U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 06:45 AM

13,632 posts, read 21,483,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Can't stand it. if it weren't for the Broncos games, I would never step foot in Denver.
Yeah but unlike Colorado Springs, Denver isn't just traffic with no place to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 07:03 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,462,249 times
I'm 46 and from age 13 I grew up in Sterling which is located 125 miles northeast of Denver off of I-76.
When I turned 17 my friends and I would drive the two hours to Denver to go to Wax Trax located off of 13th ST downtown.

This was from 1984 until 1990.

We'd then go on to Southwest Plaza Mall or Cinderella City to just take in the big city life for a few hours before we had to make the trek back to Sterling.

We were into the Industrial/ alternative music scene and would also go to concerts at various venues like the Mercury Theater and the Ogden.

We never thought that a two hour one way trip was too much for what we were experiencing.
We would take this trip at least twice a month.
Those days are forever burned into my memory as some of the happiest most enjoyable days of my 46 years on this planet.

I have alot of memories and the emotions from them running rampant through my mind due to writing this so I'm going to go and enjoy them.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:13 AM

12,102 posts, read 20,344,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I'm 46 and from age 13 I grew up in Sterling which is located 125 miles northeast of Denver off of I-76.
When I turned 17 my friends and I would drive the two hours to Denver to go to Wax Trax located off of 13th ST downtown.

This was from 1984 until 1990.

We'd then go on to Southwest Plaza Mall or Cinderella City to just take in the big city life for a few hours before we had to make the trek back to Sterling.

We were into the Industrial/ alternative music scene and would also go to concerts at various venues like the Mercury Theater and the Ogden.

We never thought that a two hour one way trip was too much for what we were experiencing.
We would take this trip at least twice a month.
Those days are forever burned into my memory as some of the happiest most enjoyable days of my 46 years on this planet.

I have alot of memories and the emotions from them running rampant through my mind due to writing this so I'm going to go and enjoy them.
I'm 39 and I still do that Altough my taste in music is different as I just saw Madonna in concert and going to see Menphis today at the Buell. However I agree the 90 minute drive to Denver feels like a hop skip and a jump.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:40 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,447,829 times
rayanke9freak wrote: DK, jazz is right to a point. When I was a kid, I was taught to hate Texans from my parents, but I never knew why till I grew up.

Wether or not jazz is right to a point, hate is still hate, for whatever reason it is cultivated and vented. Hate is a disease that eats away the heart of the the person who does the hating...not the person(s) being hated. The Texans and Californians keep coming anyway, and the haters simply become more and more bitter over the years, blaming others for the unhappiness that they themselves have cultivated.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:00 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,196,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I am 39 and a 4th generation Coloadoan and I think Colorado has gained more then it has lost with the added population and transplants. So when you make statements like this you should use I statements as not all long time residents think the way you do.

Again I think Colorado has gained way more then it has lost.
I agree, Josseppie. I'm a 6th generation Coloradoan, although I don't live in the state anymore. However, I find that I enjoy returning to Denver more and more as I get older. It has so much more to offer than when I was younger (and I'm not old either...less than 40), and the city vibe is there without being too overwhelming. Sure, there are things I don't like about Denver, but the same can be said for most big cities. Would I choose to live there? I don't know. But, my family, long time "natives" of Colorado (and I say that term loosely here, as I don't really like it), love Denver and everything about it (well, maybe not the traffic). Sure, they remember the good old days, but they also remember the hardships of those good old days.

So, hating transplants and what they bring, really doesn't make sense. Unfortunately Denver was going to change whether people moved in or not. Personally, if my husband, a "native" Pennsylvanian (or whatever you call him, ha) never made the trek to Colorado, we wouldn't have met. So, I'm very thankful for that.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:50 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,784,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
rayanke9freak wrote: DK, jazz is right to a point. When I was a kid, I was taught to hate Texans from my parents, but I never knew why till I grew up.

Wether or not jazz is right to a point, hate is still hate, for whatever reason it is cultivated and vented. Hate is a disease that eats away the heart of the the person who does the hating...not the person(s) being hated. The Texans and Californians keep coming anyway, and the haters simply become more and more bitter over the years, blaming others for the unhappiness that they themselves have cultivated.
Wizard is an apt name for a man of such wisdom.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:11 AM

5,091 posts, read 13,163,320 times
People who dislike Denver tend to have opinions based on seeing Denver as a homogeneous mass without any differentiation of the parts. I see Denver as a mixed heterogeneous mix of different neighborhoods. These neighborhoods define a tapestry of differences that give The City of Denver appealing characteristics.

So, when people ask if I like Denver, I see in my mind the parts of the whole, not just the whole. My mind envisions the pleasures I get from Downtown and its varies parts of LoDo to Capital Hill. I talk about Berkeley, Highland and see them contributing to the varied eclectic characteristics of North Denver. Cherry Creek brings back pleasurable memories of strolling and shopping among the glitzy stores that remind me much of upscale areas of other cities. The University neighborhoods bring back memories of my own college days. Auraria to me is 9th Street Park and the smell, the odor and the patina of time that permeates parts of Denver. Five Points gives me the ambiance of parts of of cities I lived in the east in my younger years. I think back of pleasant experiences with Friends eating at Bonnie Brae Pizza and going across the street for Ice Cream in that neighborhood.

I find that many people define a larger city by the auto traffic. Of course, that would be case, if your whole experiences is driving to and driving through a city. However when you go on foot, you get to be part of the human traffic of the city and many people who appreciate cities thrive on this people traffic for the interaction and variability of the masses who create a diversity of exciting experiences. Without the concentration of differences, we are left with nothing but a sparse environment of the few; and with the few there is less to excite, challenge and motivate.

Livecontent

Old 10-21-2012, 05:38 PM

20 posts, read 61,126 times
I agree with new2colo: I don't really think much of Denver despite living in one of it's suburbs. My reasoning, however, is that I'm simply not a city person. The reason I moved here was to be near the outdoor activities and everything Colorado has to offer. Whether you like or dislike Denver really depends on your priorities and what you're looking for. I was just telling a friend from DC the other day that from my observation, most outsiders don't move to Colorado for Denver (like you would for NYC, for example), rather, they come here for the mountains, the weather, the activity, etc. For those reasons, I am never leaving.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:38 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,344,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Yeah but unlike Colorado Springs, Denver isn't just traffic with no place to go.
And Denver is not intolerant and has a downtown that is worth going too!

Old 10-21-2012, 08:24 PM

5,091 posts, read 13,163,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansan View Post
I agree with new2colo: I don't really think much of Denver despite living in one of it's suburbs. My reasoning, however, is that I'm simply not a city person. The reason I moved here was to be near the outdoor activities and everything Colorado has to offer. Whether you like or dislike Denver really depends on your priorities and what you're looking for. I was just telling a friend from DC the other day that from my observation, most outsiders don't move to Colorado for Denver (like you would for NYC, for example), rather, they come here for the mountains, the weather, the activity, etc. For those reasons, I am never leaving.

There are many areas of the country that have much better water resources, more lush and green vegetation and the mountains that offer much of the same recreational resources and some consider the Rockies as overrated and not on par with many other mountain areas with lush water and abundant vegetation. However, what this area has is a well functioning, growing, modern and progressive City.

Many more people come here because the area is prosperous and they can find a job. The area is a lure because there are monies generated that make well funded school systems and monies to build recreational, cultural, and sports amenities with open space, trails and parks. Much of this comes from the economic engine of Denver. Some may express the idea that they do not come here for Denver, but they are really coming here because of Denver. For, Denver is an excellent core city that makes this State an attractive place.

You may never visit Denver. You do not have to be a city person to have the advantages of a large powerful city. As an ex New Yorker, I can tell you that the power and influence of New York City is felt well beyond its borders. You may live in some of the other outlying areas but what those areas are, and what they will become are very very much dependent on Denver, a strong regional City of the Mountains and the Plains.

I can tell you as a City prospers, so does the region and as a city declines, the fall is felt in the areas that depend on its vitality--I give you Buffalo and Detroit as a good example. So, do not be so quick with a narrow vision and dismiss Denver as it makes all that you see and enjoy possible. You cannot eat the weather and the mountains will not pay your rent; for to enjoy these amenities requires a disposable income and when that income is gone, so will be many of the people.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-21-2012 at 08:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or