Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 09:42 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times

Advertisements

Don't take anyone's word for it. This isnt' meant to be a bash on anyone, I just keep seeing these same tired posts over and over (and espcially when we have a search function, it's unecessary).

Here's the thing, Colorado is one of those states where you fall in love instantly, or you hate it with every fiber of your being. You're gonna be one or the other, and nobody can convince you otherwise until you experience it for yourself. If you wanna know what Denver is like, get on a plane and go vist for a few days. Wanna see if Colorado Springs is as conservative as people say it is? Spend a week there. See for yourself, and make the decision based on what YOU think is best for you.

Contrary to what some people would lead you to believe, you're welcome here, bring your dog, your husband, kids and your money. Just don't EVER come here and complain that it's not like where you came from, because if it were that much better, you'd still be living there, right?

This isn't the lush, green east, we don't have natural kentucky Bluegrass and deciduous trees (unless someone planted them) WE don't have much water. But beauty is in the eye of beholder. What we Do have, is awe enspiring natural scenery, limitless outdoor opportunnities (sp?), no fleas, very little to no mosqitoes, no humidity, tons of sunshine, I could go on forever.

Is it for everyone, no of course not. My ex wife absolutley hated it here, cause she was a spoiled rotten brat from connecticut that demanded lush green rolling hills and hardwood forests, something that Colorado simply can't provide, so if that's what you want, look elsewhere, you wont be happy.

All things considered (except for some ridiculous taxes and fees here), I love this state, and wouldn't think of living somewhere else. Stay for awhile, and I hope you come to the same conclusion.

/Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 09:39 AM

486 posts, read 1,496,918 times
Colorado doesn't have fleas? What?
Then why does my vet insist I waste my money on Frontline for Fido?

Old 07-15-2012, 11:19 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Very little to no moqsuitoes? You obviously haven't been to Delta County or on top of the Grand Mesa.

I've only lived here, on the western slope, for 3 years, and by no means an expert on all things Colorado, but it's funny to me now to see all these "I want to move to Colorado because..." threads. It seems there's a romance, a mystery, a longing for and I put this in quotes for a reason, "Colorado". Oh give me a view of the mountains, a nice home on some land, good schools, no crime, fresh air, several acres, a nearby "lake", all for under $100,000. Oh and a well paying steady job too. Uh huh.

Anyway good luck to those wanting to move here. I love it, well I will once I move back to Ouray County, which to me is paradise.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:05 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
There are plenty of mozzies about in Colorado. Most unexpectedly have been attacked in swarms at high elevations up around 10,000 or 11,000 feet. I'll also never forget one time being around Gunnison and the reservoir near the Black Canyon in August and having to stop to wash the car cause you couldn't see from all the bug splatter. In Vail, in the summer, I remember around town it usually wasn't too bad, but in the evening if we were outside of town at all, bugs and mozzies could be a pain. I definitely would have some bug spray handing when hiking in CO.

I don't think it is as bad as other states, but Colorado definitely has bugs and depending on what micro climate or elevation you are at, there always seems to be a few weeks a year where they are a pain.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:09 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Regarding Fido, in a word, ticks.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:55 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,375,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Regarding Fido, in a word, ticks.
And qutie a few I might add. I HAVE seen mosquitos here, but you have to go into the mountains to find them. I've been in Colorado Springs for 13 years total, and I have yet to see one in the city. I used to live in Ohio, and the fleas would damn near carry my poor dog away, but since I've been in Colorado, I have yet to see a single flea on him anywhere, soemthing I'm sure he appreciates.

I do keep flea medication on him though, because it works on ticks as well. I pulled one off his eyelid a few months ago when I was home on R&R.

I encourage everyone I know to move here, it would be great if all my friends and family from Ohio would just abondon the state and move here.

As the population of Colorado grows, we will have to adapt, even if that includes moving out to the plains in droves, I'd prefer that over settling in the mountains. This all hinges however, on our ability to maintain an adequate water supply.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:07 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,746,694 times
There are plenty of mosquitos outside of colorado Springs, especially in northern and eastern Colorado

Old 07-16-2012, 08:39 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
About the only areas of Colorado that don't have significant mosquito problems are the immediate municipal areas where regular spraying of insecticides to kill them occurs during the warm months. Anyplace else where than can be standing water is a warm season breeding ground for mosquitoes. Some places are worse than others and some years are worse than others, but to say that Colorado does not have mosquitoes is ludicrous. By the way, this year both Delta County and Weld County have tested positive for mosquitoes carrying the dangerous West Nile virus.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:32 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
I can't remember living anywhere that didn't have mosquitos. With regard to mosquitos, Colorado is in the middle of the pack. Certainly not as in your face as Alaska, British Columbia, or Maine, but up on the Gand Mesa, the mosquitos are plentiful enough to get my attention, though not quite as bad this year...so far.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:05 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
I agree with the OP Colorado is the best place to live in the nation with the best climate with some of the best skiing in the world with great cities on the front range from Pueblo to Fort Collins yet we have some great rural areas and mountain towns. I would not live anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado