U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 12:22 PM

12 posts, read 19,798 times

Advertisements

Can you? Denver born and raised, but gone for over 30 years - thinking about Fort Collins area, but wonder as I scan realty listing if this would work: want an older (pre-1950) house with some character, but think it may be hard to stay under c. 200K if it's not a dump or in a dicey neighborhood... realize that older places tend to be on small lots too; but under a quarter acre seems clastrophobic to me after living country/suburbs for years always on over an acre.
So, kind readers, would appreciate some reality checks if we need them - no kids, so schools don't matter.Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 12:42 PM

12,106 posts, read 20,428,458 times
I live in Pueblo but I always meet people who have moved away then came "home" and absolutely love it. So I say if you want to move back to Colorado go for it!

Old 10-04-2012, 01:37 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,087,757 times
Population growth didn't really take off until after 1950, so I don't think you'll have as many choices for older homes as you would in a state back east. I don't know about Fort Collins but I am familiar with older neighborhoods in the Denver area and yes some of the lot sizes are small, but not really smaller than many of the modern McMansion lots however. I think if you can find a good gentrified neighborhood, it's not a bad choice.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:09 PM

12 posts, read 19,798 times
well thanks. What about prices -- I know things are much higher than Tenn; I do see listings in our price range (under around 200K ) but you know how it is; something looks great on realtor.com, but turns out there's a meat packing plant next door, or it's a gangbanger neighborhood or something. are there likely to be decent houses in that range in FC or Loveland?

Old 10-07-2012, 08:59 AM

3,757 posts, read 4,429,818 times
You can find some older homes in Fort Collins around old town and you can find homes around $200,000 or less, but you will have trouble finding a old home on more then a quarter acre for less then $200,000 in Fort Collins.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:35 AM

10 posts, read 17,564 times
I came from So Cal in 99 and went back for Spring Break this past April: WOW!

Forgot about the palm trees!

After going there, crying how much I missed the beaches, I realized that financially, we'd NEVER, EVER be able to go back 'home.'

Since 99, i have learned a lot living here and can say the changes since then have really floored me. There was no crime during 99 .. i mean, watching the nightly news, nothing occurred.. So CAL: every single day there's a car chase on the frwy,, murder, rape, arson, every single day.

I have friends who live in NEW homes in MN, WI and IA ... they also have LAND! Just right around 89K.

Can you come home? If you go North or way South I think... Not in Denver.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:20 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,229,558 times
This is a question I ask myself all the time. Yes, I think I can go back to Colorado, just not sure I could go back "home," ie Denver. After living half my life away from Denver, and living in small towns or cities for the last 18 years, I think it would be a really hard adjustment to move back to such a large city. However, that's the predicament we face, as work is mostly along the Front Range, at least with the salary we desire. We have looked again at Fort Collins, but unsure we could afford to live there. I think it becomes a pros and cons situation and you have to decide whether you can do it. I do miss everything about Colorado though, except the traffic and congestion along the Front Range. Good luck deciding!

Old 11-29-2012, 06:42 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,504,006 times
Bon Jovi & Jennifer Nettles "Who Says You Can't Go Home"

Old 12-04-2012, 01:59 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,597,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
. We have looked again at Fort Collins, but unsure we could afford to live there.
Is it that much more expensive to live in Fort Collins?

Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,229,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Is it that much more expensive to live in Fort Collins?
It is, if you don't have a job. I realized that I worded that funny. What I meant to say, is that it's expensive compared to the wages and jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or