U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 09:12 PM

39 posts, read 44,078 times

Advertisements

I am a single mom of 3 school aged children I currently live in Columbia county GA I like it here but my children and I are not happy here. We are looking to move to the North area but where? I keep looking at different states and I keep coming back to Colorado and a few others such as Minnesota and North Georgia. We would like to take a trip soon but would like to get some local opinions:

So this is what I am looking for:

Schools are number one for elementary and middle.
Cost of living is it possible to rent a 2 or 3 bedroom place under $700.00 a month that is in a safe neighborhood?
Crime rate I know everywhere there is crime but I want to make sure my kids feel safe as I am a single mom.
Activities for my kids, sports and dance.
Community colleges local as I would like to go to school in the medical field
Convenience to where I can drive to a town for all my needs (grocery, hospitals, shopping etc but have the peace and quiet for my family.
Season change as I live in the South but was raised in New York we miss the season change as well as the snow so would love to live in a area where we can see some snow every year. Never been to Colorado heard wonderful things and from what I see and hear I don't think snow will be an issue lol.
Taxes how are they are they high or moderate?

Having said all that I would love everyone's opinion and if you can give me your top 5 places to live with what I am looking for I would be extremely grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 01:14 AM

2,253 posts, read 5,848,135 times
Wink Colorado 101

To begin with the bad news: Colorado would not be your least expensive option; $700 per month could provide something, but likely not with as many bedrooms as desired, or in a preferred area. As with the rest of the United States, this economy is struggling; securing any job might be a challenge, with keen competition for the more well paying and desirable.

To counterbalance that somewhat: one will definitely have some snow (potentially a good amount in the mountains), and also four seasons. Education is generally good to excellent, depending on the school district. There are also good options in higher education. The more desirable towns will also have many options in sports and extracurricular activities for children and adults. Taxes on good and services are perhaps near the national average (save exceptions such as New Hampshire and Oregon, without sales taxes), but a decided advantage to homeowners with low property taxes.

Your experience in the three given locations will be decidedly different. In Colorado, expect a semi-arid land of high elevation and little humidity. Socially, fairly tolerant and secular, if with still a fair number of churches in residence. The culture will not be the same as in Georgia or Minnesota.

While one might prefer to live outside of town, the given rent probably precludes single family houses, being most of the options outside of any town. So lodging will probably be in town, and in an apartment. That doesn't usually offer the best odds for peace and quiet, especially at that price point. The five places one is most likely to end up would be along the Front Range, between Pueblo to the south, and Fort Collins to the north. Grand Junction in western Colorado is a major town as well—it is in the region—but still small in comparison to the size of the market and opportunities of the Front Range. Beyond this one is mostly dealing with smaller towns and the economic realities they present. Most of Colorado's population resides along the Front Range as where the jobs, services, and often lowest cost of living are congregated.

If spending much time on this forum you will see a recurring trend in those interested in making a life and home in Colorado, and intent on moving. Often with little idea of what is involved—so just as well they checked in advance. Many of them have seen a beautiful picture somewhere, imagining much the same. That is a reality here as well, but living in the mountains often requires the most determination and sacrifice, if not that and also money. As with anywhere else, there are no panaceas. Yet the many that might move here are not entirely deluded either; there is much to recommend this state. Only the more desirable areas will come at a cost, and anywhere will prove more of a challenge than some other areas in the United States.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:56 AM

Thank you for all that information. I always said Colorado will be the place I want to retire at I was trying to get ahead start lol. I will continue my search in the mean time for the right place for my kids.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:12 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,139,426 times
Colorado is probably not your place. Thanks to state constitutional provisions, Colorado is headed for ever-escalating fiscal crisis, and that is going to negatively affect school funding and quality for the foreseeable future, along with a myriad of other public services. The education funding crisis is affecting and will continue to affect primary, secondary, and higher education. It's just a fact of life here.

