only where the money goes: does it go into humanitarian spending, or does it go into military spending?

I'm opposed to Obamacare, but Roberts upheld it. You see? Both parties are the same.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:20 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,459,702 times
The Homogenizer wrote: the difference between Romney and Obama is only where the money goes: does it go into humanitarian spending, or does it go into military spending?

Very good summary, and right on the money! We-the-people are going to pay for it no matter who wins. That being said, I'd rather have my money going to feed the irresponsible 47% rather than buying tanks and other killing machines.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:47 PM

3,966 posts, read 9,157,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think the Libertarian candidate, What's His Name Johnson, will be on the ballot.
Gary Johnson for the damn win.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:05 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,334,939 times
As much as I'd like to write in Ron Paul, I'm voting for Gary Johnson. At least they'll have to count it.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:57 PM

A strategy to consider: The case for not voting

This quote from the article closely paralles my thoughts on the matter:
Despite the activistsí compelling arguments, I do still intend to vote next month. Iím not naÔve enough to think that voting will change anything, but Iím also not confident enough to think that voting couldnít be part of the solution. I know our system needs change, but Iím not yet sure whether that change will come in the form of reform or revolution. As an ally to both solutions, Iím all for a diversity of tactics. So I will cast a protest vote of reform for a third party candidate (admittedly, itís funny to call a candidate I genuinely like a ďprotestĒ vote, but with the pervasive either/or mentality, any vote for someone outside of the two major parties is a symbol of dissent), but then I will spend far more time elsewhere pushing for the change this country needs. Whether or not you decide to vote, your civic duty should extend far beyond the ballot box.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,527,107 times
I approach this third party debate from a totally different POV.

I don't like either party, and I don't think that anybody should. However, they're always hovering around the epicenter of American political opinion. Granted: that political opinion is the product of a lot of propaganda, but we're free to ignore it. And that's the crux: it's our collective choice that the parties are hovering around contradictions and idiocy, but I only see the third party groups come out at election time.

We don't need third parties presenting chiefs; we need men and women whom are talking about issues all the time, not just election time, so the collective political mind changes, and that will force the desired change in the main parties.

This third party talk is a Hail Mary that occurs every election cycle. For four years, we don't prepare for the big game, but then we get frustrated because we can't compete.

I'm opposed to fascism, but that's our choice because too few of us have been active for the past four years or active in the wrong way. Military spending or humanitarian spending or crying that we're victims?

Last edited by The Homogenizer; 10-10-2012 at 08:09 PM..

Old 10-20-2012, 12:53 PM

At this late hour, I am still an undecided voter. The only thing that I am clear about is that I will NOT vote for Romney and that I am voting YES on the measure to legalize marijuana. My choice in the presidential election lies between Obama or one of the many 3rd party candidates on the Colorado ballot. Many of my friends assume, because I am still considering casting a vote for Obama, that I think he is a good choice for President. Not so!! This article explains so well what I haven't been able to articulate very well - that I am voting against Romney/Ryan for the same reasons this column writer is - because it will make America worse without making any of Obama's bad decisions better!

Defeat Romney, Without Illusions About Obama

Even though I rarely touch the stuff ( mj ), and I am living just fine without it, admittedly I actually have more enthusiasm for the passage of this measure than I have for the presidential election. If this wasn't on the ballot, I probably wouldn't even vote.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 10-20-2012 at 01:51 PM..

Old 10-20-2012, 01:52 PM

20,314 posts, read 37,815,914 times
Cos, I'm voting for the MJ law too, even though I never have/will touch the stuff.... for me, a good glass of wine is so very fine.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:34 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,360,320 times
I am voting for the law myself too. Prohibition did not work in the 20's and this type of prohibition is not working now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or