U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 04:22 AM

45 posts, read 74,810 times

Advertisements

First of all thanks to all the posters who take all the pictures. Its great to travel to another place without the cost of airfare. lol But with that being said it makes me want to come out there even more.

I have been living in oregon for the last 11 years and have had enough of the rain, green, and rude people. I live in a town of about 10k and have either lived in other or have been to enough other towns from portland to eugene that I know I will not be spending my entire life here. With the approach of another wet winter I feel if I survive another winter it will be a miracle. Now I'm not from here. I'm actually from Idaho; Boise and surrounding areas to exact, and I really miss that sort of dry altitude.

My wife mentioned a friend of hers that lives in Pueblo and I took it upon myself to check out the area and it seems to have a lot of what I am looking for. I have been reading and trying to find out as much information as I can mainly about Pueblo. I have searched and read through many threads and found a great deal of information and want to ask a few questions of my own.

What is Colorado sales tax and what is taxed?

What is the monthly cost of utilities (gas, water, power, sewer, trash) for say a 1500 sqft house?

How is the cell service and who offers the best coverage in the area?

What does it cost to register a car, truck, motorcycle? DMV was real vague.

How are the internet speeds and who offers what kind of service?

Is there a lot of BLM land and is it accessible?

I seen mention of bird hunting. Is there pheasent, duck, quail, and dove? Are there public areas to hunt?

What is the cost of hunting/fishing license and are there tags for upland game and water fowl?

Is it possible to actually drive down to the waters edge of a body of water?

How is the gun culture and the presence of open carry?

Well thanks on advance for all that you can answer and keep all the pictures coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 12:51 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,183,346 times
Just about everything you ask varies from place to place across the state. A lot of the rest has been answered a hundred times before on the forum. Do a search and you will find most of the answers have already been posted.

Unfortunately, the number of transplants that have invaded Colorado, especially in the Front Range and resort areas, have made Colorado a much more rude place in the last 20 years or so. If you think you will escape the kind of rudeness you describe in Oregon, you probably won't. The days of Colorado being primarily a place of friendly small-town folks are, unfortunately, ending.

A couple of specific answers:

Colorado has the most complex sales tax law in the United States. State sales tax rate is 2.9% and grocery-bought food is exempt. HOWEVER, counties and municipalities can and do impose their own sales taxes and exemption of food is at their option. Sales tax rates go as high as 8%-9% and some special taxing districts can go higher than that.

Colorado motor vehicle registration fees are fairly high, and are based on the value, age, and weight of the vehicle. Vehicles purchased for registration in Colorado are also subject to the same sales tax rates as everything else, depending on where the person lives. So, a person who purchases a new $40K pickup here may pay up to $3,200 or more in sales tax, plus a registration fee of $600 or more to register the vehicle for the first year. (If the sales tax was not collected from the buyer when the vehicle was purchased, the buyer must pay the sales tax to the County Clerk when the vehicle is registered.) Registration fees go to minimum when the vehicle is 10 years old, but seldom fall much below $100 per year now.

Statewide, Verizon offers the best overall cell coverage, followed by AT&T, then everybody else. In rural areas, most all carriers have to "piggyback" on either the Verizon or AT&T networks. Internet speeds go from super-fast to horrible, dependent on location. Large areas of the rural parts of the state are reliant on satellite internet service--DSL may not even be available.

Utility rates vary considerably across the state--often being considerably different even in adjacent areas, depending on what utilities provide service.

Most areas of the state outside of the metro areas and resort areas are pro-gun. Colorado is a "must issue" state for concealed weapons permits (subject to criminal background checks) and many people have CWP's. Colorado also has its decades-old "Make my day" law that allows a person to use deadly force to defend his or her home from a person breaking in. Specifically, from the Colorado Revised Statutes:

Quote:
18-1-704.5. Use of deadly physical force against an intruder

(1) The general assembly hereby recognizes that the citizens of Colorado have a right to expect absolute safety within their own homes.

(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of section 18-1-704, any occupant of a dwelling is justified in using any degree of physical force, including deadly physical force, against another person when that other person has made an unlawful entry into the dwelling, and when the occupant has a reasonable belief that such other person has committed a crime in the dwelling in addition to the uninvited entry, or is committing or intends to commit a crime against a person or property in addition to the uninvited entry, and when the occupant reasonably believes that such other person might use any physical force, no matter how slight, against any occupant.

(3) Any occupant of a dwelling using physical force, including deadly physical force, in accordance with the provisions of subsection (2) of this section shall be immune from criminal prosecution for the use of such force.

(4) Any occupant of a dwelling using physical force, including deadly physical force, in accordance with the provisions of subsection (2) of this section shall be immune from any civil liability for injuries or death resulting from the use of such force.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:09 PM

12,106 posts, read 20,417,798 times
As jazz said a lot of your questions have been answered many in the Pueblo threads. As far as people moving in the state I have a different view as I welcome people to move here and if I could I would give every new resident to Pueblo a red carpet as I think new people mean new ideas that can only help out a city. As far how friendly we are. I have lived all over the country and I think people in Colorado are among the friendliest. If you want to move I say come out and visit Pueblo or Colorado Springs and see if it's right for you and look up both cities on here to see if they are what you are looking for.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:20 PM

45 posts, read 74,810 times
I can tell by the attitudes on the board that I would like it there and I hope to be able to come visit sometime soon.

Thanks for all your help and keep those picture threads coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado