Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:16 AM

5 posts, read 17,871 times

Advertisements

I actually live in St. Mary's. I own a couple of firearms and I like to have target practice usually once a month as a refresher. I shoot into a berm, over 300 feet away from any road, so there is no danger to anyone, but I checked the St.Mary's website and I guess someone complained, and now the website says

"We would like to remind residents and visitors that there is NO shooting or
[CENTER]discharging of any type of firearms in the St. Mary's area.
Thank you."

I've looked up the federal and state laws of Colorado and I don't see anything illegal in what I'm doing. I've taken all safety measures possible, and I've looked to see if there are any "official" St.Mary's laws and it doesn't appear like I am breaking any. I'm just a veteran who is trying to stay sharp on his shooting by firing 15-20 rounds a month, but it seems now that people are complaining and the POA is trying to say I can't without any reasoning or legal basis. If someone could clarify this would be appreciated.[/CENTER]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 10:37 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,933,879 times
I don't know anything about St. Mary's, but are you in an HOA? If so, there might be some by-law stating this. If you aren't in an HOA, then I would call the local police for verification. Also, you mentioned people are complaining. Who are they complaining to?

Old 10-29-2012, 10:37 AM

most likely the POA

Old 10-29-2012, 02:49 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,970,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiNEwhere View Post
I actually live in St. Mary's. I own a couple of firearms and I like to have target practice usually once a month as a refresher. I shoot into a berm, over 300 feet away from any road, so there is no danger to anyone, but I checked the St.Mary's website and I guess someone complained, and now the website says

"We would like to remind residents and visitors that there is NO shooting or
[CENTER]discharging of any type of firearms in the St. Mary's area.
Thank you."

I've looked up the federal and state laws of Colorado and I don't see anything illegal in what I'm doing. I've taken all safety measures possible, and I've looked to see if there are any "official" St.Mary's laws and it doesn't appear like I am breaking any. I'm just a veteran who is trying to stay sharp on his shooting by firing 15-20 rounds a month, but it seems now that people are complaining and the POA is trying to say I can't without any reasoning or legal basis. If someone could clarify this would be appreciated.[/CENTER]
IDK, but at very least it is incredibly rude (if not dangerous) to be unnecessarily discharging a firearm in a populated area. Many people move to the mountains for the peace and quiet. A neighbor target shooting is going to disrupt that.

Second, looking at Google Maps it looks like most of the roads in that subdivision, are spaced about 300 feet apart. Which makes me doubt that you are actually 300 feet away from the road. 300 feet is the length of a football field. Thats pretty far away from a road. Maybe you are more like 150? If you were actually 300 feet away, probably nobody would have been complaining about it.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 10-29-2012 at 02:57 PM..

Old 10-29-2012, 03:44 PM

It's pretty loud. I own 24acres, so I have more than 300 feet from the road. I shoot during the day, when everyone is awake, not at night. I'm being as considerate and safe as I can be. There's only 300 people who live in the area, and considerably less in the winter, I wouldn't consider it a populated area. Part of the reason I moved here is to be in a less populated area so that I could do stuff like this

Old 10-29-2012, 11:30 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,580,251 times
Personally, I would complain if a new neighbor started discharging firearms in my neighborhood. Especially considering that most people move to a place like St. Mary's for the peace and quiet. Our house in Buena Vista is at least a half mile from a shooting range, and I hate it that I have to listen to the "bang, bang, bang" all day long. I didn't realize that sound travels so far in the wide open spaces.

You say that you think the POA is complaining? Do you know who to contact? Also, you mentioned the St. Mary's website; do they have contact information? Have you checked your covenants?

Old 10-30-2012, 12:42 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,346,087 times
POA laws do not prempt state laws, unless otherwise posted. You can shoot in the Pike National forest as long as you're 150yds or farther from a dwelling and use common sense. Firearms are a big part of Colorado and they're not going away anytime soon.

I don't see any problem with what they OP is doing, provided it's not endangering anyone.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:16 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,970,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
POA laws do not prempt state laws, unless otherwise posted. You can shoot in the Pike National forest as long as you're 150yds or farther from a dwelling and use common sense. Firearms are a big part of Colorado and they're not going away anytime soon.

I don't see any problem with what they OP is doing, provided it's not endangering anyone.
The OP is shooting from his own property in the middle of a subdivision. It's almost a certainty that he is in violation of regulation that you refer to. The POA has already informed him of that fact.

26 1. I 0(d) - Discharging a firearm or any other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury, or damaging property as follows:

(1) In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area, or;

(2) Across or on a National Forest System road or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in any manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result in such discharge;

(3) Into or within any cave.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:35 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,346,087 times
Well, now that actual determination has yet to be made by doing some measuring.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:49 AM

Can someone actually from Colorado and who actually lives in a rural area respond?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado