U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 02:52 PM

178 posts, read 486,609 times

Advertisements

Gunnison/Montrose/Grand Junction - not bad towns, but they are isolated (the people there don't think so, but they don't know any better.
Read more: Best Place to Live in CO

Steer clear of Montrose: We're just a bunch of barefoot hillbillies drinkin beers or drivin ole pickup trucks with hound dogs in the back on the way to some far right church down next to the liquor stores by the bars where there are always piles of beer bottles in the road and crowds of rednecks shootin guns in the air next to trailer parks with all them dirt roads and people that don't know no better....

I have been to at least a dozen foreign countries and spent some time with relatives in a large European city and I would take Montrose any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 03:08 PM

2,590 posts, read 5,978,006 times
Best place to live in Colorado?

Get an offer for your dream job, in Colorado. Find a place to live nearby, walking or biking distance, or close by public transportation. You now have *your* best place to live in Colorado.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:27 PM

67 posts, read 113,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Best place to live in Colorado?

Get an offer for your dream job, in Colorado. Find a place to live nearby, walking or biking distance, or close by public transportation. You now have *your* best place to live in Colorado.
Know of any job opportunities?

Old 09-28-2013, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,301 times
Default Truth

This guy(nyccoman) is pretty spot on with his assessment on Colorado, However, it is a great place and I plan to retire there in a few more years. As long as your close to Denver area and yes west of I25 you should be good. Denver Broncos fans are great! there are a lot of strip malls and Marijuana shops lately all over but its still a beautiful and a fun place to live. Very, very close to ski location! Not as chap as Texas and way less expensive than Cali and NY.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:04 PM

811 posts, read 1,221,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Nyccoman's post is accurate.
Except I live in "south" Colorado Springs (SW to be exact) and as far as I can tell it looks nothing whatsoever like what he describes. My neighbors are nearly all wealthy highly educated professionals. The school district is the highest ranked in Colorado, routinely winning all the golf/tennis state titles, and other "country club" sports. My spouse and I are Christian and as such are without a doubt among the minority in our local peer group. Nyccoman's post is so far off reality its almost comical. Decent recitation of very very broad stereotypes though. I'll give it that.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:12 PM

20,812 posts, read 38,983,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Except I live in "south" Colorado Springs (SW to be exact) and as far as I can tell it looks nothing whatsoever like what he describes. My neighbors are nearly all wealthy highly educated professionals. The school district is the highest ranked in Colorado, routinely winning all the golf/tennis state titles, and other "country club" sports. My spouse and I are Christian and as such are without a doubt among the minority in our local peer group. Nyccoman's post is so far off reality its almost comical. Decent recitation of very very broad stereotypes though. I'll give it that.
Nyccoman's post is so far off reality it was trolling, and he was banned for posting such crap and the one no one sees because it was deleted.

Everyone should ignore anything on City-Data by Nyccoman.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:48 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,686,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyccoman View Post
People invariably will tell you that where they live, is the best. Or maybe the worst. So take answers with a grain of salt.

I moved to Colorado about ten years ago and since have been all over the state. Here's a thumbnail sketch for you:

Denver - big and noisy and way too much traffic. Might as well live in any big city anywhere, but it's big by spreading out, not up. Not many skyscrapers compared to NYC, Chicago, etc. Just mile after mile of strip malls and the like, though the old inner city is fairly nice. It's ugly for a big city, sorry, but that's my impression. All the Broncos fans will make you puke, too. It does have all the modern things you need these days - the good hospitals, colleges, sports teams, restaurants, and so forth, and actual has a veneer of culture, which is completely and utterly lacking in the rest of the state. If coming from the East or West coasts and not prepared to change your ways too much, this is your best bet.

Colorado Springs - North CS is way more suburban and "normal" than the south, avoid the south section at all costs unless you a) work at Fort Carson or b) can't afford the other areas. People bring their Bibles to the lunch room and read them on their breaks, I kid you not. Not much to do there despite the fact it basically is a tourist town (other than the huge, huge military installations). Jobs in the Springs basically service the military component, so they need doctors, store clerks, government workers, that sort of job. I was surprised at all the cactus growing in the wild here. Big plus - driving is not bad, at least in summer conditions, not as much traffic as you might expect. Be prepared to spend your shopping time at Walmart, Costco and other big boxes, and your dining money at Applebys or whatever other chain you frequent, because those are your choices. Cheaper than Denver.

Pueblo - poorest city in the state. A favorite of Mexicans, it reminds many of them of home (yes, I know that for a fact from talking to them). Real estate is cheap, but jobs are few and far between, basically, you work in a profession or run a cash register at Home Depot. Almost always about 5-10 Degrees warmer than the Springs, which itself is fairly warm for Colorado. A cheap place to live, but you better have a source of income lined up first.

Monument and Black Forest - home of retired Generals and Colonels. Pricey real estate, almost no apartments (there are some in Palmer Lake), the winters there are BRUTAL, the trees create icy conditions that will eventually, cause you to have an accident. Both places have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO unless you are there with your family.

Longmont/Boulder/Westminster - Pricey areas that get fairly bad winters compared to the southern areas. You can commute to jobs in Denver if you like to drive. No character to those places except Boulder, which is a snooty college town.

Salida/Buena Vista/Leadville - Very pretty places to live. Almost no jobs except at Climax mine in Leadville or in the usual strip mall places. Real estate has gone through the roof up there, but it takes people years to sell their properties until they come way down.

Telluride/Aspen/Vail - you sure better have bucks to live in a place like that. All out in the middle of nowhere, but the celebs don't care they fly in anyway.

Anything out East of I-25 - you are in the middle of Kansas-type land, flat and boring as sin.

Anything in the mountains besides the above - be prepared to frigid winters, having to drive miles and miles for normal conveniences, and only specialized jobs like fracking or park ranger or the like. And you WILL get tired of skiing.

Gunnison/Montrose/Grand Junction - not bad towns, but they are isolated (the people there don't think so, but they don't know any better. Got an appointment to see a good doctor? Drive the five+ hours to Denver, it's your only option.

Trinidad - Great place if you are having a sex-change operation, I suppose.

That's Colorado in a nutshell. It is dry and, contrary to stereotypes, basically a desert except in the mountains.
How is Nyccoman SO far off the mark? Pretty accurate and non-jaded.
Shootin from the hip.
I think to many people think we live like this:

Last edited by proveick; 10-01-2013 at 11:03 AM..

Old 10-03-2013, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,103 times
Regarding the winter weather comment about Monument -- is it that much different than CO Springs? I read about the winter in CO Springs being relatively mild, but it was mentioned how bad the winters are in Black Forest and Monument. All are relatively close on the map. Just curious if the weather is actually substantially different due to weather patterns and geography, or if they are about the same.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:58 PM

20,812 posts, read 38,983,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2root4u View Post
Regarding the winter weather comment about Monument -- is it that much different than CO Springs? I read about the winter in CO Springs being relatively mild, but it was mentioned how bad the winters are in Black Forest and Monument. All are relatively close on the map. Just curious if the weather is actually substantially different due to weather patterns and geography, or if they are about the same.
They're close.

Monument / BF are higher in elevation thus a bit cooler any time of year.

Also, the higher the elevation the greater the likelihood that snow will fall where it may be rain downtown, 15 miles south. Weather reports here often state where the "snow line" will be, with above that point getting snow and below that point getting rain.

Overall, year round, only a few days of driving where it really matters, and IMO not a factor to rule the place in or out for the average person.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:13 PM

2,483 posts, read 3,509,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2root4u View Post
Regarding the winter weather comment about Monument -- is it that much different than CO Springs?
On an average daily commute you will see about a 10 difference between the higher parts of Monument/Palmer Lake and southern Colorado Springs. Not a huge difference but definitely noticeable. Also, Monument will typically get about 20-30% more snow accumulation than most the lower parts of COS. And there are even times that it will rain in one and snow in the other. But it's not like Monument is in the frozen arctic tundra and Southern Springs is in the Tahitian islands, as some of the city folks seem to believe.

Pueblo is even warmer than Springs so that may be another possibility if you need to be in a front range city. However, if you can't handle any real snow at all then it's best not to move to anyplace in CO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado