U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 05:35 PM

12,106 posts, read 20,415,686 times

Advertisements

I really like Pueblo and its size is about what you are asking about, however, I will admit its hard to meet people here compared to places like Colorado Springs and Denver due to the lack of population. There is a lot to do here as downtown is fun and we have a lot of fairs/ events and its a nice urban/ rural mix all in one county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 05:45 PM

734 posts, read 1,410,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I really like Pueblo and its size is about what you are asking about, however, I will admit its hard to meet people here compared to places like Colorado Springs and Denver due to the lack of population. There is a lot to do here as downtown is fun and we have a lot of fairs/ events and its a nice urban/ rural mix all in one county.
What's it like crime wise? I saw that's it's above the national average. What do you think?

Old 10-20-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
What's it like crime wise? I saw that's it's above the national average. What do you think?
I will be completely honest. I do not think that any city or town is worth living in if you feel unsafe.

As far as Pueblo. I am a openly gay male and I have NEVER had a issue living here. Now there are certain sides of town I would not live in (the lower east side and a area called Bessemer) however even those areas I have no problem going in to shop and eat out or visit friends so its not as bad as the bad areas in the large metro areas. I go to the festivals, fairs and have some adult beverages and walk around downtown at night and never feel unsafe. Pueblo has a live and let live mentality something that many larger cities lack.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:29 PM

2,859 posts, read 4,717,408 times
I think based on what you've shared it might boil down to a feeling of what suits you the best during a visit. You could easily visit all three cities you mentioned (and more in between) on a long weekend visit.

Louisville, Lafayette, Superior, Westminster, Broomfield are all in between Boulder and Denver (too many Walgreens to count in these areas) and would still provide really decent access to hiking in the foothills and beyond while offering up social opportunities in both Denver and Boulder.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:18 AM

21 posts, read 31,791 times
I vote for Fort Collins. The biggest challenge to living in Fort Collins is finding a job; but if you have that taken care of, you're better off than most. The population is a bit outside of your range, but FC doesn't seem like a big city. It is a college town, so it does have a lot of young people, but not all of the young people are associated with the college. It would be very easy to mix with people in your age-range who also share your interests. Just about anywhere you go in Colorado, people love the outdoors.

If you look at FC on a map, you'll see that a lot of state parks lay just west of the city. There's a lot of accessible outdoors activities. Rent is also very affordable in FC. The prices especially come down if you live a bit further from the college, in the southern part of town. But since FC isn't really that big, it's not an inconvenience to live further away from Old Town.

It seems that FC has just about everything you're looking for except for the smaller population.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:17 AM

3,108 posts, read 4,687,336 times
One thing worth mentioning is that many of these towns blend into the next town. The Front Range has quite a bit of urban sprawl, so Ft. Collins blends in Loveland where there will be a little open space before you hit Longmont which blends into Niwot which blends into Boulder, which blends into Broomfield, which is contiguous to the Denver Metro area that runs all the way down to Castle Rock. There is some non-inhabited area before you get to Monument, but it is pretty much all sprawl through Colorado Springs all the way to Fountain.

My point is this: No city on the Front Range exists in a vacuum. Don't get hung up on city size, because the next city is just a few miles over, and is likely connected to the city you're in.

One option for cheaper rents and more (not total) isolation is Greeley. It is an agricultural city on the plains and it has the University of Northern Colorado. It is a lot more like Kansas and a lot less like your stereotypical Colorado city.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:27 AM

Even Greeley is not as isloated anymore as its part of the tri cities (Fort Collins, Loveland, Greeley) and Weld county is part of the Denver CSA. Pueblo is the one exception and that is one reason I love it here. I'm close to Denver but we are the only large city in the county with rural and farm land around us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or