U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 10:03 PM

16,171 posts, read 20,180,588 times

Advertisements

Norwood doesn't get much of a mention because there isn't much to it, but I like towns like that. I'd guess the population is around 500 or so. Grand Avenue is the main drag (Colo. 145) Was through there a couple months ago.

The restaurants are all pretty much grouped together; Lone Cone Restaurant and Bar, Happy Belly Deli (bkfst. and lunch), and Costa Alegre (Mexican). Clarks is the food market-pretty small place. Montrose would be your best bet for shopping with Walmart and City Market your choices. They're both on the south side of town.

The only outdoor activity I do is fish Miramonte Reservoir, about nine miles south of town on the Dolores-Norwood Road. And after summer of next year there won't be any of that because some dope decided to dump a bunch of smallbouth bass in the water. Smalmouth and native species don't mix for ****. The Wildlife folks hate to do it but they're going to have to dump a tad of poison and do a total fishkill. Miramonte is part of the Nobel Wildlife area. Nobel is Dan Nobel, a former state politician. There are a few hiking trails and the drive is worth it just to see Lone Cone. It's a 13,700 ft. plus mountain that sits a few miles miles away from Miramonte. Sticks out like a sore thumb-picture postcard pretty!

On the county roads are several million dollar homes that are owned by part year residents. But the core of the town (town limits) has always been attractive, to me anyway. Weather wise, I don't think you'll be snowed in anytime this month, but you're at 7000 ft. down there. But it does snow in November and can really snow in December. C-Dot has a work yard in town though. One thing about the county and state roads in that area. There are some county and state roads on the western slope that are posted "No snowplow coverage 9 p.m. to 5 a.m." San Miguel county stretches a long way from west to east. Colorado as a state has been taking a whipping on the subject of fiscal matters and the rural areas and the small towns get hurt the worst. And the roads are needing a little pothole repair, particularly Colo. 141 from Slick Rock to Naturita.

One more thing regarding travel. Reaching Norwood from the east is a trick. Coming up Norwood Hill? Well, in a bad storm keep your eyes peeled for rocks. It's an 8% grade for 2 miles, a fairly hefty climb. Colo. 145 is noted for that as there has been the same problem between Placerville and Sawpit as you're going into Telluride.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-14-2012 at 10:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 09:58 PM

177 posts, read 403,659 times
As they said the patient was in the Naturita area but have me in Norwood, I'm guessing I'll be coming from the west on my commute. I hope!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or