U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 11:42 AM

1,109 posts, read 2,336,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Tax free cigarettes have been a major underground trade for a long time and especially now with the extremely high taxes on them. Cigarette smuggling is a big business and just because you don't hear about it as much on the nightly news doesn't mean it's not going on.

Moonshine is still big business as well.

My point is that just because you make it legal doesn't mean there isn't going to be a major underground trade going on with all the associated issues connected to that. People make it sound like if it's legal it will solve all those issues in regards to organized crime, taxes, safety, etc.
I never said cigarette smuggling/underground trade didn't exist. In fact some of my local news sites have caught on with a few stories about them some months back. Even though the underground trade exists, its up to the individual to decide whether its worth the time, inconvenience and risk to obtain these products via underground when one can easily obtain it legally through a store, kind of like why I don't get my car parts from craigslist for the most part.

I live in a high tax state so I'm not going to complain since I don't smoke.

I'd like to see what would happen if the nation re-enacted alcohol prohibition today.

Last edited by rsh56; 11-11-2012 at 11:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 11:43 AM

3,813 posts, read 3,647,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
We ought not confuse weed smokers with speedfreaks or junkies.
Why? The truth hurts?

Old 11-11-2012, 11:45 AM

12,578 posts, read 13,253,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIowan View Post
In the coming weeks in months, I'm predicting people will be migrating/moving to Colorado due to the new Marijuana law. Which, may not be a good thing to the person migration here due to a law.. same way as people are drawn to Las Vegas and end up Unemployed/Homeless. Do you think this could be the same scenario in CO?
You will probably discover most are joking about moving there.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:47 AM

14,490 posts, read 22,337,836 times
And to think all those ^ geniuses could have used the good services of one lawyer.

Oh but Colorado has never been known to pass a useless amendment, right?

Oh and btw, please don't do that again. A link would suffice.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:49 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,421,317 times
Quote:
I'm not here to convince anyone. The potheads will always find a way to rationalize using cannabis, always have done and always will do. As long as it's not in my space or property or they expect me to pay for their pot or health issues, like lazy, pathetic, whining women expect me to pay for their birth control through obamacare, then smoke up.
With a statement like this, you really show your true colors. Not even worth arguing with this ignorance, guys! Wanneroo, you just lost all respect from me.

Last edited by delta07; 11-11-2012 at 12:04 PM..

Old 11-11-2012, 11:53 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,525,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Funny, 300+ doctors and 130 college professors came out in FAVOR of prop 64.

Here are their names

It's also worth noting that D.A.R.E. dropped cannabis from their curriculum.

300+ Colorado physicians in 65+ cities and towns endorse Amendment 64 | Yes on Amendment 64: The Colorado Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol
Well good for them, smoke up.

The potheads will always find people in the medical business to support this law or that. Just like the "doctors" on TV hawking the latest herbal supplement or exercise gizmo.

Big deal.

I would have more respect for the potheads if they stopped acting like this was some harmless "magic herb" that has zero impact on your health or your brain and also acting like getting stoned doesn't impair you.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:54 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,044,988 times
Nice post ,Colorado^

"[T]here is very little evidence that smoking marijuana as a means of taking it represents a significant health risk.
Although cannabis has been smoked widely in Western countries for more than four decades, there have been no reported cases of lung cancer or emphysema attributed to marijuana.
I suspect that a day's breathing in any city with poor air quality poses more of a threat than inhaling a day's dose -- which for many ailments is just a portion of a joint -- of marijuana."

-- Lester Grinspoon, MD
Emeritus Professor of Psychiatry
Harvard Medical School
"Puffing Is the Best Medicine,"
Los Angeles Times
May 5, 2006

It seems that after all the textbooks, the scientific papers, and the front-page headlines, it’s still the same old story: marijuana used in moderation is a relatively harmless drug. Pharmacologist Les Iversen, now a visiting Oxford scholar, tells me, “Marijuana is somewhat more harmful than aspirin.” Iversen should know; he spent 10 years assessing the risks of drugs for pharmaceutical giant Merck & Company, and recently served on Britain’s Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs

On the scale of harmful substances, marijuana ranks fairly low. Tobacco and alcohol exact a far greater toll, between them accounting for some 12 per cent of global deaths. Even aspirin is credited with causing in the vicinity of 50 deaths a year in Australia alone. No deaths are attributable to marijuana.

And that minority is recognisable to many. It might be the vulnerable teenager for whom marijuana is the grease that slides them towards aimless drug-dependence; psychiatrists will think of their mentally ill patients whose marijuana habit makes their disease much worse; and then there is that minority in the general population, largely undetectable, who have a predisposition to schizophrenia. Most psychiatrists now believe marijuana smoking will push those susceptible to schizophrenia over the edge.
JUST BECAUSE two things are correlated doesn’t mean one caused the other. For instance: there is a high correlation between the number of people who drown each year and the number who consume ice cream. Does that mean eating ice cream causes drowning? No; it’s just that both events happen more frequently in summer.
But in the case of marijuana and say, schizophrenia, the correlation is something like a two- or three-fold increased risk. “Epidemiologists tell us that a two-fold increased risk is very suspect,” says Iversen.
“And it could disappear entirely if we’ve missed any confounding factors.”

But does marijuana make these patients psychotic … or were they psychotic to begin with? Perhaps psychotic people are simply more attracted to marijuana? With patients, you see an association; but you can’t tell which came first.

What happens to their IQ if they test while not under the influence?
And the argument over the lower IQ is MOOT as kids shouldn't be smoking it and the law limits to use for people over the age of 21.

Last edited by snofarmer; 11-11-2012 at 12:07 PM..

Old 11-11-2012, 12:00 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,525,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
With a statement like this, you really show your true colors. Not even worth arguing with this ignorance guys! Wanneroo, you just lost all respect from me.
Good.

If you are too lazy to buy $8 birth control pills or condoms, which are widely and cheaply available and have to insist BIG Gubermint has to have a program to supply you with FREE!(taxpayer funded) pills instead, then I don't have any respect for you either. I don't respect mooches that never contribute and always expect everyone else to pay for whatever they want to do.

A part of liberty is personal responsibility. If you want to engage in certain behaviors, then have some responsibility, get off your butt and pay for it. I don't expect other people to pay for the things I do. Why should I pay for yours? What makes you so special compared to any other citizen?

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-11-2012 at 04:37 PM..

Old 11-11-2012, 12:10 PM

3,869 posts, read 13,044,988 times
To address this, researchers began studies that tracked people over several years. The biggest and the best of these began in the 1970s with some 50,000 Swedish army conscripts. They were interviewed at age 18 about their marijuana use. After 15 years their medical records were checked only three per cent of the heavy users developed the disease. A closer look showed that many had reported symptoms of psychiatric illness (like odd beliefs or hearing voices) at the outset of the study, so might have developed schizophrenia irrespective of smoking.

Given the large increase in the number of people who use marijuana over the past 30 years, as well as its increased potency, if marijuana was causing schizophrenia we should see an increased number of cases. But estimates by Hall and others show that the rate has stayed at about one per cent.

DOES MARIJUANA trash your brain? There’s no doubt a youngster smoking a dozen bong hits a day is not going to score too well on an IQ test. But what about someone in their 30s or 40s who has smoked a couple of joints each night after work for 10 or 20 years? Once they get off the dope, will their brains recover? And what about the young pot user?
As with everything in the marijuana debate, getting a simple answer is not easy. You can find studies showing that users have a lower
IQ: but then, some of these studies don’t take into account the fact that marijuana hangs around in the system for days.
A 2001 study by Harrison Pope and colleagues at the Harvard Medical School and published in the Archives of General Psychiatry showed how critical it was to allow all marijuana to ‘wash out’ from the system before measuring performance. Heavy, long-term users were compared with people who had never used the drug. The long-term users then underwent 28 days without smoking. In the first several days the users scored well below the non-users in various mental tests. By day 28, there was no difference.
Iversen reviewed many of these studies for the journal Brain. He found that studies on long-term, very heavy users of cannabis in Jamaica and Costa Rica (those smoking 10 to 20 joints per day for more than 10 years) failed to show any significant difference between users and non-users. Similar negative results were reported in some studies of U.S. college students.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:52 PM

14,490 posts, read 22,337,836 times
Quote:
Good.

If you are too lazy to buy $8 birth control pills or condoms...
Oh so if this thread is going to turn into a rant about civil rights, I'll get off the bus right here.

If any of you want to continue discussing alcohol or maybe drug abuse and the recovery thereof, come see me in the mental health subforum sometime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado