U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 07:09 PM

734 posts, read 1,403,246 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Eastern, Kansas and working for Walgreens. I enjoy the company, but I'm not too happy at the store I'm at, so I've thought about transferring somewhere else in May. I've done a bit of research and it appears that several cities along Interstate 25 in Colorado rank as one of the best places to live...some including Castle Rock, Fort Collins and Boulder. I'm currently in my mid 20s and would be moving by myself. I don't require a city that has tons of bars or clubs as I'm not interested in those. I basically enjoy the outdoors...hiking being my main enjoyment. I'd prefer a city that is generally safe, with a wide variety of affordable apartments seeings how I'd prefer an apartment over a house. I'd prefer a mid sized city with a population between 30,000 and 95,000. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks! If you have any questions about anything else I prefer, feel free to ask.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 07:20 PM

2,857 posts, read 4,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
I'm currently living in Eastern, Kansas and working for Walgreens. I enjoy the company, but I'm not too happy at the store I'm at, so I've thought about transferring somewhere else in May. I've done a bit of research and it appears that several cities along Interstate 25 in Colorado rank as one of the best places to live...some including Castle Rock, Fort Collins and Boulder. I'm currently in my mid 20s and would be moving by myself. I don't require a city that has tons of bars or clubs as I'm not interested in those. I basically enjoy the outdoors...hiking being my main enjoyment. I'd prefer a city that is generally safe, with a wide variety of apartments seeings how I'd prefer an apartment over a house. I'd prefer a mid sized city with a population between 30,000 and 95,000. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks! If you have any questions about anything else I prefer, feel free to ask.
Sounds good. What about housing? How much are you looking to spend on rent?

Are you okay being in an area that may be primarily families? Aside from bars etc. would you prefer to be an area with others in your age range?

Hiking: is access to hiking within walking distance or very short car ride important?

Old 10-19-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Sounds good. What about housing? How much are you looking to spend on rent?

Are you okay being in an area that may be primarily families? Aside from bars etc. would you prefer to be an area with others in your age range?

Hiking: is access to hiking within walking distance or very short car ride important?
I guess it really depends on how much I'd be making. What are some of the cities around there that have a lower living rate?

Being in an area primarily for families would be okay, however I'd also prefer to be somewhere with people within my age range.

Distance to hiking wouldn't be an issue. I'd be fine with having to take a drive.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:08 PM

3,605 posts, read 4,864,224 times
Also is that population range you specified the actual city population or the "urban area" population ?

Example, Grand Junction city limits have population of 58,000 which is within your range but the us census urban area has a population of 128,000 which is bigger than what you specified.

Incidentally, Boulder's population is 98,000 and Fort Collins population is 147,000, and housing in Boulder is expensive.

Of the 3 cities you mentioned, Castle Rock could be the best for you. Boulder is likely too expensive and pretentious. I love Fort Collins, but it is a bit bigger than your range, and is growing rapidly. Also, I don't know how nice college towns are for 20 somethings who want to meet people their age. Grand Junction, Longmont, Louisville, Lafayette, and Loveland are cities I might consider also.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Also is that population range you specified the actual city population or the "urban area" population ?

Example, Grand Junction city limits have population of 58,000 which is within your range but the us census urban area has a population of 128,000 which is bigger than what you specified.

Incidentally, Boulder's population is 98,000 and Fort Collins population is 147,000, and housing in Boulder is expensive.

Of the 3 cities you mentioned, Castle Rock could be the best for you. Boulder is likely too expensive and pretentious. I love Fort Collins, but it is a bit bigger than your range, and is growing rapidly. Also, I don't know how nice college towns are for 20 somethings who want to meet people their age. Grand Junction, Longmont, Louisville, Lafayette, and Loveland are cities I might consider also.
Population isn't a big deal for me. I just don't want something too small seeings how I'd like to meet people. The bigger the better, but usually the bigger cities are more expensive. I'll check out those others cities you mentioned.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Population isn't a big deal for me. I just don't want something too small seeings how I'd like to meet people. The bigger the better, but usually the bigger cities are more expensive. I'll check out those others cities you mentioned.
In Fort Collins, most of the 20-somethings are probably graduate students at CSU. I don't know that the social life for 20 somethings is all that great there. I don't know that it isn't, but I'm thinking other places may be better. I don't think the cost of living in Denver metro is all that bad. Boulder is way worse. So I wouldn't discount Denver metro. The social life is probably better in Denver metro than in anywhere else in Colorado.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:22 AM

352 posts, read 564,163 times
Limon.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushhournewb View Post
Limon.
Limon doesn't even have anything do they? It's a small town with likely no apartments and no jobs.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:27 PM

20,308 posts, read 37,797,930 times
"Limon" is the "you've been punked" reply....it's in the middle of nowhere out on the plains.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Limon doesn't even have anything do they? It's a small town with likely no apartments and no jobs.
The prison's got to be the biggest employer there. Yeah, nothing to do in Limon except hunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or