Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 11:40 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,423,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
While I'm sure jazz wouldn't care if he (the OP) thinks all Coloradans are awful, but is this the impression the rest of us want to give?
Not being "awful," just echoing the Terms of Service of the forum, to wit (my empahsis added in bold):

Quote:
Please use the Search this Forum tool to find info you need, as much has already been written about schools, jobs, weather, crime, prices, rentals, walkability and other aspects of a location. If you don't find it, please sign in and ask your questions. New users should use the Search this Forum tool before posting a question that may have already been answered. Let us know that you have searched the forums, so we don't assume otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 01:24 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
^^Well, then, this part of your post was entirely unnecessary:

Quote:
Clearly, the OP does not understand Colorado demographics--. . . . Much of his "want list" is contradictory in Colorado. He says he wants a friendly, small community, but one that's "big" and good for a family. Huh? I've posted endlessly about Colorado's festering fiscal problems that are going to negatively affect primary, secondary, and higher education in this state for many years to come. . . . . Colorado, overall, is one of the most automobile-dependent states in the US.
We know you have an agenda, jazz, the OP doesn't.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:00 PM

26,162 posts, read 48,881,878 times
People post here all the time with wish lists that are contradictory from a little to a lot to impossible to satisfy in ALL respects. Nothing new for a city-data posting.

I just did a search on padmapper.com for COLO SPGS for rentals at $1200 max, with 3BRs and 2BAs and got a TON of hits. Nothing wrong with a TH in Briargate or a SFH in Stetson Hills or a SFH in Fountain, CO

A search on ppar.com found over 100 rentals in the COLO SPGS area that are SFHs, with a minimum of 3BRs and 2BAs.

FWIW: PPAR is a more reliable source than paddmapper.com

COLO SPGS is small enough compared to Denver, has a great JUCO system (PPCC), and is near Fort Carson for the PX and Commissary aspects.

If it works for 50,000 active duty soldiers here, it can work for our OP. Some of the outskirts of COLO SPGS fit the small town aspects, but if you can live in the main area then you are a lot closer to the things you want and to the best schools.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:49 PM

307 posts, read 978,699 times
I don't know about school districts but Loveland seems to fit into most of what the OP said? At $1,200 rent, Fort Collins would be very difficult I think. But maybe not if you dig in for the long haul in searching. FoCo certainly would fit into alot of the needs mentioned as well. Good Luck!

Old 10-22-2012, 06:19 PM

163 posts, read 423,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Clearly, the OP does not understand Colorado demographics--though a zillion posts on this site detail that pretty clearly. Much of his "want list" is contradictory in Colorado. He says he wants a friendly, small community, but one that's "big" and good for a family. Huh? I've posted endlessly about Colorado's festering fiscal problems that are going to negatively affect primary, secondary, and higher education in this state for many years to come. A search on this site would have found all of that, too. Colorado, overall, is one of the most automobile-dependent states in the US. Apparently, he missed all of the posts over the years about that, as well. Does anyone have the capacity to do a little basic research, anymore?
Man brother you got some pent up frustration, I read in I believe it was Outside mag that Colorado had some of the more bike friendly communities in the US, not my statment Outside Mag's. As for research well it was quicker I felt to ask those who actually live there and questions that were more specific to what I was looking for.

When I ref BIG I was meaning a community that's big on family not size sorry to those since I wasn't clear on that one point.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Hey guys, can't we be a little nicer to this person asking for information? While I'm sure jazz wouldn't care if he (the OP) thinks all Coloradans are awful, but is this the impression the rest of us want to give?
Hey Katiana;
Thank you and while a few bad apples can ruin the bunch in this case I'd already made my educated decision on making Colorado my home back in Oct 2010 after visiting Dever a couple of weeks at Diff points in the year. As I stated I relocated there in Feb 2011 my mother took ill and needed in home care and as a former RN I moved back home only after living in Colorado (Broomfield) for about a month.

I since got married and will be returning to Co, when I last came out I researched for a single man and it was just for myself. Well obviously my situation has changed and trying to learn from those who live or have lived throughout the Colorado region and maybe from some family folks what areas would be best suited for families.

The areas we've researched are Fort Collins, Broomfield, Colorado Springs and surrounding areas. I guess in some instances I should've been more clear, ie when I say we want small town feel w/ big city options, in other words we'd like to live in a smaller town w/ that closely fits the things we desire and has a big city near by. We come from the largest city in the US so we'd like to down size a bit land wise.

Again I've been on and off this board for years I don't take to much to heart from those who come across bitter or bent at life, they kinda stick out, and usually in their verbage you can tell they either don't wat anyone moving to "THEIR" town/city/state, funny thing is I'd never do it to them I'd give them my honest opinion and my feel for area backed by studies or research to back my point.

Again no worries and thanks!

Old 10-22-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Not being "awful," just echoing the Terms of Service of the forum, to wit (my empahsis added in bold):
Also JAZZ some information can be out dated as well and things can change pretty quickly. For instance Fort Collins was #1, #7, a few years running on Forbes for best place to live, now it's like 70th what's really changed there in a few years??? Either a heck of a lot or nothing at all.

PLus I was wanting my specific question answered, if this were to be simply a question and ans board then it should become a FAQ board and no one need to correspond furhter.

Thanks for your friendly advice and FYI search feature didn't really turn up what I was looking for thank!

Old 10-22-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
People post here all the time with wish lists that are contradictory from a little to a lot to impossible to satisfy in ALL respects. Nothing new for a city-data posting.

I just did a search on padmapper.com for COLO SPGS for rentals at $1200 max, with 3BRs and 2BAs and got a TON of hits. Nothing wrong with a TH in Briargate or a SFH in Stetson Hills or a SFH in Fountain, CO

A search on ppar.com found over 100 rentals in the COLO SPGS area that are SFHs, with a minimum of 3BRs and 2BAs.

FWIW: PPAR is a more reliable source than paddmapper.com

COLO SPGS is small enough compared to Denver, has a great JUCO system (PPCC), and is near Fort Carson for the PX and Commissary aspects.

If it works for 50,000 active duty soldiers here, it can work for our OP. Some of the outskirts of COLO SPGS fit the small town aspects, but if you can live in the main area then you are a lot closer to the things you want and to the best schools.
Hey thanks Mike;
We felt 1200 was a good starting point as when we looked in areas like Colo Springs and Broomfield, and Fort Collins there were plenty of rental apt's and homes alike for our starting point. This was we can save to build our home.

Thanks

Old 10-22-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
I don't know about school districts but Loveland seems to fit into most of what the OP said? At $1,200 rent, Fort Collins would be very difficult I think. But maybe not if you dig in for the long haul in searching. FoCo certainly would fit into alot of the needs mentioned as well. Good Luck!
Thanks we've actually been looking a lot at FoCo currently it's between FoCo's it's outlying towns or near Broomfield, reason being as we can expect a better chance of more snow in Winter months per weather info.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:47 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,423,158 times
You can dismiss me as cranky, but I probably know more about Colorado's economy and demographics than most people on this forum. I've lived in the Rocky Mountain region all of my life, researched and studied the same as part of my work for decades, and have business and governmental contacts in literally every county of the state. Yes, I tend to be blunt--it sometimes seems to be the only way to get a point across to people blinded by dreams rather than reality.

As for those magazine ratings, I pretty much dismiss them. Often as not, they are written by idiot journalists who likely have never even visited the places that they rate and write about. If they have visited them, it is usually only a cursory visit of a few days. I have regularly had to deal with the media for decades, and the quality of journalism in this country is nothing short of pathetic these days.

There are plenty of posters on this forum full of the "Go ahead, move here, you'll love it" line. If that's all you want to read--to validate a decision that you've already made--then ignore my posts and read the fluff. On the other hand, it you want a little dose of reality to go with that, then you might read some of mine. I'm frequently misjudged as a pessimist--not so--I'm a realist. There's a big difference. Unfortunately, reality is a harsh mistress--especially for those who refuse to listen to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado