U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 04:11 PM

5 posts, read 4,775 times

Advertisements

Hey there I've been lurking around this site for awhile now and I decided to sign up and ask for some assistance. I currently live in Livermore, CA which is part of the East Bay Area and I'm looking to move to CO. I'm 26 years old, male, no kids, single, mostly conservative, and an outdoor enthusiast. What I'm looking for:

-a medium to big city (>100,000)
-must be close to mountain bike trails most importantly as well as the good slopes for boarding
-Coming from the Bay Area, I would like a city that has some kind of Whole Foods/organic market or farmers market as well as some cultural diversity
-I'm currently a warehouse supervisor and working on my bachelors in business administration. I received my AA degree in June. One issue I'm foreseeing is transferring my credits to a university in CO so I may try and take online classes at my current school and apply to CSU East Bay's online business program if I can't transfer my AA degree and it's credits. Any insight into this would be much appreciated. I'd rather not apply to the school and then figure out which courses will transfer
-I have a friend in Fort Collins and I've discussed this topic with him but Fort Collins may not have enough of a job market
-I've been comparing cost of living between various cities in CO and they are all much cheaper than CA obviously, but I want somewhere I can rent a 1 br/1 bth for about 600 or so until I get more established
-the main things for me are the access to trails as I'm an avid mountain biker, dirt biker, snowboarder, camper, and overall outdoorsy guy
-I'd like to be close to somewhat of a nightlife. I don't usually go out too much but now if I want to I can easily go to Downtown Livermore or head out to S.F. or San Jose
-I'm a big time sports guy and hockey is my favorite sport
-BTW I'm not the typical Californian. I'm a genuinely good person and that could be one of the reasons I don't fit in here!

So I'm planning on flying into Denver either Thanksgiving weekend or New Year's weekend to explore various areas. Basically I am asking for help narrowing down where I should visit for my 3 or so days. If it helps, I'm looking to become a warehouse manager, logistics manager, supply chain planner, or another job along those lines. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 11:45 PM

12,845 posts, read 24,492,913 times
The number of metro areas with that population is maybe one or two? Locals, help me out here?
I think that rent for that apartment is extremely unlikely in any such area. Sorry. Maybe others can be more helpful.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:00 AM

2,253 posts, read 5,840,209 times
Wink A few considerations

To begin in reverse, why Thanksgiving or New Year's? Doing so puts you at a disadvantage. But if the only possible time, so be it.

There are not many options in 100,000 population plus cities; this puts you in but a few qualifying towns along the Front Range, with Denver metro of course the largest. Due your preferences, Boulder comes to mind, certainly qualifying in size (very nearly), organic markets, school, and also recreation. Great access to wonderful (if perhaps crowded) hiking trails directly from town; whether mountain bikes are allowed is another matter, so one might check on that. However such a location would offer better access to skiing, with that of Eldora just beyond Nederland to the west. Whereas anyone in Fort Collins is left relatively remote in this regard. If wishing a larger mountain, then Boulder also has more ready access to I-70 and, with everyone else, up to the large resorts in a place such as Summit County, Winter Park being a bit closer in (if over a high pass), and Vail a bit beyond Copper Mountain in continuing on I-70. So in some respects Denver metro might be the better bet with the largest job market, and also most direct access via I-70. As far as biking trails there, not sure, if likely. The same maybe if in Colorado Springs, and then a somewhat different route to the same resorts for skiing.

Aside from employment, being a rather key practical reality (and not always that easy to secure), most of what you've outlined seems best suited to the mountains. There is no town there even close to approaching the population size given, but aside from possibly the job most everything else is on offer. Particularly in snowboarding and mountain biking, one would be right there at ground zero with a lot of other enthusiasts. There is also plenty of nightlife, and many of the services one might want on a daily basis.

Schooling, not so much, with limited options in perhaps Colorado Mountain College (being I believe expensive but perhaps worth it). Do your homework on this, as any of these schools will be expensive if paying out of state tuition. One other thought on this, kind of out in left field, would be Fort Lewis College in Durango. Skiing is a bit removed, but no worse a commute and indeed surely better than I-70, and a good mountain.

Whether there or elsewhere, in the mountains or not (and more particularly in the high country), $600 is not going to rent very much accommodation. Such a figure pretty much puts you into something sketchy, or with roommates.

Thus in dealing with an at times troublesome reality, one might want to consider not only an optimum time for such reconnoissance, but towards what exact end. If not in the mountains, many of these Front Range towns have good biking opportunities, lots of bicyclists and others into outdoor recreation. Only a good many of them find they spend most of their time there, rather than getting to the slopes or mountain trails, as a weekend ordeal. In other words, without a pile of cash some compromises will have to be made. The most common solution is to seek the obviously practical and get to the mountains when able, as most do. If edging past that age, those younger may opt for a year or two playing ski bum in the mountains, and get by that way. If many of them work on the mountain and relatively soon gone, these resorts operate as corporate businesses, with the requirement in having a full range of qualified personnel. I believe Vail Resorts, who operates many of these areas, is now headquartered in Denver. Although one might end up working in an executive capacity for such an outfit in the mountains. That would take some dedication and planning; if perhaps one way to get a foot in the door to begin at the bottom on the slopes and perhaps from there not only become known but also learn what they would be seeking in qualification for higher positions. Possibly, maybe, and surely not easy save entry positionsówith it even now somewhat late in the season to secure that.

If perhaps first if any of this makes any sense. Maybe the biking can be around town in Fort Collins or somewhere, and snowboarding on occasion when able. Certainly a more customary aim. And where one may well be headed unless with a different focus. The main thing cited are outdoor activities, but willing to pay that price?

Old 10-07-2012, 08:06 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,119,997 times
The larger cities (with the exception of Grand Junction) are going to be Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs and Pueblo. You can find a multitude of threads here about the culture in each of these cities. The one that would meet most of your criteria, although it is a liberal town, is Boulder. However, cost of housing is pretty high there.

Denver is probably where you should focus your three-day trip. That's really not much time to explore a new city, especially during a major holiday. There is a site called padmapper that has been recommended many times here, but not knowing what part of town you will be settling in it will be harder to evaluate possible rentals. Regarding school, do you have to apply before you can find out which credits transfer? Can't you just contact the schools to ask?

If you don't mind driving from Livermore to SF or San Jose for nightlife, then you could live just about anywhere in the Denver metro area and still be closer to downtown. And you probably wouldn't mind the drive to the mountains for your boarding.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:09 PM

5 posts, read 4,775 times
Thanks for the quick responses. On second thought, it is not mandatory for the population to be over 100k. Livermore is about 90k but lacks culture and diversity as well. As long as the city has access to good shopping centers, downtown, it could be much lower. Coming from the Bay Area, I just do not want to be so isolated right away. Population density is one of my reasons for relocation. As some of you have noted, I do not mind driving to my destinations. To go snowboarding, it takes me a good 3 hours at least, due to the lack of trails here it takes me an hour to go mountain biking, and about an hour to get to S.F. so that's not a huge issue.

$600 seems to be a little low but using padmapper I found a plethora of available apartments. However, if I found a comparable job I could afford upwards of $800 and still have money for trips.

I contacted a couple of schools and talked to admissions. Certain courses out of certain fields are accepted but it depends on the school. However, I believe I'll be able to continue online education through my current school and CSU to complete my bachelors. I will need to discuss transferring with schools in CO further.

I will most likely be focusing on the greater Denver area, and traveling up to Ft. Collins where my friend resides and he can hopefully show me around. Boulder seems like a great place but from what I've seen it's almost as expensive for housing as it is here.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:18 PM

239 posts, read 491,838 times
Talk to your advisor at CSUEB and see what you would need to do to transfer. If you move before finishing your degree there, you may end up paying out-of-state tuition for the online classes.

I don't blame you for moving from CA. I'm in Turlock and can't wait to move to Colorado Springs. Although we have to save some money and wait for job transfers to go through before we can go.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:05 PM

352 posts, read 564,637 times
Golden. Close to trails for riding. Priority #1.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:26 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,029,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailRider86 View Post
Thanks for the quick responses. On second thought, it is not mandatory for the population to be over 100k. Livermore is about 90k but lacks culture and diversity as well. As long as the city has access to good shopping centers, downtown, it could be much lower. Coming from the Bay Area, I just do not want to be so isolated right away. Population density is one of my reasons for relocation. As some of you have noted, I do not mind driving to my destinations. To go snowboarding, it takes me a good 3 hours at least, due to the lack of trails here it takes me an hour to go mountain biking, and about an hour to get to S.F. so that's not a huge issue.
You don't have a lot to pick from. 90% of Colorado's population is on the I-25 corridor and it's all on the prairie with a view of the mountains. You pretty much have Denver Metro, CO Springs, Pueblo and Ft Collins to pick from.

You will have to drive to get to skiing and mountain biking. You are looking at 1.5-4 hours to get up the hill to ski and the same for good hiking and biking not overrun with scores of people.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:31 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,459,702 times
TrailRider86 wrote: Please help me narrow down my search..set on moving to CO.

The tightest part of the narrowing funnel is usually related to finding a job, so my suggestion is this: Wherever you find a job.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:12 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,111,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
TrailRider86 wrote: Please help me narrow down my search..set on moving to CO.

The tightest part of the narrowing funnel is usually related to finding a job, so my suggestion is this: Wherever you find a job.
IF he can find a job. That's no easy, simple task--anymore, anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado