Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 07:46 PM

110 posts, read 376,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Lived for nearly 50 years in Colorado--Front Range, Western Slope, bigger cities, small towns, farm and ranch. Then to Wyoming. Currently back in Colorado on a temporary assignment. Worked in both public and private sectors. I currently work as a self-employed contractor (no, not construction) in a specialized field. I won't be more specific than that on a public forum. No kids.
One hopes that doesn't mean hitman. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 07:58 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraMoon View Post
One hopes that doesn't mean hitman. LOL
....or lounge singer....

Old 04-01-2008, 08:10 PM

110 posts, read 376,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kofixg View Post
Interesting question...i lived there off and on for 8 years and now live in New Mexico....one reason: the healthcare system is so overloaded if you do not have private insurance you are in for a mess (i made $8/hr and was not qualified for dental discounts in the Denver County Dental program, which took me 6 months to get into; i had an emergency need, my appt. was cancelled four times, on the last trip which i was scheduled for nitrous, my mom went to park the car b/c there was construction at the clinic and you could not park anywhere near, so she dropped me off, when i got in they said "you're ride is not here so we will not treat you"....i have a master's degree and went five months without a single temp assignment (sending out 50 resumes a week).... i moved to NM in 2005 and within three weeks my car broke down. I was on the side of the road for 10 minutes b/f a neighbor picked me up and drove me 10 miles home (and drove me to and from work for several days after that)...i know without a doubt that if i were in CO i would still be sitting on the side of the road 2 days later...
not to nix it totally, but it's a hard place to live if you do not have great resources and support.....
Your comments are of interest to me. I'm trying to decide between relocating to Colorado or to New Mexico. Santa Fe is probably too expensive, Las Cruces is too hot, and I hear mixed reviews about Albuquerque. Where in New Mexico do you live?

Old 04-02-2008, 01:44 AM

115 posts, read 322,358 times
Quote:
How do you people in Colorado view your situation? Do you feel the homes are over priced, jobs hard to find, people rude? Is the traffic bad? Do any of you long for a move out of the state? I ask these questions because I am looking to move to colorado and I am tired of all of the above where I am now. I visit my family in Colorado a few times a year and every time I come back I feel like you people in Colorado are very lucky to have what you have. I know that is a far reaching statment, but I can see myself doing what I do there and having a quarter of the home payment, half of the traffic, a few of the rude people, and I actually would be able to understand the person at the drive through.
I love Colorado! I moved here from North Carolina where I had more traffic - NC is basically a bunch of towns connected by I-85/40. I fell in love with Colorado and have stayed in a job I hate that pays well because I can't leave this state. I am going to have to for my sanity, but I know that I will cry my eyes out and I will be back! I think homes are overpriced between Broomfield and Boulder - I don't know anything about Denver. I live in Broomfield, on open space in a large home and I couldn't have bought it any cheaper in Raleigh unless I would have lived over 30 miles from downtown or RTP. Now, I would have gotten a much nicer home, bigger yard, and nicer decor in Raleigh for that price though. So, yes, I think homes are overpriced here for salaries. I was hopelessly bored in Raleigh - it was safe, sound, and BORING! I have lived in western NC, Charlotte, Birmingham, and all boring, boring. I love to be outside and Colorado just fits me to a T. I think the weather is wonderful except for a few months when I threaten to leave - December - February. But the SUN! The SUN is glorious. I have never lived anywhere with this much sunshine. I visited Montana for a possible move for grad school - it's much more green, but I don't think I could do the cold, grey, rain.

The main problem here to me is jobs. I have a job with a California-based company and am paid California wages - this is rare and probably won't last for me. Based on that, Colorado has been affordable for me. However, my hubby has struggled to find a job as a consultant and finds alot of resistance to outsiders, and I have heard lots of stories from others.

On being rude, this is one that I remarked on when I first came to Colorado in college in 1998. My sister-in-law is native to Wyoming but lives here in Denver. She speaks in snippits, with little emotion, but she is the most loving person you'll ever meet. When I met her, I told my husband/then-boyfriend "Man, people in Colorado are rude!" People in Colorado have less expression and little intonation in their voices. I am a southerner that thank goodness doesn't have an accent, but I miss that sing-songiness of southern accent and then other accents have some expression, albeit some are not good. People stick to themselves and don't bother you. I have noticed that. Maybe that's the cowboy way. How many people in Colorado have told me when I whined about the weather, etc. - "Cowboy Up, or Go Home!"

I love it here though, and if I could get rid of all the states between here and California, and pull it closer to the ocean and add more trees and green, it would be my favorite place on earth. California would be my ideal place to live if I was loaded and didn't have to drive anywhere or pay taxes. :-)

Old 04-06-2008, 10:08 PM

4 posts, read 38,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost heaven View Post
How do you people in Colorado view your situation? Do you feel the homes are over priced, jobs hard to find, people rude? Is the traffic bad? Do any of you long for a move out of the state? I ask these questions because I am looking to move to colorado and I am tired of all of the above where I am now. I visit my family in Colorado a few times a year and every time I come back I feel like you people in Colorado are very lucky to have what you have. I know that is a far reaching statment, but I can see myself doing what I do there and having a quarter of the home payment, half of the traffic, a few of the rude people, and I actually would be able to understand the person at the drive through.
I love Colorado. I am from WI, and there is not much to look at there...So CO has been a beautiful adventure. Houses are not over-priced in some areas, it depends on where you look. Vail and Aspen are not affordable, while most areas along the Front Range are. I've never had a hard time finding a job, and the people here are alright. The traffic can be bad at times. If you want to move here to ski, live in the mountains. There will be a traffic jam on i-70 every weekend to go skiing. If you get a job in Denver, live in Denver. The commute from surrounding cities is a headache. The main things that draw me to Colorado are the sun and the mountains. I think there are more happy people here in CO because of our 300+ days of sunshine a year.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:31 AM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMama924 View Post
I love Colorado. I am from WI, ... and CO has been a beautiful adventure. Houses are not over-priced in some areas - depends on where you look. ... I've never had a hard time finding a job ... people here are alright ... main things that draw me to Colorado are the sun and the mountains. I think there are more happy people here in CO because of our 300+ days of sunshine a year.
MM924, welcome to city-data and thanks for posting such good positive stuff.

We came here from the DC metro area, our story is in the COL SPGS forum, see index for link to "Why Choose Colorado Springs."

We love it here too, for all the same reasons you do, and more. Not totally perfect here, no place is, but in all of our research CO is best for us, and it seems for a lot of other people too.

s/Mike

Old 04-07-2008, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraMoon View Post
Your comments are of interest to me. I'm trying to decide between relocating to Colorado or to New Mexico. Santa Fe is probably too expensive, Las Cruces is too hot, and I hear mixed reviews about Albuquerque. Where in New Mexico do you live?
I live in Santa Fe. Which is expensive, (not sure if you are planning on renting or buying). I have survived by sharing with roommates (currently pay $500 a month to share a house, and finally found a roomie i get along great with) or living a bit out of town in one of SF's many "funky structures" (didn't have indoor plumbing for a year, beautiful place, great for a dog, but moved back to town). I do miss CO a bit (had a great little 1 bd in central denver for $450 in 2005). But don't entirely miss the traffic and the employment situation was very sketchy. Albuquerque is cheaper (can find a decent one bedroom for between $450 and $700, whereas a full one-bedroom (although there are lots of little casitas' in town, they go mainly by word of mouth) in Santa Fe Start at about $700-1000 with utilities. ABQ definitely has more contemporary city amenities, and some nice areas (Nob Hill, University District similar to Denver's)...just depends what you are looking for. An aside - the allergies can be very bad here. The air is very clear, but we have major allergens in the spring...if you didn't grow up here they can hit pretty hard. I will probably move b/c of that, not feeling great for 3-6 months is just too hard.
Socially, there feels to be more going on culturally in NM vs. Colorado, but that could be just me. I would suggest not moving to Santa Fe without a job lined up, unless you are planning on waitressing. There are alot of people here with 2 or 3 jobs just so they can stay here. Where are you moving from?

Old 04-07-2008, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 5,450 times
Default WEstern Slope?

Although rough around the edges Grand Junction has been a great move for our family. (school aged children). We love the outdoors and have a hard time choosing which activity to get in on a weekend. Last weekend I skied Snowmass-with NO traffic on the way home-on Saturday and went mountain biking on the Kokapelli Trails on Sunday. The housing costs are high for what you get and they are just now catching on to better style and quality in their building techniques but there is quite a bit on the market.
We love our downtown with restaurants and fun festivals in the summer, including a Farmer's Market every Thursday.
I drop the kids at school and ski Powderhorn for the day, getting home by 2:30.
This is a hidden gem. Disguised by it's "rough" exterior.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:21 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,561,766 times
Traffic? Haha I heard that alot try living in LA, NY, CHICAGO or DC. Traffic ain't bad here compared to other major cities at all. Honestly Colorado tops my chart but I don't plan on living here forever. Colorado is the 6th fastest growing State, and it's a great place to live, I just don't think it's a great place to raise kids if your kids are young or your newly wed. The suburbs are growing so fast, that it's suburbia hell, ask yourself that if you've ever got lost in a cookie cutter community,that's what I'm talking about.

And housing prices even at Fort Collins are $250,000 today; we talk about the great outdoors so much but if your in the middle income bracket with mom and pop working, kids grow up in the suburbs like every major city and one really gets out less when they get preoccupied with work, the Rockies are only a backdrop. I think Colorado is a perfect place for college students, young professionals getting started, the rich and the retiree. If you fall somewhere in between, keep in mind that with everyone moving in, and I have no objection to that, we're a very mobile society today, but it's a short couple years before Colorado Natives start putting bumper sticker that says "Moving Out".

Old 04-11-2008, 10:23 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,341,268 times
I live in Colorado Springs, and yes, the traffic is horrific sometimes, but at least I have things to look at while i'm stuck.

I LOVE this state, there's so much to see and explore. IT's neverending, and I wouldn't trade i for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado