U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 11:42 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,461,314 times

Advertisements

wanneroo wrote: Imagine if we had the whole population with such a job, we'd be moving forward into a utopian future where everything would be created free and fair with cannabis fueled mind waves, a smack of a rubber stamp and a dash of solar powered pixie dust.

IMO, this would be a major upgrade, especailly the dash of solar powered pixie dust. It would be alot greener than coal dust. Where do you get that pixie dust by the way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 02:25 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,031,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
Koch #3 brother bought up the beautiful, historic Buckskin Joe's town - that we as locals LOVED - and dismantled it for his own selfish use on a private ranch.

Part of the deal was also selling the adjoining Roryal Gorge scenic railway and that is shutting down this weekend. I went last weekend and there was a very heavy sad feeling in the air. I heard one guy, (maybe in his 30's) tell the old engineer "My dad brought me here when I was a kid..." and he broke down.

It is a HUGE loss for this community, all for the gain of one selfish rich person.

It's pretty sad that money can buy these nostalgic, historic things out from under the 99% of us. If I had the money I would have bought it and kept it open for everyone to enjoy!
Well there are a lot of businesses and organizations in my past that I once loved and adored and now they are gone because they ended up being unprofitable or sold on. That is the cycle of life and nothing lives forever.

We have a concept in this country called private property and people are not only welcome to sell, as the owner of Buckskin Joe's did, but also to buy and do what they want with it.

Next time you buy a car or house I think you need to stop being so selfish and doing what you want with your car, driving where you want and when you want, or using the inside of your house as you wish, and instead leave the keys in the door and the ignition and let others in the community use them as they want to. Why be so selfish? Let your private property be used by all when they want.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:52 AM

486 posts, read 1,235,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Well there are a lot of businesses and organizations in my past that I once loved and adored and now they are gone because they ended up being unprofitable or sold on. That is the cycle of life and nothing lives forever.

We have a concept in this country called private property and people are not only welcome to sell, as the owner of Buckskin Joe's did, but also to buy and do what they want with it.

Next time you buy a car or house I think you need to stop being so selfish and doing what you want with your car, driving where you want and when you want, or using the inside of your house as you wish, and instead leave the keys in the door and the ignition and let others in the community use them as they want to. Why be so selfish? Let your private property be used by all when they want.
Actually I believe in historic preservation and protection so I do think some buildings and places should be preserved and protected for the public good. Fortunately, I am not the only one who thinks this way.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:09 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,461,314 times
wanneroo wrote: Next time you buy a car or house I think you need to stop being so selfish and doing what you want with your car, driving where you want and when you want, or using the inside of your house as you wish, and instead leave the keys in the door and the ignition and let others in the community use them as they want to. Why be so selfish? Let your private property be used by all when they want.

This is an utterly absurd suggestion.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:38 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,140,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
wanneroo wrote: Next time you buy a car or house I think you need to stop being so selfish and doing what you want with your car, driving where you want and when you want, or using the inside of your house as you wish, and instead leave the keys in the door and the ignition and let others in the community use them as they want to. Why be so selfish? Let your private property be used by all when they want.

Seems absurd on the surface, but not if you think of cash as private property and the government can take whatever percentage that they feel like legislating, then the scenario is not far fetched. Some folks believe that tax rates should leave a person just enough to live on and the rest be given to those who are less fortunate. So why wouldn't you be happy to let the government give the use of unused rooms in your house or a percentage of the use of your car to folks less fortunate? Isn't this also a form of 'Sharing the Wealth', something spoken about by our President. Am I missing something here?
Back to the crazy Koch bro. Has he done anything illegal with the purchase of Buskskin Joe's? There are hundreds of these little amusement parks that have gone under since my kids were young. I guess you could blame him because of his wealth and conservative leanings for this terrible travesty. Seems kinda useless but blame away. Maybe have the state legislature pass laws against amusement parks going out of business or selling to anyone who might close it and move the stuff. The cost of maintaining and operating an older amusement park must be astronomical, especially with new regulations that were not around when the rides were designed and built.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
Actually I believe in historic preservation and protection so I do think some buildings and places should be preserved and protected for the public good. Fortunately, I am not the only one who thinks this way.
Nice side step, but I'm not talking about historic preservation, I'm talking about living as you preach. If it's game to force another to use his own personal property as a rabble mob of people seems fit for "the greater good", then you should also endeavor to do the same and let your personal property be used as such by the rabble mob.

One of the pillars that has made this country great is private property rights and land ownership. If we are not going to respect the private property rights of one individual then no ones private property rights can be respected. We all have the right to buy what goods we can afford and also sell them.

If you are going to demand that one person open their private property for free use by whoever, whenever, then you should do the same and open your property up for use by whoever, whenever. That is fair enough.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post

There is nothing absurd about it. For one individual demanding that another surrender his rights, it would be hypocrisy not to surrender theirs as well.

I think our society is pretty screwed up with all these people out there that think they are owed something or can do what they want with other people's property, yet you ask them to work and apply their own time, labor and knowledge for free or donate some of their own property and they are the most indignant obnoxious people around. They want their paws all over the broken down Buckskin Joe's, which they never cared about until now, yet will not open the doors of their house so we can all paw their Coca Cola, coin or DVD etc. collection and help ourselves.

And by the way, Koch already said he was going to have it open for tours by school groups and other groups, which he doesn't have to do.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:05 PM

12,845 posts, read 24,496,680 times
I was more concerned about learning more about the possibility of private interests acquiring public land for their own use. Maybe I misunderstood the whole situation in the first place.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:34 PM

20,314 posts, read 37,820,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I was more concerned about learning more about the possibility of private interests acquiring public land for their own use. Maybe I misunderstood the whole situation in the first place.
You got it right to start with. The very rich feel they are entitled to anything they want; just another version of the 47% that romney says he can't seem to reach, there's no convincing them that public lands belong to all the people.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Happens all the time and has for all of our history, in addition to land swaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado