U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 01:35 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times

Advertisements

@trailrunnr65....not sure what you are more apt to put your faith in, so I will speak for myself. Personally, I am more inclined to believe the words of people who are actually living there, than the words and opinions of people merely writing on a forum, most of whom have never lived in the place they write about. But, that's my approach. You'll have to decide for yourself who to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 01:45 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,118,898 times
[quote=hullo;26278615]Im going to be moving to Telluride Colorado next year. I would like to be settled in before June so I can bring my 3 children down for the summer. Any advice, direction or help would be more than appreciated.

Does anyone:

a) Have advice about living the area?
b) Have knowledge about job opportunities in or around the area?
c) Live in or around the area?
d) Have interest in networking?

Cheers [/quote

I would vist Crested Butte first.....Not so HoityToity........nicer scenery.....and more affordable. And even more affordable down the road in Gunnison.....and there are only a few turgid ropehead trustafarians living in CB all year round....

Last edited by Chaffeetrekker; 07-16-2014 at 02:15 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 05:26 PM

9 posts, read 14,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
@trailrunnr65....not sure what you are more apt to put your faith in, so I will speak for myself. Personally, I am more inclined to believe the words of people who are actually living there, than the words and opinions of people merely writing on a forum, most of whom have never lived in the place they write about. But, that's my approach. You'll have to decide for yourself who to believe.
Agreed!
I see a lot of opinions on forums like this, which is fine, everyone has the right to their own opinion & etc, but I then realize that some of the opinions or info, are coming from people not living in that area/place.

I have no doubt that it could or would be a very challenging place to make a move to and be able to sustain yourself, but just from the positivity of all the people we talked with, it sure seemed like it was worth it and definitely doable.
We got a smoking deal at the Inn at Lost Creek in Mountain Village, so we splurged and spent one night there and everyone there was super nice and all so positive. I asked a three different people working at the front desk about jobs & housing and they were all really open, positive and more than willing to provide feedback and info.
I shared that I really enjoy doing long distance mountain running and the San Juan's are about the most beautiful mountains in Colorado I've ever seen or run in. Two of the guys at the front desk said if we make a move there, to let them know because they'd love to join me on a run sometime and could show me some of the many trails in the area. They were really cool people, which is why I wondered about some of the stuff said on here about Telluride.

I guess there's only one way to find out for sure…maybe pack the bags and try it?!

Old 07-16-2014, 10:46 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,835,868 times
Wink Where the business is

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrunnr65 View Post
My wife and I currently live in Boulder and are considering moving to a smaller town(Telluride, Ouray, Silverton, Summit County area, etc).

Particularly since you've visited Telluride more recently than myself, I'm inclined to believe most everything you were told; it sounds about right. Especially the part about the on and off seasons and working one's butt off in order to get by.

Lovely place, although practically speaking Telluride is a small remote town, one where most of the serious money comes from outside. As you've already done some homework, maybe some more in sharpening the pencil and see if it all adds up. One quite possible bonus in this would be your profession, as in potentially another class from wage slaves. Maybe even able to live comfortably in Telluride.

With that a consideration, you may want to reconsider the viability of Ouray and Silverton. The latter has had a smaller ski area of its own nearby for a few years, so vaguely the same market as Telluride. But until the advent of that Silverton was near somnolent in winter (and rather lovely so). Compared to a place like Summit County, surely relatively still so. They do a lot of business with summer tourists who often arrive via narrow gauge train from Durango—but usually hang around for a few hours and then depart. Might be a tough place for your proposed business. Ouray probably even more challenging, as most of their business are summer tourists more interested in 4x4 excursions and scenery. Both are beautiful locations, Ouray embodying many aspects people dream of from a distance. But one reason both as small and enticing because few can make a living within.

Summit County is like Telluride on steroids. Kind of, if Telluride, as Aspen, more exclusive. But the number of world-class ski areas in close proximity, relative closeness to Denver, range of services, not to mention scenery, all add up to a premier tourist destination with LOTS of visitors. Vail in this respect in contention, and possibility business-wise.

The dream of Colorado remains, but most end up where they are (usually Front Range) because that is where the job was, and the lower cost of living. You may well end up in the mountains but, if with different parameters, still seemingly fall in the category (minus trust fund) of needing to make both ends meet. And that likely better accomplished in some specific locations than just anywhere attractive.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:35 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,349,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
OP, Why Telluride?
My guess: Because he/she went there once and thought it was super cool.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:50 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,607,413 times
trailrunnr65, by bodywork do you mean that you could work as massage therapists and more in that genre? If you aren't opposed to massages then you could make some solid money in season, lots out of town skiers get pretty beat up and need someone to put them back together.

I haven't lived in Telluride for about 15 years so things have changed but we enjoyed being there and made lifelong friends. Personally I would give it a try, if you're willing to work hard and live without shopping malls and traffic it could be a great experience.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:16 PM

9 posts, read 14,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
trailrunnr65, by bodywork do you mean that you could work as massage therapists and more in that genre? If you aren't opposed to massages then you could make some solid money in season, lots out of town skiers get pretty beat up and need someone to put them back together.

I haven't lived in Telluride for about 15 years so things have changed but we enjoyed being there and made lifelong friends. Personally I would give it a try, if you're willing to work hard and live without shopping malls and traffic it could be a great experience.
Yes, my wife and I could both work as massage therapist, although the specialty we do here in Boulder is structural integration, which is just a little different then massage. Our idea, plan and hope would be that we'd work other jobs to help sustain us, while we get settled and try to build a practice there doing our bodywork.
Have no issues with working hard, since we do that here in Boulder, given that it's an extremely over saturated market for the kind of work we do!
And no issues with not having a shopping mall or traffic! We don't own a car and do just fine on bikes, walking and busses.
Appreciate the encouragement.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:35 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
@trailrunner65...while I don't know this for a fact, I imagine that there are many bodyworkers of all stripes attempting to make a go it in Telluride and all of the other desirable locations. Generally speaking, people drawn to that type of occupation appreciate living in beautiful, natural places.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:44 AM

3 posts, read 3,201 times
As one who has lived in the Telluride area for 15 years now, I stumbled onto this site and some of the comments are laughable. Particularly from those who obviously do not live here yet made up their minds about what it must be like.

There is definitely a working or blue collar class here and I do not mean the transient young ones who wait tables, bartend, lift operators, etc. that come & go like the weather. These are the folks that whine the most about the cost. We are by no means wealthy and you do have to make some sacrifices, but it is worth it x1000 vs the life we left in Denver. To the idiot who commented about raising children here, my son was 1 when my wife & I moved to Telluride. He just graduated from the top ranked public high school in the State of Colorado (that would be Telluride) and is in his first year at an Ivy League college on an academic scholarship. It is an amazing community of people and truly amazing place to be able to call home. You have to want to live here and it does not take millions. It does require some effort & sacrifice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or