Colorado's demographics are that most of the population lives in sprawled, heavy-traffic, automobile-dependent suburbia in the state's metro areas. The resort areas are generally unaffordable to most working class people, unless they are willing to accept a very austere lifestyle. The remaining small towns are mostly either reliant upon agriculture or energy extraction. The former offer few good-paying jobs and the latter are often boom/bust places with a relatively transient population lacking a lot of social stability.

If one looks at crime statistics, Colorado generally ranks middling in crime nationally. Unfortunately, the illicit drug trade, both meth and other illicit drugs, is active statewide, including the rural areas. There is considerable activity statewide associated with the Mexican drug cartels. Property crime is found everywhere, as well, and is often perpetrated by meth addicts. Violent crime is more common in the metro areas than in rural areas. Non-domestic violent crime in the metro areas tends to be centered around the drug trade and gang activity, in rural areas there is much less violent crime, and it is usually more centered around domestic violence.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:03 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,474,534 times
stacy30813 wrote: I like it here but my children and I are not happy here

Remember the old cliche....wherever you go, there you are. Happiness is an inside job. If you are unhappy where you are now, chances are that you will quickly revert to being unhappy as soon as the novelty of being in a new place wears off. Homeostasis at work. Do a bit of soul searching to find the deeper cause(s) of your unhappiness. Take care of the underlying issue first...Then move.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:34 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,848,135 times
Wink Location

Insofar as finding inner peace—I agree. A worthwhile endeavor which will reward the seeker.

However, geographic location alone can inform much else in our life. As example, how harmonious one may feel living directly next to an eight-lane interstate, or perhaps one thin wall distant some ahole blasting raucous music 24/7 (or maybe just the frequent parties with accompanying gunfire).

It is far easier to mellow out in a monastery remote from the common afflictions of the world. It can be an education, and even enlightening, to enter it as well and suffer some of those slings and arrows. But if a happy and serene home desired, just its exact location and circumstances WILL matter—unless one prefers combat as a lifestyle.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:16 PM

345 posts, read 759,937 times
Kids are not always happy where they grow up, my daughter does not like it here in Colorado and wants out, either now or when she graduates high school. She is not looking at one single college here. Since the housing market sucks it may be when she graduates HS much to her annoyance. I too would like to move back East but I am more realistic and know I cannot just pick up and go, I would love to but that is not the way it works

There are not four distinct seasons here like in NY, Fall may contain Summer and Winter, Spring the same, March is the snowiest month.

Since you have never been here the brown 6 months out of the year, less trees and fairly flat may appeal to you or it just may may you say eww it is not very pretty here.

The cost of living is another thing I would look into. It is not that cheap to live here and $700 a month is probably not going to happen in the metro area.

I would do more research job-wise and cost of living then if it is still a consideration come visit for a long weekend. The least attractive time is coming up and IMO the best time to visit.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:24 PM

1,207 posts, read 4,144,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
Insofar as finding inner peace—I agree. A worthwhile endeavor which will reward the seeker.

However, geographic location alone can inform much else in our life. As example, how harmonious one may feel living directly next to an eight-lane interstate, or perhaps one thin wall distant some ahole blasting raucous music 24/7 (or maybe just the frequent parties with accompanying gunfire).

It is far easier to mellow out in a monastery remote from the common afflictions of the world. It can be an education, and even enlightening, to enter it as well and suffer some of those slings and arrows. But if a happy and serene home desired, just its exact location and circumstances WILL matter—unless one prefers combat as a lifestyle.
Next line>> And when you can snatch the pebble from an old blind man's palm, you will be Okeedokee to venture out into this world, Little Grasshoppa

Old 10-13-2012, 06:50 AM

Thank you all for this enlightening information. I know it's not easy to up and move but this area is way to congested where we are at now and it's not getting any better! Ya I think we are going to stay in Georgia the cost of living is lower and the areas I am looking at in Georgia the schools are really good and they have the programs my kids need. My kids are a lot like me they want to be in an area where they feel comfortable they are very outdoorsy like me and they like their peace and quiet! Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or