U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 02:06 PM

67 posts, read 113,609 times

Advertisements

Im wondering where the best place to live in Colorado is.
I have really only spent time in Telluride.
Telluride is a beautiful place and I would rather live there but from I have heard its just too darn expensive and not many jobs. Im looking for beautiful scenery 1st and a place that is not to populated. Of coarse jobs are an important factor as well.

Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 48,555 times
The best place for you depends on what details you are seeking.
Are you religious or not? Do you have a family or are you single? What kind of work can you do and what skills do you have?

I personally prefer Crestone and places like Manitou Springs, places without a heavy clique element.
Laid back without having to worry about to much division or crime, you also don't have to be extremely well off to live decently.

Give more info and detail and I'd be glad to help.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:34 PM

12,174 posts, read 20,957,421 times
Everyone will have a different opinion on the best place to live in the state.

In my biased opinion that answer is Pueblo. I think its the perfect mix of urban and suburban and rural. We have nice summers that are not as hot as the desert southwest or the east and nice winters with snow but not as cold as the north east or mid west yet with some of the most sunshine of any city in the nation. The scenery is great as we have the mountains and a desert look all in a short drive with some of the best trails in the state. Pueblo, also, has a culture that is not found in many cities as most residents are long time Puebloans and love their city just as much as I do and that helps make Pueblo a live and let live town.

All in all I would not live any other city in the state.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 46,754 times
You need to determine what you are looking for. We moved here from Seattle and I had some romantic ideas of Colorado, snow, skiing, and the mountains. We moved to Colorado springs and I was let down in our choice of cities. Colorado Springs is nice, but compared to living in a large city there isn't much to do. It is also an aging city that makes an awkward attempt at being a tourist destination. The Springs hardly gets any snow and what it does get doesn't last through the morning. The mountains and options for outdoors activities seem to be better from denver area west and north (Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park). I love skiing, so the additional hour driving from the Springs always irritates me. By the time it took to drive from the Springs to Denver, I could have driven from Denver to Loveland and been on the slopes.

Castle Rock would have been a better compromise. To answer your question Denver, Denver metro, Boulder, Golden will put you a lot closer to all the places you would probably want to be. From there the city and the mountains are very accessible. If you want to live in the mountains then Dillon, breckenridge, and Frisco are all right there together. If you want to live way out, but live near a ski resort then pagosa springs, Durango, or Telluride are options.

Just think about the things that matter the most to you and base your decision on that. If you can. Narrow it down some, then ask more questions here.

PS- Colorado Springs may be a good place for you. I just had the wrong expectations. It is consistently ranked among the best places to live.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 46,938 times
People invariably will tell you that where they live, is the best. Or maybe the worst. So take answers with a grain of salt.

I moved to Colorado about ten years ago and since have been all over the state. Here's a thumbnail sketch for you:

Denver - big and noisy and way too much traffic. Might as well live in any big city anywhere, but it's big by spreading out, not up. Not many skyscrapers compared to NYC, Chicago, etc. Just mile after mile of strip malls and the like, though the old inner city is fairly nice. It's ugly for a big city, sorry, but that's my impression. All the Broncos fans will make you puke, too. It does have all the modern things you need these days - the good hospitals, colleges, sports teams, restaurants, and so forth, and actual has a veneer of culture, which is completely and utterly lacking in the rest of the state. If coming from the East or West coasts and not prepared to change your ways too much, this is your best bet.

Colorado Springs - North CS is way more suburban and "normal" than the south, avoid the south section at all costs unless you a) work at Fort Carson or b) can't afford the other areas. People bring their Bibles to the lunch room and read them on their breaks, I kid you not. Not much to do there despite the fact it basically is a tourist town (other than the huge, huge military installations). Jobs in the Springs basically service the military component, so they need doctors, store clerks, government workers, that sort of job. I was surprised at all the cactus growing in the wild here. Big plus - driving is not bad, at least in summer conditions, not as much traffic as you might expect. Be prepared to spend your shopping time at Walmart, Costco and other big boxes, and your dining money at Applebys or whatever other chain you frequent, because those are your choices. Cheaper than Denver.

Pueblo - poorest city in the state. A favorite of Mexicans, it reminds many of them of home (yes, I know that for a fact from talking to them). Real estate is cheap, but jobs are few and far between, basically, you work in a profession or run a cash register at Home Depot. Almost always about 5-10 Degrees warmer than the Springs, which itself is fairly warm for Colorado. A cheap place to live, but you better have a source of income lined up first.

Monument and Black Forest - home of retired Generals and Colonels. Pricey real estate, almost no apartments (there are some in Palmer Lake), the winters there are BRUTAL, the trees create icy conditions that will eventually, cause you to have an accident. Both places have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO unless you are there with your family.

Longmont/Boulder/Westminster - Pricey areas that get fairly bad winters compared to the southern areas. You can commute to jobs in Denver if you like to drive. No character to those places except Boulder, which is a snooty college town.

Salida/Buena Vista/Leadville - Very pretty places to live. Almost no jobs except at Climax mine in Leadville or in the usual strip mall places. Real estate has gone through the roof up there, but it takes people years to sell their properties until they come way down.

Telluride/Aspen/Vail - you sure better have bucks to live in a place like that. All out in the middle of nowhere, but the celebs don't care they fly in anyway.

Anything out East of I-25 - you are in the middle of Kansas-type land, flat and boring as sin.

Anything in the mountains besides the above - be prepared to frigid winters, having to drive miles and miles for normal conveniences, and only specialized jobs like fracking or park ranger or the like. And you WILL get tired of skiing.

Gunnison/Montrose/Grand Junction - not bad towns, but they are isolated (the people there don't think so, but they don't know any better. Got an appointment to see a good doctor? Drive the five+ hours to Denver, it's your only option.

Trinidad - Great place if you are having a sex-change operation, I suppose.

That's Colorado in a nutshell. It is dry and, contrary to stereotypes, basically a desert except in the mountains.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:12 PM

11,051 posts, read 12,398,038 times
Paging jazzlover...

Old 10-31-2012, 09:14 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,837,299 times
hullo wrote: Best Place to Live in CO

Intrinsically, there is no such beast. ANY place in ANY state is as good as you make it.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:38 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,780,481 times
A question like the OP's is like asking, "What's your favorite color?" Well, that depends. If it's blood, I hope it's red. If it's snow, I hope it's white. Beyond that, asking me my favorite color is asking for a purely subjective answer that will vary according to the person answering the question.

A better approach is to ask the question:" These are the specific things that I need to have in a place, these are the things that I would like to have, and things are the things that I absolutely don't want. Now, what place might fit those requirements?" Otherwise, the OP is essentially asking a pointless question.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:41 AM

49 posts, read 162,637 times
I guess some people don't like Colorado, for me it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen! Our family has spent the last two summers there for my husbands job and totally have fallen in love with Colorado! My favorite areas our Fort Collins, and if I could afford it Niwot between Longmont and Boulder. We NEVER ran out of things to do in CO. and the VIEWS! I live in AZ where 6 months out of the year you are running the AC have lived in AZ my whole life, trust me the summers are aweful,I can't even get my kids to use the pool in July or August. When the time is right for us,will move to CO in a heartbeat!

Old 10-31-2012, 10:47 AM

833 posts, read 1,433,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyccoman View Post
People invariably will tell you that where they live, is the best. Or maybe the worst. So take answers with a grain of salt.
Well, gee... thanks for joining just so you could ***** and moan. Of course, as you yourself said, we will take your answer with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado