U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-08-2012, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Colorado
9,834 posts, read 6,305,324 times
Reputation: 17730

Advertisements

Ya know, every time I talk about how much I hate driving in winter weather, people tell me I will "get used to it." As though I simply hate it due to inexperience. Nothing could be further from the truth. I lived in Iowa for eight years, and crossed Wyoming in a ground blizzard so bad I couldn't see anything but my husband's tail lights in front of me (didn't even know if we were still on the highway) and did the Oregon Rockies under chain restrictions...with no chains...on packed snow and ice. I CAN do it. My vehicle CAN do it. Will I ever love it? Heck no. I can't even watch Ice Road Truckers without getting all nervous and clenchy.

I drive a FWD minivan with the bigger sized engine putting lots of lovely weight over those drive wheels, I put sandbags in the back to reduce sliding on stops, and I go sllllooooowwww. I've never been stuck, and very rarely out of control even for a moment. But. For all of you who hate people who drive slowly in snow, impeding your awesome 4WD progress up the road...know that I do try to be considerate. I put my flashers on so you can see me, and I try to stick to roads with a passing lane so you can get around me. So if ya see my green minivan creeping up Powers this winter...know it aint nothin' personal, and I'm not an idiot. I'm just scared, and I'm tryin' to be safe. Go on around...
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-08-2012, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Valley of the Sun
220 posts, read 429,974 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
For all of you who hate people who drive slowly in snow, impeding your awesome 4WD progress up the road...know that I do try to be considerate. I put my flashers on so you can see me, and I try to stick to roads with a passing lane so you can get around me. So if ya see my green minivan creeping up Powers this winter...know it aint nothin' personal, and I'm not an idiot.
You're not an idiot. Quite the opposite actually. The real idiots are the idiots in big ass lifted idiot 4WD vehicles that tailgate people in snowstorms because they are to impatient, self absorbed and rude to consider others. Driving in snow aint (yeah I'm using the word aint, what) that bad. Just go slow, stay within your own comfort zone and stay to the right in passing lane areas.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2012, 07:40 PM
 
20,329 posts, read 37,847,549 times
Reputation: 18119
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRScott View Post
You're not an idiot. Quite the opposite actually. The real idiots are the idiots in big ass lifted idiot 4WD vehicles that tailgate people in snowstorms because they are to impatient, self absorbed and rude to consider others. Driving in snow aint (yeah I'm using the word aint, what) that bad. Just go slow, stay within your own comfort zone and stay to the right in passing lane areas.
We had our share of them in the DC area....the "I got a 4WD SUV and I'll show you slow-pokes how it's done" type. There were a few times we actually saw these ninnies flying by us on city streets only to spin out like crazy a block or two later. Sonic is going to do just fine.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2012, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,065 posts, read 15,487,770 times
Reputation: 5288
We'll see!!! (you said tires on the roof right?)

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2012, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,756 posts, read 16,470,226 times
Reputation: 9292
GSXRScott wrote: If the snow's so bad that my AWD CRV cant get me to work then I'm taking a personal day. Time to get some chores done around the house.

Now here's someone who thinks alot like I do, except the part about getting chores done around the house. I'm more likely to curl up by the woodstove with a 600 page Clive Cussler novel and drink cup after cup of hot yerba mate.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2012, 11:02 PM
 
Location: Centennial State
399 posts, read 668,080 times
Reputation: 176
Some people aren't allowed to take a personal day. They're the ones who you want to be at work if you happen to be hanging onto life by the IV drip rates. =P Firefighters, police, hospital personnel, etc. I know at least one person who works at a hospital that drives a CR-V. Well I should say drove; she used to drive a CR-V but then she decided to buy a vehicle with a more appropriate AWD system (that actually works) for snow.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 12:45 AM
 
9,817 posts, read 19,042,905 times
Reputation: 7541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobe Itsavized View Post
Some people aren't allowed to take a personal day. They're the ones who you want to be at work if you happen to be hanging onto life by the IV drip rates. =P Firefighters, police, hospital personnel, etc. I know at least one person who works at a hospital that drives a CR-V. Well I should say drove; she used to drive a CR-V but then she decided to buy a vehicle with a more appropriate AWD system (that actually works) for snow.
One thing I find talking with the public is most people think all AWD systems are the same. And they are not. In the various traction tests I saw with the CRV, it performed pretty poorly. Some of these AWD systems only kick 10-30% power to the back.

The best systems I have seen are in Subaru's and Audi's, although I am sure there are others almost as good.

At the end of the day, the key is to have the appropriate tire for the conditions you drive in. If you drive in a lot of winter weather, it makes a big difference to have proper winter tires. I think even living on the Front Range with the storms that hit and if you are someone that has an essential job, I'd have winter tires no question about it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 03:40 AM
 
Location: Centennial State
399 posts, read 668,080 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
One thing I find talking with the public is most people think all AWD systems are the same. And they are not. In the various traction tests I saw with the CRV, it performed pretty poorly. Some of these AWD systems only kick 10-30% power to the back.

The best systems I have seen are in Subaru's and Audi's, although I am sure there are others almost as good.

At the end of the day, the key is to have the appropriate tire for the conditions you drive in. If you drive in a lot of winter weather, it makes a big difference to have proper winter tires. I think even living on the Front Range with the storms that hit and if you are someone that has an essential job, I'd have winter tires no question about it.
Yes, I agree. And yes, tires before AWD/4WD/4X4. Otherwise it's like wearing regular shoes instead of cleets, using air instead of helium, etc.

Apparently the AWD system for the 2013 Honda CR-V was updated to more frequently transfer power to the rear but that's all I've heard. I haven't seen or heard anything about the AWD system being upgrade in terms of capability (which is already low to begin with).

Subaru, (excluding the BRZ) as always, is up there in terms of AWD.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 10:15 AM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,130,110 times
Reputation: 9066
People who hate driving in winter road conditions probably shouldn't be living in Colorado, especially if their work or lifestyle depends on driving in winter. It's a fact of life here--some locales more than others, but winter driving conditions occur everywhere.

I can't say that I enjoy driving when the roads are a complete mess in winter--actually, what I really despise is having to deal with the other idiots on the road who DON'T know how to drive in winter--but I long ago accepted the fact that it is part of living here. Personally, I think that a working understanding of how to drive in winter road conditions should be a prerequisite for getting a driver's license in Colorado, as should be a working understanding of how to drive on mountain roads.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 10:38 AM
 
1,742 posts, read 2,622,392 times
Reputation: 1923
Vehicles that transfers power to front / back must the transaxle / transfer case oil changed often or they go out early. Big bucks.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top