U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 03:48 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,268,426 times

Advertisements

I did a search first, but couldn't find the information. Hopefully these questions haven't come up a lot on this forum.

I was curious what items are good to have on hand in vehicles and the home, in preparation for winter. In the home, I'm guessing a snow shovel and maybe sand or salt for the driveway (we have an inclined driveway, and I'm hoping there aren't sliding issues when backing down out of the garage, and/or traction problems driving up and into the garage).
For the vehicle, I'm guessing an ice scraper and chains.

Another question about the home is window wells; especially snow melting and getting into the basement. I don't see why there are window wells and windows in the first place. Seems like it would be smarter to have solid walls and not have any openings (not only for snow and water, but also for security reasons). But regardless, I'm thinking it would be important to block the tops of the window wells to keep snow/rain out. Or am I missing something important here?

These may seem like dumb questions, but I'll admit to not being familiar with these areas, which are non-existent in the south. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 06:19 AM

352 posts, read 563,875 times
Just go through your first winter ever here, keep a running list of "man, I wish I had..." then next year you'll have first hand knowledge of what to buy. Observe your neighbors: do they, who live in Colorado like you now do, own a snow shovel? You know, like that.

And about those pesky window wells. I mean, who needs natural light down in a basement or the ability to escape if the stairs are on fire anyway?

Old 10-03-2012, 11:05 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,268,426 times
Thanks for the note. I hadn't thought about fire and escape route stuff, but then again, we don't have any plans of using the basement for a living area. It's unfinished, and kind of creepy. It also gives me headaches whenever down there (radon? mold?)

So, there's no need for natural light there, or a way of escaping. I still wonder about the potential for flood damage and mold. The air handler is down there after all Weird arrangement...

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 10-03-2012 at 11:26 AM..

Old 10-03-2012, 12:55 PM

4,747 posts, read 7,491,873 times
Smile New to snow ??

Some things people from the Southern climes do not realize about Denver:

Don't forget to have vehicles checked for proper antifreeze/coolant mix, and windshield washer bottle antifreeze mix also. You don't want to run straight water in either.

If house has underground lawn sprinklers system, it will need to be drained or "blown" out.

If house has an evaporative (aka swamp) cooler, it, and its feed line, needs drained and covered.

If overly worried about the window wells, Home Depot, etc sells plastic covers, sized and shaped to cover. (In 35 years living in Denver, never a problem. The wells should have a gravel bed that drains away any snow/rain)

If garage/driveway faces North, always clear snow away before driving on it. If it gets packed, the sun won't melt it like it will on South facing drives. BTDT

Re "air handler" (aka furnace), on a properly installed unit, room air to be heated is drawn from the living area via "cold air registers". Only combustion air is drawn from the basement(on older units) and sent up the flue pipe (Newer "90%" furnaces now draw air from outside)

Good luck, and enjoy the lower humidity

Old 10-03-2012, 02:10 PM

833 posts, read 1,381,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Don't forget to have vehicles checked for proper antifreeze/coolant mix, and windshield washer bottle antifreeze mix also. You don't want to run straight water in either.
Yeah, that's a big one. The antifreeze probably isn't an issue as warm or cold climate, you NEVER should run straight water and 50/50 is fairly standard.

The windshield washer will sneak up on you though, I was up in Denver for Christmas a few years ago and and a cold-snap came in. We froze the line that fed the spray nozzles, it cracked when I opened the hood and I had to patch it so it would work once it thawed out.

It never did thaw while we were in town, it wasn't until we were on our way back home and at the south end of Colorado Springs that the heat from the engine finally thawed that sucker.

Quote:
If overly worried about the window wells, Home Depot, etc sells plastic covers, sized and shaped to cover. (In 35 years living in Denver, never a problem. The wells should have a gravel bed that drains away any snow/rain)
I've always thought the covers were more to keep leaves and debris out.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:10 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,618,652 times
Keep an eye out for black widows right now. They love window wells this time of year.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:39 PM

4,621 posts, read 9,107,160 times
OP, we did have quite a lengthy discussion on here last year about this time about how to winterize your vehicle.

My thoughts: get snow tires, not just all-season tires. Carry in your car water, food, blankets, boots, gloves, flares, flashlight, and kitty litter.

Last edited by Dreaming of Hawaii; 10-03-2012 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 10-10-2012, 03:50 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post

I was curious what items are good to have on hand in vehicles and the home, in preparation for winter.
Wool socks, wool cap, flannel shirts, long johns.
tire chains

Old 10-11-2012, 09:14 AM

841 posts, read 1,248,802 times
Question about the tire chains: I've lived here in Colorado Springs for 11 years and only once did we have problems with traction- it was in my husband's rear wheel drive car, driving up Monument Hill in the middle of a massive spring snow storm. I got out and pushed the car (I am an idiot and haven't learned how to drive manual, so i was the only one to push)... I understand the need for chains if you don't have a good 4 wheel drive with good tires + clearance, and you're headed to the mountains when it's very snowy, but is there a overall need for chains on a typical car, if you live on the Front Range? I'm curious as I never have had chains for my car and when it's recommended I sorta scratch my head.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:28 PM

352 posts, read 563,875 times
I've never owned a set of chains. I do run studded snow tires, though. I have a set of four mounted on their own rims and change out from street to snows about this time of the year. Waiting for the forecast to indicate winter is finally here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado