U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 12:47 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,982,965 times

Advertisements

What counties/regions of the state tend to have the highest horse populations/horse to human ratios?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 10:01 AM

2,139 posts, read 5,631,447 times
I would say it is widespread throughout the state. What are your equine interests?

Old 11-07-2012, 02:15 PM

248 posts, read 503,808 times
There are many Hunter/Jumper and Dressage riders in and around the Parker area due to close proximity to the Colorado Horse Park.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:19 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,982,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
I would say it is widespread throughout the state. What are your equine interests?
Nothing specific, but I'm thinking about some kind of career working with horses, and in the long run not limiting myself to just my current region if I see opportunities elsewhere, and I'm just curious about where some of the equine hotspots are in CO.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:21 PM

4,873 posts, read 9,616,291 times
Well, there's a whole lot of difference between "where is the horse to human ratio high" and "where could I get work?".

There are a lot of really large ranches that have a few humans and dozens of horses. (South Park area comes to mind). To find work on the ranches would mean that you have real cowboy experience. How do cowboys go about finding jobs, anyway?

But if you are more interested in looking for riding stables/academies, etc., then Ponypenny is giving you good advice. That kind of equine experience is going to be found closer to the large population areas.

Something in between the two would be the numerous dude ranches found all over the state, as well as Wyoming and Montana. Some of them are actual working ranches where the visitors get to "help out" and some are more along the lines of trail rides.

"Some kind of career working with horses" is really vague. Sounds like you need to evaluate your knowledge/experience and determine where your skills would be of use in finding a job.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:48 PM

14,490 posts, read 22,337,836 times
I'm not a horse guy by any means. Where I live now in Pueblo West, it's zoned equestrian. But that's got to be the meanest thing to do to the poor animal... making them live in boring Pueblo County... exept maybe for the Hatchet Ranch/Colorado City/Rye area. Some of the best horseback riding I've ever done was in the Durango area and the Basalt area.

But here's the reason why the beauties are a burden in this here state now; due to the horrible drought over the last few years here... as in worse than normal drought... I think hay has gone from about 2 bucks a bale to no less than 8 buck per? That sound right?

Old 11-08-2012, 01:41 PM

103 posts, read 351,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
What counties/regions of the state tend to have the highest horse populations/horse to human ratios?
Southeast Colorado has a fairly high population of people who own and use their horses on their ranches, etc. Not sure if it is the highest ratio, but certainly an area where a vast majority of the population has an appreciation of the importance of horses to their livelihoods.

Here is what the Pueblo Chieftain had to say about the Kim, Colorado Equine Pavilion and Education Center

Horse pavilion perfectly fits town of Kim - Pueblo Chieftain: News

The folks down in that area have done a great job putting the facility together.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:19 PM

14,490 posts, read 22,337,836 times
What's up LJ?

I had heard that Lamar Community College has some horse training program too.

Oh, and with all the ranching up in and around Burlington, I wonder of that might be considered a "horse area" too. Or has the Polaris replaced the Quarter horse?

Old 11-09-2012, 09:16 AM

103 posts, read 351,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
What's up LJ?

I had heard that Lamar Community College has some horse training program too.

Oh, and with all the ranching up in and around Burlington, I wonder of that might be considered a "horse area" too. Or has the Polaris replaced the Quarter horse?
McGowdog...life is good!!! Lamar Community College does have a program. Lamar Community College | We enrich lives through learning if anyone is interested. Otero Junior College does some as well through their Agribusiness program in the Animal Science section. Otero Junior College for a link there.

Most of rural eastern Colorado would still be "horse areas"....surprising how many still put more faith in 'OL Pard rather than Polaris, cause 'OL Pard won't run out of gas or have a flat tire as often....and he listens while you talk.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:09 AM

2,139 posts, read 5,631,447 times
It is very difficult for the horse business with hay prices and the cost of property. But other horsey areas include Longmont north to Wellington. Search online for tack shops and that will give you a good idea where the areas are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or