U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 01:20 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,838,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiNEwhere View Post
Can someone actually from Colorado and who actually lives in a rural area respond?
Someone actually from Colorado who actually lives in a rural area has responded.

See Post #6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 08:09 PM

2,939 posts, read 7,301,406 times
I will reiterate what I said, as long as you're 150 yds from a residence, 50 feet from a road, and NOT in an incorporated municipality with it's own laws (i.e, Denver, Colorado Springs), then you're not breaking any laws.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:50 PM

347 posts, read 713,813 times
The fact that you moved there with the preconceived notion of peace and quiet is completely irrelevant when it comes to the legality of it. The 150 yard and 50 yard thing is the national forest regulations, on private property it just matters if you are within a municipality that bans the discharge or not and you are safe. HOA/POA, I have no idea.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:59 PM

4,873 posts, read 9,614,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiNEwhere View Post
Can someone actually from Colorado and who actually lives in a rural area respond?
We live just outside Buena Vista, Colorado part of the year -- does that qualify?

I did check on the St. Mary's website and saw that the POA has covenants. I asked you in my previous post whether you had checked your covenants and you never responded. The posters on here (who are trying to be helpful by the way) can throw all sorts of various state and national forest laws at you, but if your very own POA does not allow the discharge of firearms, then you can't do it.

As I suggested in my previous post, you should be dealing with the people who are giving you the violation notice. If they are merely asking you to be a good neighbor but don't have covenants or laws to back them up, then you can keep doing what you want. You should ask them to show you the governing documentation that you are violating.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:28 AM

2,939 posts, read 7,301,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
We live just outside Buena Vista, Colorado part of the year -- does that qualify?

I did check on the St. Mary's website and saw that the POA has covenants. I asked you in my previous post whether you had checked your covenants and you never responded. The posters on here (who are trying to be helpful by the way) can throw all sorts of various state and national forest laws at you, but if your very own POA does not allow the discharge of firearms, then you can't do it.

As I suggested in my previous post, you should be dealing with the people who are giving you the violation notice. If they are merely asking you to be a good neighbor but don't have covenants or laws to back them up, then you can keep doing what you want. You should ask them to show you the governing documentation that you are violating.
He neglected to say if his POA was IN the National Forest, in which case, state law prempts any POA covenants. I've been down this road before.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:29 AM

5 posts, read 14,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post

Sorry, I thought you lived in Hawaii, thanks for clarifying.

Like I stated earlier, I'm not that guy that's shooting dozens of rounds everyday. A few rounds every month for target practice. I'm trying to be a good neighbor and be as considerate as possible. There are mountain lions where I live and to a lesser extent, bears, if my life is threatened I want to be sure I don't miss. I'll clarify with the POA, I don't think this will me as much of an issue in the winter, since many of the houses in St.Mary's are only occupied in the summer by part time residents. The below zero temps, high winds, and the fact that it snows 3-4 times a week leave the more "hardened" residents behind during the winter.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:41 AM

3,103 posts, read 2,830,944 times
I live in rural Colorado and there is no shooting and no hunting as per our HOA.

Personally, even as a gun owner who enjoys target practice, I'm glad this policy is in place. If I want to target practice there is a ton of nation forest, just a few moments away. I just wish the gun guys would clean up after themselves, it makes me ashamed to be associated with them - and this is in no way aimed at the OP, just stating the problem with target shooting in national forests.

If it's legal to shoot in your area, then I guess you're golden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado