Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 05:04 PM

162 posts, read 303,169 times

Advertisements

Hello. I work from home so a place with a huge market is not needed. It's always been my dream to move to Colorado but looking for a nice town feel for a family? Anywhere west of Denver and the front range. Not Denver or points east. A town with beautiful scenery, nice school, low crime. A place without a bunch of self centered people. I hear that there are too many places in Colorado with that attitude, and that is not somewhere I would want to be. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 06:20 PM

352 posts, read 711,280 times
There was this TV show a long time ago when I lived in San Diego called "San Diego at Large". The host was a pretty funny guy. He did shows about this and that in the San Diego area. One was about this town just north and east of San Diego. I forget the name of it.

He interviewed the inhabitants and they said things like: no crime, no pollution, we leave our doors unlocked, our children play in the streets with no fear, everyone likes each other, full employment, it's just paradise up here!

The station was swamped with calls demanding to know where this town was because nobody could find it on a map and everyone wanted to move there. Finally the host admitted it was just a completely made up story about a fictional town.

So, to answer your question.......

Old 10-14-2012, 07:01 PM

40 posts, read 88,613 times
Evergreen

Old 10-14-2012, 07:08 PM

404 posts, read 901,642 times
Any of the mountain towns like Breckenridge for example

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note

Old 10-14-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushhournewb View Post
There was this TV show a long time ago when I lived in San Diego called "San Diego at Large". The host was a pretty funny guy. He did shows about this and that in the San Diego area. One was about this town just north and east of San Diego. I forget the name of it.

He interviewed the inhabitants and they said things like: no crime, no pollution, we leave our doors unlocked, our children play in the streets with no fear, everyone likes each other, full employment, it's just paradise up here!

The station was swamped with calls demanding to know where this town was because nobody could find it on a map and everyone wanted to move there. Finally the host admitted it was just a completely made up story about a fictional town.

So, to answer your question.......
Ha, so I guess you're saying it's difficult.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:16 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,968,186 times
Wink As varied

Price and the income to afford it will determine part of this choice. With serious money, one will have more options.

Somewhere in the middle might be a town such as Crestone. Not sure about the schooling, and it is remote, but surely low crime, a beautiful setting, and by and large anything but self-centered people. In fact, it is one of the most spiritual places in Colorado, being the chosen home of any number of different religious orders.

Choose one of the resort areas, such as Aspen or Breckenridge, and one will have not only high expense, and scenery, but also LOTS of the self-centered and shallow. It can be fun, but . . .

There are certainly other options. One might look to northwest Colorado, being by and large more cowboy for those so attuned.

Thus possibly back to the San Luis Valley. Aside from Crestone, there are towns such as Monte Vista; it is not as scenic, but near a lot of it, and one of the more down to earth places in the state. Or further to the west of that, and at the very edge of the mountains, South Fork, being picturesque but more popular with tourists. Just within that one valley there are a number of towns with different atmospheres. As microcosm it could serve as a good primer for the variances across this greater state. In what one truly wants?

Some of that will be expensive, although working remotely provides more options.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:42 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,600,059 times
Buena Vista is incredibly scenic. I've met lots of great people there and, yes it is very safe. I don't know anything about the schools, but if you like the outdoors, there are a lot of activties that the family can do together.

People are going to be people whether they are in a small town or big city. You just need to choose who your friends are.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:26 AM

352 posts, read 711,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny1964 View Post
Ha, so I guess you're saying it's difficult.
Just sayin'...

Old 10-15-2012, 09:33 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,662,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny1964 View Post
Hello. I work from home so a place with a huge market is not needed. It's always been my dream to move to Colorado but looking for a nice town feel for a family? Anywhere west of Denver and the front range. Not Denver or points east. A town with beautiful scenery, nice school, low crime. A place without a bunch of self centered people. I hear that there are too many places in Colorado with that attitude, and that is not somewhere I would want to be. Thank You.
I think it would be helpful if you provided a bit more information here. What size town are you looking for? What amenities can you not live without? What about weather? Budget? Does your partner need employment? What kind of activities do you do with your children? What are their needs?

There are plenty of nice towns/cities west of Denver, but it's really difficult to suggest places for you without knowing a bit more information.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:53 PM

I apologize for not adding in the key details of what i'm looking for. I'll start with the price range. I have a max budget of 950k and could possibly stretch that to 1m, not sure what that will get me, but I hope something decent. A medium sized town, not overwhelmingly crowded, but not totally isolated either. Amenities wise, There does not need to be a whole lot to do that's not really a factor but it would be a bonus. An active town would be nice. Climate, would like four seasons, with allot of snow during wintertime. My partner also works from home so employment and commute are not a factor. A nice area with nice people, not any of the "rich and snobby" towns I hear of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado