Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 05:57 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,600 times

Advertisements

Which cities have a good economy, primarily in the financial,banking, and accounting sector and have an affordable cost of living in Colorado?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 06:32 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
IMO that's Denver.

Affordability is rather subjective.

Suggest rent for a year to learn the area and find a location that works for your requirements.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:08 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Does any city in Colorado have a good economy now?

Old 11-02-2012, 07:13 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,600 times
In your opinion will Denver's economy improve, in the next five years.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:18 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
I think the entire states economy will improve in the next 5 years. I live in Pueblo and I can see signs of the economy picking back up and more companies are looking to move here now then have in recent memory.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:14 AM

352 posts, read 713,279 times
I'm consulting my Magic 8 ball right now: "Definitely maybe" came up three times in a row. Guess that's your answer.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:38 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
In your opinion will Denver's economy improve, in the next five years.
Denver's economy doesn't have the major up-swings and down-swings as a lot of other large cities. But no city is independent of the national/global economy. I don't think even the professional economists can say where any of this is going to be next year, much less in five years.

I assume that you are trying to do some long-range planning. I suggest that you spend the intervening years read the Denver Post as well as national publications to follow trends. Those of us on this forum can help you out with our own experiences, and will be happy to help you with relocation information when that time comes.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Denver's economy doesn't have the major up-swings and down-swings as a lot of other large cities. But no city is independent of the national/global economy. I don't think even the professional economists can say where any of this is going to be next year, much less in five years.

I assume that you are trying to do some long-range planning. I suggest that you spend the intervening years read the Denver Post as well as national publications to follow trends. Those of us on this forum can help you out with our own experiences, and will be happy to help you with relocation information when that time comes.
Seriously? Denver has long had a "boom-bust" economy, as has all of Colorado. When we came here in 1980, every other person (I am exaggerating, but not by much) was a petroleum engineer or a geologist. Then the oil industry went bust, practically overnight. The actual extraction of shale oil went bust overnight as well. I don't think there are any oil companies left in Denver, where they once had fancy 17th St. offices. High tech telecom boomed in the 1990s, then went bust.

*** In the 1970s and early '80s, the energy crisis in America created an energy boom in Denver captured in the soap opera Dynasty. During this time, Denver was built up considerably, with many new downtown skyscrapers built during this time. Eventually the oil prices dropped from $34 a barrel in 1981 to $9 a barrel in 1986, and the Denver economy dropped with it, leaving almost 15,000 oil industry workers in the area unemployed (including mayor John Hickenlooper, a former geologist), and the highest office vacancy rate in the nation (30%).
. . .

These and other high-tech companies had a boom in Denver in the mid to late 1990s, but the technology bust in the new millennium caused Denver to lose many of those technology jobs.

Economy of Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There was also the military high-tech boom-bust in Colorado Springs, which carried over to Denver somewhat.

However, to answer the OP's questions, especially in the industries s/he is interested in, Denver is the place to look.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:32 PM

399 posts, read 817,042 times
Sounds like how the weather is in Colorado. One year it barely snows. The other it might as well be hell freezing over. ;D I love blizzards only when the power doesn't go out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado