U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 06:15 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,862,227 times

Advertisements

A good topic at the upcoming presidential debate in Denver—and one surely never mentioned—would be why the privileges of politicians should supersede the rights of Colorado citizens.

On October 3 a five mile stretch of I-25 near the University of Denver, as well as nearby side streets, will be closed to the public from 5pm to 10pm. Locals have already been suffering the first stages of this. These closures are presumably towards security concerns, but raising an interesting question.

Obviously this debate could be held at a venue which would not impact a major interstate, but apparently the powers that be feel this closure during rush hour is of little concern (at least to them). As far as security is concerned, one might also question why any public streets should be closed—ever. Perhaps they feel some bomb might be wheeled down I-25; or maybe just not wishing to deal with traffic like everybody else. But when the leaders of other nations feel perfectly free to walk down to the coffee house on their own, sans any security, one might wonder why ours need to make such an expensive production of going anywhere. Perhaps because they are more of a target, and no coincidence because of the very policies and wars they foment. Moreover, just how important is any given politician, even a president, when the office itself could easily be filled with any number of qualified and eager candidates?

This would seem to be anything but their view, with their person seemingly paramount over all else. If still, they may forget, but a public servant. One using public roads, paid for by the public . . . all of us inconvenienced in not using them.

Do these guys really warrant this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 09:09 PM

19,126 posts, read 9,012,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
A good topic at the upcoming presidential debate in Denver—and one surely never mentioned—would be why the privileges of politicians should supersede the rights of Colorado citizens.

On October 3 a five mile stretch of I-25 near the University of Denver, as well as nearby side streets, will be closed to the public from 5pm to 10pm. Locals have already been suffering the first stages of this. These closures are presumably towards security concerns, but raising an interesting question.

Obviously this debate could be held at a venue which would not impact a major interstate, but apparently the powers that be feel this closure during rush hour is of little concern (at least to them). As far as security is concerned, one might also question why any public streets should be closed—ever. Perhaps they feel some bomb might be wheeled down I-25; or maybe just not wishing to deal with traffic like everybody else. But when the leaders of other nations feel perfectly free to walk down to the coffee house on their own, sans any security, one might wonder why ours need to make such an expensive production of going anywhere. Perhaps because they are more of a target, and no coincidence because of the very policies and wars they foment. Moreover, just how important is any given politician, even a president, when the office itself could easily be filled with any number of qualified and eager candidates?

This would seem to be anything but their view, with their person seemingly paramount over all else. If still, they may forget, but a public servant. One using public roads, paid for by the public . . . all of us inconvenienced in not using them.

Do these guys really warrant this?
I'm not sure that I-25 really needs to be closed, but get over it.

There are traffic jams and back-ups and stand-stills coming back into Denver from the mountains many weekends. Sometimes traffic is at a stand-still on just a normal rush hour in Denver on I-25. And there sure is a traffic problem with football games at the stadium.

I think once in -- well, how many years since the last Presidential debate was held in Colorado -- a very, very long time (if ever), the people in Denver can make a sacrifice for democracy.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:29 PM

12,106 posts, read 20,420,899 times
It's a safety issue. President Obama was in Pueblo and stayed the night in downtown and many streets were closed. I would rather be inconvenienced then have them unprepared and something bad happen in my city or state and have us talked about for years to come like Dallas still is to this day with President Kennendy.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:53 AM

9,817 posts, read 19,082,538 times
I don't think it's putting anyone under undo duress considering all of the number of times you deal with traffic due to weather, accidents, events and so on. I've been delayed for hours or had to take detours too many times to count.

Considering the world we live in now and with both the president and the other candidate at the same location, I don't think it's too much to ask for security purposes and to limit the flow of traffic in the area.

If you think they are a target because we go to war against people out to attack us, well, those people are going to attack us regardless if we sit home here in the USA or if we go abroad to do something about it. There is a clash of civilizations going on and people seem to be oblivious to it.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:46 AM

3,108 posts, read 4,688,768 times
I think that all of you are underestimating the impact that it will have on the city.

The two best ways to circumvent the closures from the south is to exit Hampden go to Santa Fe and then north to I-25 or exit I-225 to I-70 to I-270 or I-25.

During a regular rush hour, Hampden backs up from Colorado to nearly Dahlia/Happy Canyon, and from University to the Welshire Golf Course, and traveling through the Englewood portion takes about 10 minutes.

I don't need to remind the commuters on I-225 that the highway is a huge construction zone right now, and that backups are already the norm.

By exiting 5 lanes of traffic onto these already congested alternate routes, the traffic will be a parking lot for hours. Even westbound C-470 is going to be backed up for hours. Traffic will be backed up for miles as commuters try to exit the Interstate. I pity anyone who has a flight out of DIA on Wednesday. They might as well spend the entire day at the airport because it will be impossible to get there in the afternoon.

There is surely a better option than holding debates in an area where the Interstate has to be closed. Somebody mentioned Buckley AFB, which would be fine. If you want to have it at a university in the state, then the Air Force Academy would be the perfect place. Other suitable venues include: Red Rocks Amphitheater (imagine the beauty of that setting), The Denver Center for Performing Arts, The Denver Convention Center, The Pepsi Center (closing Colfax and Speer would have less of an impact), Dick's Sports Stadium, Hughes Stadium in Ft. Collins (can you say the middle of nowhere?)

Old 09-30-2012, 12:12 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,501,052 times
Idunn wrote: Do these guys really warrant this?

NO!

Old 09-30-2012, 12:18 PM

20,381 posts, read 37,949,187 times
Okay, so we got our own 'carmageddon' to deal with. Get out of work by 3PM and hunker down.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:34 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,501,052 times
mfbe wrote: Get out of work by 3PM and hunker down

Or take the day off and don't go anywhere near the place.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:02 PM

20,381 posts, read 37,949,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
mfbe wrote: Get out of work by 3PM and hunker down

Or take the day off and don't go anywhere near the place.
My vote goes to the gentleman from Colorado who is on record that we take the day off.

The amendment is passed, we take the day off ( sound of gavel smacking loudly on an oak podium ).

Where's happy hour....we need to uh, um, harrumph, reconvene...yeah that's it, we need to reconvene to work on the implementing language....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:12 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,862,227 times
Wink Resolution?

How about this?
Whereas we the public have decided
A resolution that Wednesday, October 3, 2012 as holiday
To reconvene elsewhere, beyond Denver
That all might enjoy all other aspects of Colorado
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or