U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-07-2007, 10:04 PM

3 posts, read 4,371 times
Default Would like to move to CO, but need some input.

Hey,
I have just graduated college with an accounting degree. Work full-time in the KS city area. I have always loved being in the mountains and I am thinking about moving out to Colorado...must be in the mountains....but I need some input. I don't know where.
I want it to be a small town 6,000 or so. I love to mountain bike, hike, and things of the sort(maybe not your typical accountant). I am somewhat familiar with Durango, Crested Butte. I don't really want a desert feel I would really like to be in the heart of the mountains. Being that I have just graduated funds are still limited. So $ is a factor in choosing where to go.
Could someone please give me some ideas of some great places for younger people to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-07-2007, 10:42 PM

11,730 posts, read 21,953,959 times
How do you plan on supporting yourself in such a small town?

Unread 10-07-2007, 10:53 PM

65,635 posts, read 51,968,470 times
I do not think there is any place in Colorado that would meet your qualifications. Most people in Colorado live somewhere on the Front Range or on the Western Slope (Grand Jct, etc) and go to the mtns to visit. It is mostly resort communities, especailly in the heart of the mts.

Unread 10-07-2007, 11:22 PM

3 posts, read 4,371 times
Really supporting myself isn't a problem. I have done things from maintance of bicycles to clerical, and now A/P stuff, as well as doing some bookkeeping on the side and I spent a couple years in the banking industry.

And in response to pittnurse70, there have to be people who live in the resort communities that work for the resorts.

Right now I have nothing tying me to anywhere right now and I want to make the best of it.
12,000people wouldn't be a bad amount. Honestly all I know is I want a community not a city. I want someplace in the mountains with great riding and hiking areas, and of course during the winter months great skiing/snowboarding area.

Unread 10-07-2007, 11:31 PM

65,635 posts, read 51,968,470 times
Well, I thought you wanted an accounting job. A resort town would not be the place to look for one. Most of the jobs in the resort towns are service jobs: waitpersons, retail, etc. Also, according to City-Data, the only resort town over 6000 people is Steamboat (9815). The only other possibility >6000people is Woodland Park, west of Colorado Springs.

Unread 10-08-2007, 07:25 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,645,881 times
Look up the local newspapers to get a sense of job opportunities and housing costs (shared rentals). Up here in Summit County, I know both Intrawest (Copper) and Vail Resorts had opening for full-time accounting positions a few months ago.

And to hear from people who actually have done what you're looking to do, check out the TGR forums. TONS of people there who live in the mountain towns/resorts. Some are true ski bums (working as waiters), and some have professional jobs (e.g. network engineer, lawyer, etc.). You'll also get to hear from people who live in cities like Denver or SLC and spend time in the mountains on the weekends.

Despite what people on this forum will tell you, it is doable, people do it every year, and you don't have to be a millionaire to do so. It will be hard to break in/make it work, but it is doable.

Unread 10-08-2007, 07:53 AM

9,658 posts, read 12,144,458 times
How about trying for a suitable accounting job with one of the big hotels or Mountain Village Resort in a wealthy place like Telluride?

Unread 10-08-2007, 09:19 AM

7,298 posts, read 10,057,799 times
I tend to agree with Fuzz. Since you're not yet tied down and you seem to have a willingness to do whatever it takes, you're very likely to find that you can do what you want to do, even when others say you cant. If I wouldn't have done everything that other people told me I couldn't do, I would have missed out on the best experiences of my life. If you really want to do something from a heartfelt place, no one can stop you. The only place I disagree with Fuzz, is that it will be hard to break in/make it work. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but don't assume that it has to be hard. Don't loose any sleep over getting an accountants job. You got your whole life to be an accountant. Enjoy life now. I've never heard of anyone on their deathbed wishing they would started their career earlier in life.

good luck and many blessings....Franco

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 10-08-2007 at 09:27 AM..

Unread 10-08-2007, 09:57 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,645,881 times
^^^ Agree with Franco -- I should have said it "may" be hard, instead of it "will" be hard. :-)

Unread 10-08-2007, 01:04 PM

94 posts, read 234,140 times
Here is a list of Colorado cities and population sizes.

State of Colorado - eLook City Data (broken link)

Sounds like you basically don't want to be in Denver or Colorado Springs. You're next choices, size-wise, are Boulder/Longmont region and the Ft. Collins/Loveland/Greeley region. Both still have somewhat of a small - town feel. Boulder is probably closer to ski-ing and such, but Ft. Collins has more of the small town feel these days. But both are also significantly larger than 6,000 people, and Boulder, by virtue of geography, could even be considered a Denver suburb.

As far as true small towns, it can certainly depend on your overall leanings (more liberal or conservative, prefer summer activities to winter activities), but I think some good choices are the obvious ski towns - Steamboat, Aspen, Vail, Breckenridge, Crested Butte; and some of the other well known spots - Estes, Durango, Telluride, Grand Junction, etc.

You might also want to consider access to airport, as well. Many of the more popular smaller towns have little flights to Denver airport to get out, but not all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado