U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 04:05 PM

307 posts, read 831,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by docryan View Post
Thanks we've actually been looking a lot at FoCo currently it's between FoCo's it's outlying towns or near Broomfield, reason being as we can expect a better chance of more snow in Winter months per weather info.
If you want a suburb environment, then Broomfield would suit. I don't like suburbs. Fort Collins, Loveland, are their own city with a core family environment. My impression of Broomfield is a heavily trafficed, Metro suburb indeed. If you want to be closer ot the metro area but still want a smaller, close-knit, family community, try Louisville. Very nice town. But much smaller than FoCo or Loveland. Very Charming town. I go there often for business. However, I really feel based on your desires, that northern CO would suit the best for you.

I've been in Fort Collins for two winters. I am not sure what type of Winter you are looking for, durantion, and severety but the last two winters in Fort Collins have not been anything more than moderate winters in my opinion. But I am coparing it to Midwest winters that I have lived through. I am not an expert on CO winters but I am told that the metro area receives more snow and cold than does the Fort Collins area. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

You might want to check into that. If I can recall correctly it does seem to be true. But am not positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 04:14 PM

3,794 posts, read 3,984,910 times
"Town/City with very friendly population where people seem to know one another"

It all depends on your effort and standards.

But in general I don't think a lot of people will find this strongly in places over 25.000 population, relatively new or quite near larger metros.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:01 PM

163 posts, read 334,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
You can dismiss me as cranky, but I probably know more about Colorado's economy and demographics than most people on this forum. I've lived in the Rocky Mountain region all of my life, researched and studied the same as part of my work for decades, and have business and governmental contacts in literally every county of the state. Yes, I tend to be blunt--it sometimes seems to be the only way to get a point across to people blinded by dreams rather than reality.

As for those magazine ratings, I pretty much dismiss them. Often as not, they are written by idiot journalists who likely have never even visited the places that they rate and write about. If they have visited them, it is usually only a cursory visit of a few days. I have regularly had to deal with the media for decades, and the quality of journalism in this country is nothing short of pathetic these days.

There are plenty of posters on this forum full of the "Go ahead, move here, you'll love it" line. If that's all you want to read--to validate a decision that you've already made--then ignore my posts and read the fluff. On the other hand, it you want a little dose of reality to go with that, then you might read some of mine. I'm frequently misjudged as a pessimist--not so--I'm a realist. There's a big difference. Unfortunately, reality is a harsh mistress--especially for those who refuse to listen to her.
No my friend it's your delivery u need to work on!! I did my home work a few years ago and came away w/ Colorado, SLC, and MN as the top 3 places in the US whose economies were doing well since and thru the recession as well as seen to grow at a steady rate.
Those #'s don't come from magazine journalists but Govt & State #'s, if you feel they to are some how a misrepresentation of what you feel is the truth then I don't know what to tell you. I am a realist and while some of what you write can be seen as a realists view, most of your comments and blurbs come across as coming from a bitter unhappy place.

Not looking for fluff just looking to get ans & opinions towards my questions which u didn't provide, u just went on a rant about stuff I didn't really ask.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
If you want a suburb environment, then Broomfield would suit. I don't like suburbs. Fort Collins, Loveland, are their own city with a core family environment. My impression of Broomfield is a heavily trafficed, Metro suburb indeed. If you want to be closer ot the metro area but still want a smaller, close-knit, family community, try Louisville. Very nice town. But much smaller than FoCo or Loveland. Very Charming town. I go there often for business. However, I really feel based on your desires, that northern CO would suit the best for you.

I've been in Fort Collins for two winters. I am not sure what type of Winter you are looking for, durantion, and severety but the last two winters in Fort Collins have not been anything more than moderate winters in my opinion. But I am coparing it to Midwest winters that I have lived through. I am not an expert on CO winters but I am told that the metro area receives more snow and cold than does the Fort Collins area. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

You might want to check into that. If I can recall correctly it does seem to be true. But am not positive.
Thanks from the research my wifes done were apparently leaning that way towards N. Colo. I lived in Broomfield already so I've got a good idea what the areas like.

As far as weather goes were looking for all the distinct seasons, while my wife would rather a mild winter I'd like the occassional blizzard, for me winter is just that winter and it should snow, now Im not saying every day. Also I've got medical conditions that sorely require a cooler milder non humid climate.

Ill tell the wife to look at the Louisville & Loveland areas ASAP! Thank U so much!

Old 10-24-2012, 07:29 AM

86,878 posts, read 102,269,915 times
I've always been such a Louisville "cheerleader" I sometimes like to keep quiet about it anymore, but I think you'd like Louisville, from your criteria.

The weather all along the Front Range is similar. Snowfalls do vary, but they're all within a range, e.g. it won't snow a foot in Boulder and two inches in Denver (usually). The winter in general here can be fairly sunny with temps in the 50s or so.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:42 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,777,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docryan View Post
Thanks from the research my wifes done were apparently leaning that way towards N. Colo. I lived in Broomfield already so I've got a good idea what the areas like.

As far as weather goes were looking for all the distinct seasons, while my wife would rather a mild winter I'd like the occasional blizzard, for me winter is just that winter and it should snow, now Im not saying every day. Also I've got medical conditions that sorely require a cooler milder non humid climate.

Ill tell the wife to look at the Louisville & Loveland areas ASAP! Thank U so much!
Not to burst your bubble more, but the lower elevations of the Front Range can and do get a fair number of relatively hot (over 90) days in the summer. Admittedly, those usually come with lower humidity than most places and with usually cool nights. Still, if hot weather bothers you, you won't escape a dose of it on the Front Range. And, the diurnal (day to night) temperature variation can be quite large--for people with sensitivity to temperature--hot or cold--that can be a problem. Contrary to popular belief, the Colorado climate is not "mild" in the sense of, say, a California climate. The weather can be capricious, quickly changeable, and sometimes quite violent. The Front Range, for example, is part of "Hail Alley," the most hail-prone location in the United States. If you don't experience that firsthand, you sure will know about it when you get your first house insurance and auto insurance bill.

As for snowfall, the climate averages are deceiving. Both Fort Collins and Denver get around 60" of snow per year, but the predominant winter color is brown. Along all of the Front Range, snows come and then are usually quickly melted by Chinook winds. The biggest snow months are March and April, not in the depths of winter. As to those Chinook winds, they can be severe along the Front Range, particularly from Boulder northward to Fort Collins and Cheyenne, Wyoming. Bouts of sustained winds of 40 mph plus are not uncommon in winter and spring, with gusts sometimes exceeding 100 mph. If you don't like wind, the Front Range, especially the northern Front Range of Colorado and southern Wyoming is not for you.

As the last year+ has shown, drought is also a frequent visitor to Colorado.

Finally, I really don't care about what anyone's opinion about my "attitude" is. I'm fine with my demeanor. If someone else doesn't like it, that is their problem, not mine.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Not to burst your bubble more, but the lower elevations of the Front Range can and do get a fair number of relatively hot (over 90) days in the summer. Admittedly, those usually come with lower humidity than most places and with usually cool nights. Still, if hot weather bothers you, you won't escape a dose of it on the Front Range. And, the diurnal (day to night) temperature variation can be quite large--for people with sensitivity to temperature--hot or cold--that can be a problem. Contrary to popular belief, the Colorado climate is not "mild" in the sense of, say, a California climate. The weather can be capricious, quickly changeable, and sometimes quite violent. The Front Range, for example, is part of "Hail Alley," the most hail-prone location in the United States. If you don't experience that firsthand, you sure will know about it when you get your first house insurance and auto insurance bill.

As for snowfall, the climate averages are deceiving. Both Fort Collins and Denver get around 60" of snow per year, but the predominant winter color is brown. Along all of the Front Range, snows come and then are usually quickly melted by Chinook winds. The biggest snow months are March and April, not in the depths of winter. As to those Chinook winds, they can be severe along the Front Range, particularly from Boulder northward to Fort Collins and Cheyenne, Wyoming. Bouts of sustained winds of 40 mph plus are not uncommon in winter and spring, with gusts sometimes exceeding 100 mph. If you don't like wind, the Front Range, especially the northern Front Range of Colorado and southern Wyoming is not for you.

As the last year+ has shown, drought is also a frequent visitor to Colorado.

Finally, I really don't care about what anyone's opinion about my "attitude" is. I'm fine with my demeanor. If someone else doesn't like it, that is their problem, not mine.
THANK YOU FOR THE WEATHER/CLIMATE EDUCATION OF COLORADO'S FRONT RANGE! AGAIN YOU NEITHER ADDRESSED NOR ANSWERED ANY OF MY QUESTIONS, AS ANOTHER POSTER STATED YOUR POSTS ARE FLAGARANT AND YOU COME ACROSS AS SOMEONE W/ AN AGENDA.

While doing my research some years ago I came across others such as your self in other States and Cities who sound just like you do, you come across not as informative but like someone who truly wants no one else to move to "THEIR" state/town/municipality. As I already stated previously Colorado fit exactly what I was looking for I've already made the choice to move there, however I did my previous research based off being a single man not one w/ a family so all that changes possibly are the locations that may be more suitable for singles vs families which is what I was basically asking, and you again failed to touch on anything I asked.

I really didn't need a lesson in climatology, Im not looking for being snowed in for the Winters 30-60 inches of snow a year for someone whos mostly used to 0 qualifies as snow snow snow in my book. Instead you again come across more so telling someone your bursting there buble as if I expect a Utopic views from everyone, I only expect the truth and or honesty w/ answers to questions I put forth which as I said once again, I first got a financial lesson on fiscal issues in Colorado and now climate change.

Again we've already chosen Colorado as our home we were looking for ans to specific questions, this isn't the inital stages on determining if we'd like to move it's the final stages.

I hope you find happiness and peace my friend

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-26-2012 at 11:02 AM..

Old 10-29-2012, 10:23 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,932,778 times
Jazz.

Thank you for your polite and honest opinions. It is a pleasure to see someone correctly use words like diurnal. You may get some flack for pointing out when people are not basing their views on reality, but harsh honesty is good medicine. It may not be what the OP was looking for, but I found your posts helpful as I try to learn more about the state.

P.S. I currently live in CS, and I love it. I came here with a clear understanding what to expect, and what not to expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or