U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 05:17 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,348,297 times

Advertisements

This is my new SUV. It is a Mercedes 500 ML and its all wheel drive. I got it after the last winter season so I will find out how it does in snow this season. From what I have read and heard I think it will do great in the snow.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 05:28 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times
One of the things I teach at work is off road vehicle recovery with recovery gear and how to do it safely. I have a lot of professional experience recovering stuck vehicles out of snow as well.

In my opinion, if you do put something under the tires, you better clear the hell out of the way. Personally I prefer gritty sand because it reduces the chance of something becoming a flying projectile. Another thing people use is floor mats from the vehicle. Overall I have not seen much luck with putting things under the wheels, although I would not doubt it would work sometimes. If you are going to go that route, I'd get some of those purpose built traction mats that have some length to them and fold out to a couple of feet long.

One of the biggest problems I see is snow getting packed up underneath the vehicle, which is why an entrenching tool or small shovel is very handy. A lot of people have a big shovel which maybe is fine if the car is buried under snow, but underneath the vehicle you need something smaller.

A new bit of technology is snow socks or textile "chains". These are very effective and can help get a vehicle unstuck after being installed. These are now very common in Europe, as they are easy to store and carry with you and just as easy to install or even easier than chains. Over the past few years, they have been increasingly been sold in the USA.

Car Snow Socks | Snow Socks | Auto Sock | AutoSock UK

If you ever use a recovery strap or tow strap to pull a vehicle out, keep in mind many people get killed every year by people hooking up straps to ball hitches or other vehicle parts that cannot take the load. Tow straps can be identified by having metal hooks on the end. These straps are not meant for pulling as they don't have the stretch factor or load factor needed for vehicle recovery. What you need is a 30,000 lb rated recovery strap with loops on each end.

Also I can tell you if you have a vehicle buried in snow up to the axles you need about 3 times the vehicle weight in pulling power. So if your vehicle is 5,000 pounds, you'll need to come up with 15000 pounds or more of pulling power.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:31 AM

1,207 posts, read 4,137,134 times
Jazz hit it on head^^. I've had to dig a lot of 4wd and AWD trucks and cars out around our home because of the depth of the drifts that form. It can be a real slow process digging the snow from under a vehicle. During one event when the plows couldn't make it through, I watched a lifted Blazer with huge tires literally blast his way through 4 foot drifts. He had enough clearance and probably more important enough speed to keep from getting stuck. It was quite impressive.
Wannero- Although I've never seen an airbag deploy, someone told me that hitting a deep drift can set them off. Have you ever seen or heard of this?

Last edited by vfrpilot; 10-05-2012 at 06:32 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-05-2012, 06:35 AM

2,864 posts, read 7,096,377 times
I have a 12,000lb Warn winch and a tool box full of snatch blocks and straps. I will NEVER get stuck, unless there's nothing to tie off to lol.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:43 AM

352 posts, read 564,010 times
Studded snow tires work for me. And reacting fast when things are getting dicey out there. Try to avoid the Camaro with slick road tires in front of you making you slow down when you want to keep your speed up. People think that just because they have 4WD that's the solution. Well, yeah, 4WD or AWD and studded snow tires is what I've always had.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:02 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,619,062 times
For towing out of a snow drift a fire hose works the best, the elasticity is the key.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:41 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
Reading all of this makes me appreciative of the usually modest snowfalls in Grand Junction. When there is snow on the roads, my car stays in the garage and I take the bus if I need to go anywhere in town.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:42 PM

2,395 posts, read 4,160,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Reading all of this makes me appreciative of the usually modest snowfalls in Grand Junction. When there is snow on the roads, my car stays in the garage and I take the bus if I need to go anywhere in town.
I think most of this talk is about the mountains, like 99% of the time it's totally fine and easy in Denver. I haven't been stuck anywhere yet (this will be my 3rd Winter here)

Old 10-05-2012, 09:03 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
I have a 12,000lb Warn winch and a tool box full of snatch blocks and straps. I will NEVER get stuck, unless there's nothing to tie off to lol.
I've seen plenty of idiots break a winch cable trying to get a badly stuck vehicle out in deep snow. The winch is trying to pull everything from the vehicle to the horizon to get loose. I remember watching one very "poignant" incident when a fool trying to winch out of deep snow managed to pull a 50' tall spruce out of the ground and down onto his pickup, smashing the cab in the process.

I've been using 4WD vehicles and winches for over 40 years now. They are very handy, but not invincible. Anyone who says that they are invincible doesn't have near the experience that they think that they have.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:52 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,102,887 times
I love snow!

Took this one on October 8 2011.........hopefully getting snow tomorrow! Always do narly donuts in the church parking lot on the first big snow!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado