U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 05:25 PM

4,248 posts, read 10,524,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xqw999 View Post
Obviously, there are many opinions floating around about this development in Colorado. Here's mine...

I'm in my 40s (and otherwise absolutely liberal) and smoked a fair to large amount of weed starting at age 13 in my home state of Missouri (been in Colorado for 13 years and had planned to make it my permanent home). My friend's dad was a heavy smoker and did not feel it was wrong to give it to us. Throughout junior high, high school and college I watched more and more friends get into it (many because of me personally) and I can say without a doubt that it was NOT health or brain neutral. I myself dropped out of college as did many of my smoking friends. Interestingly, those I knew who abstained from pot and only drank alcohol had MUCH better life outcomes. And for myself and several other friends...we only straightened our lives out AFTER we stopped smoking. I'll admit, this is not a scientific study, but come on, it certainly doesn't help people succeed and what are the chances it is exactly neutral? Practically nil. So the only remaining possibility is that it is harmful. But just how harmful is the question...

I've heard a lot of opinions about adults, but does anyone think legalizing is going to make it harder to get for teens? Come on. Yes, I could get weed when I was younger, but alcohol was ridiculously easier to get. If pot had been legal there would have been 10x the amount flying around. Think of all the cases and kegs of beer at all those parties and now imagine pot is just as easy to obtain. It makes my stomach sick. And I read a very recent article from CNN that proved the ill effects of pot on the young developing brain. Do people really think this is the right example to set for our children? Oh and by the way, don't we have bigger things to worry about like rebuilding our country and economy? More stoned people, that is what we really need to help us compete in the global economy. Please.

And yes, alcohol is bad in its own way too, but what is more likely, that people will choose pot OVER alcohol or that they will simply do both? I think the answer to that question is obvious. And pot is different from alcohol, it displaces normal reality in a way that I think many who have never smoked do not understand. It severely inhibits the normal, stable social interaction between human beings. Legalizing it and in fact, promoting and institutionalizing it to such a degree as has happened here is a tragedy for the state of Colorado. I moved here because of the healthy atmosphere and because it was supposedly a great place to eventually raise a family. But with one piece of legislation all that has been cast into doubt. Now we are a "specialty vice" state like Nevada where people can come and engage in what is (and should be) illegal activity in their state.

And what about our reputation? Do you think parents from other states will want their kids going to Colorado colleges? Or is there any doubt that "legalization" won't cross the mind of the admissions staff at out of state colleges when they see an application from a Colorado student? And if pro-pot people invade the state, who do you think will leave? People like me and my wife...educated, productive people who have contributed greatly to the well being of this state. We have a two year old daughter and there is no way I am going to allow her to be a guinea pig in a social and physical experiment of this magnitude. No way. It has never been legal and sold this freely before in the US and nobody knows what the consequences will be. I'm not sticking around to find out. I know someone on here will tell me not to let the door hit me in the a** on the way out and believe me, I won't.

Instead of the sky falling go look at the Netherlands. Soft drugs are decriminalized there and drug usage is lower compared to the USA where it's illegal. Yes it will be used by more people at the beginning but will go down as time moves on. I don't know where you grew up but cannabis was 10x easier to get than alcohol for me.

Marijuana does not severely inhibit the normal, stable social interaction between human beings. It actually does the opposite. Some of the greatest minds this world has ever seen smoked cannabis. Does that make them bad people or less as a human to you? Why is it they were able to accomplish so much on a plant the government puts right next to crack cocaine? Why does the government say cannabis has no medical benefits yet own a patent on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 05:26 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,634,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xqw999 View Post
Obviously, there are many opinions floating around about this development in Colorado. Here's mine...

I'm in my 40s (and otherwise absolutely liberal) and smoked a fair to large amount of weed starting at age 13 in my home state of Missouri (been in Colorado for 13 years and had planned to make it my permanent home). My friend's dad was a heavy smoker and did not feel it was wrong to give it to us. Throughout junior high, high school and college I watched more and more friends get into it (many because of me personally) and I can say without a doubt that it was NOT health or brain neutral. I myself dropped out of college as did many of my smoking friends. Interestingly, those I knew who abstained from pot and only drank alcohol had MUCH better life outcomes. And for myself and several other friends...we only straightened our lives out AFTER we stopped smoking. I'll admit, this is not a scientific study, but come on, it certainly doesn't help people succeed and what are the chances it is exactly neutral? Practically nil. So the only remaining possibility is that it is harmful. But just how harmful is the question...

I've heard a lot of opinions about adults, but does anyone think legalizing is going to make it harder to get for teens? Come on. Yes, I could get weed when I was younger, but alcohol was ridiculously easier to get. If pot had been legal there would have been 10x the amount flying around. Think of all the cases and kegs of beer at all those parties and now imagine pot is just as easy to obtain. It makes my stomach sick. And I read a very recent article from CNN that proved the ill effects of pot on the young developing brain. Do people really think this is the right example to set for our children? Oh and by the way, don't we have bigger things to worry about like rebuilding our country and economy? More stoned people, that is what we really need to help us compete in the global economy. Please.

And yes, alcohol is bad in its own way too, but what is more likely, that people will choose pot OVER alcohol or that they will simply do both? I think the answer to that question is obvious. And pot is different from alcohol, it displaces normal reality in a way that I think many who have never smoked do not understand. It severely inhibits the normal, stable social interaction between human beings. Legalizing it and in fact, promoting and institutionalizing it to such a degree as has happened here is a tragedy for the state of Colorado. I moved here because of the healthy atmosphere and because it was supposedly a great place to eventually raise a family. But with one piece of legislation all that has been cast into doubt. Now we are a "specialty vice" state like Nevada where people can come and engage in what is (and should be) illegal activity in their state.

And what about our reputation? Do you think parents from other states will want their kids going to Colorado colleges? Or is there any doubt that "legalization" won't cross the mind of the admissions staff at out of state colleges when they see an application from a Colorado student? And if pro-pot people invade the state, who do you think will leave? People like me and my wife...educated, productive people who have contributed greatly to the well being of this state. We have a two year old daughter and there is no way I am going to allow her to be a guinea pig in a social and physical experiment of this magnitude. No way. It has never been legal and sold this freely before in the US and nobody knows what the consequences will be. I'm not sticking around to find out. I know someone on here will tell me not to let the door hit me in the a** on the way out and believe me, I won't.
Your experience is not necessarily representative of the rest of the population's experience with the substance. 56% of the population supports legal recreational with medical cannabis approval levels at 78%. Considering that medical cannabis is already legal in 18 states + DC, how long until it just catches back up with you again? Recreational will continue to follow as people see that the sky doesn't fall in with legalization & regulation of medical use. Will you run away from it the rest of your life?

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...ting_marijuana

Old 11-11-2012, 05:32 PM

3,103 posts, read 2,833,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Marijuana causes tacycardia and has been linked to cardial myopathy and myocardial infarction.

Also, would anyone here feel comfortable if their pilot was high?
tacycardia [sic] is an elevation in heart rate. Exercise causes a temporary increase in heart rate, so does cannabis. When the drug wears off, your heart rate returns to normal, just like when you finish exercising.

If cannabis causes heart disease then there should be an 80% correlation between habitual cannabis users and heart disease. There has never been such a finding ever. That's why they use words like 'linked' or 'may cause' etc.

Why would a pilot be high? Did prop 64 pass a law saying it's legal for a commercial airline pilots to fly under the influence of cannabis? No it did not, but nice attempt a scare mongering.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:35 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,634,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
nice attempt a scare mongering.
or quite a lame attempt.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:42 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,525,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
Wanneroo, if you really are who you say you are, work in the medical field, and have access to all of these wonderful scientific minds daily, then surely you would understand the idea that correlation does not equal causation. You put forth a correlation based upon supposed experience yet you decline to offer proof of causation beyond "because I say so". Sorry, that's not good enough for an issue of this importance.

You accuse cannabis users of being in denial yet you demonstrate complete denial by refusing to provide links to any factual information from non-biased credible organizations, telling us instead to do our own research. Uh... sorry, but it's up to nobody but you to prove your position and you continue to be unable to do so.

Until you can, there's not much else to say.
Sorry but I don't work for you.

If I recall, I already stated I'm not trying to convince anyone or prove anything. I've got my opinion, but others are free to do whatever they want as long as it's not in my space or I have to pay for it.

Yes you should do your own research. I always do my own research and don't rely on others to do it for me. If I want to know about cannabis, I ask questions and read about it. If other people cannot manage one finger typing into google to start digging up stuff, too bad. If you are satisfied that cannabis is the "magic herb" with no negative effects and you believe that, then smoke up.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Wanneroo is a professional driver shuttling wealthy people (doctors etc) to Aspen.
That was years ago. Wanneroo had fun and then moved on to bigger and better things.

Having grown up around doctors and also having seen some of the high flying doctors in action on the party scene in Aspen, I can say that not all doctors make the best choices or are infallible. Unfortunately in this country when people speak of doctors they see them as speaking the God's truth and they are just not that perfect.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
Yikes, didn't you guys learn anything this past week? Wrong topic.

<CMD-CTL-IGNORE>
Yes we did. There are 60 million people who want handouts and free stuff and who have priorities in the wrong place, 58 million people who wants everyone to stop picking their pockets with more taxes and regulations and 120 million people that are too lazy to get out there and vote or learn about the issues.

Worrying about cannabis legalization and legislation when this country is headed towards 17 Trillion in debt is pretty laughable really.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:56 PM

Cannabis is not some low life seedy drug as some of you would have us believe.

Facts:

Barack Obama used cannabis
George Bush used cannabis
Bill Clinton used cannabis
The American constitution was written on paper made with cannabis

"The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably by the prohibition law. For nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced. It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely connected with this." - Albert Einstein

"Make the most of the Indian hemp seed, and sow it everywhere." George Washington, 1794, The Writings of George Washington, Volume 33, page 270 (Library of Congress)

"Hemp is of first necessity to the wealth & protection of the country." Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-11-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Worrying about cannabis legalization and legislation when this country is headed towards 17 Trillion in debt is pretty laughable really.
It's so funny. Imagine taxing the largest cash crop in the USA? Then imagine not spending a trillion dollars on a drug war with no results to show for it.

Think that might be a step in the right direction?

Old 11-11-2012, 06:04 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,835,798 times
wanneroo wrote: There have been tons of studies that link cannabis use to all sorts of cancers, not to mention the warping of the brain and decrease in cognitive function and IQ.

This is utterly laughable! Anyone who takes such studies seriously NEEDS to get stoned! Going thru life in a state of anger, frustration, bitterness, worry, fear, etc is the root cause of cancer. There may or may not be studies to back this up, but to me it's just common sense that negative emotions are the real cause of physical diseases.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 11-11-2012 at 06:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado