U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-13-2012, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Colorado
11,607 posts, read 7,188,754 times
Reputation: 20919

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Yes! Ass backwards is the BIG LIE methodology of the GOP these days ... demand small govt out of one side of their lying mouths, then insert a big govt nose into YOUR bedroom, YOUR doctor's office, and in the case of VA, into YOUR vagina if you want a procedure. And they wonder why they lost. Again. Hah!

Mike, this and the post that it responds to is another one of those confusing conservatism with libertarianism, which is a thing that shouldn't be done.

Conservatives want a fiscally small government, one that keeps taxes small, but one that is highly involved in telling people right and wrong on all levels socially. And the assumption from this camp is that our government was, is, and always should be based on "Christian values." Hence all that stuff. They have tried to label themselves libertarian from time to time, but often have no idea what it even means.

Libertarianism on the other hand, is I think more true to the vision of the Founding Fathers, at least insofar as many quotes I've read. Let the people rule themselves whenever possible, let things be decided at local and state levels whenever possible with a very limited federal government. Libertarians are for small government both fiscally and socially. I'm a Libertarian in principle and so are probably most of the people I know. And yet we are utterly brainwashed by the media as a nation into thinking that it is stupid and/or wrong and/or pointless to vote for the candidates who most closely match this philosophy, because they are not the "chosen ones" of the mainstream money machine. That INFURIATES me.

You can really tell the difference on this board, who is more truly a conservative in spirit and who is a libertarian...

EDIT: Mike I think you know this already...but I'm often surprised how many don't.

Last edited by Sonic_Spork; 11-13-2012 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2012, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Colorado
11,607 posts, read 7,188,754 times
Reputation: 20919
I also want to reiterate just how many people posting here in support of Amendment 64 do NOT use weed, or any other drug.

*raises hand*

Been completely sober, including alcohol, since 1998. Didn't have to "recover" just simply stopped smoking when I had a feeling, the day after conception, that I was pregnant, which I confirmed shortly thereafter. It wasn't a big deal, just a voluntary change in personal lifestyle. I wanted to be a good Mom, and I know what weed used to do to me (laziness, demotivation) and decided that the two things were incompatible.

In my opinion, a culture of RESPONSIBILITY is one where Americans don't need the government to make every choice FOR THEM. They make their own decisions, as I did, and then live with what comes of that.

Again, just because a thing is legal doesn't mean everyone should, or can, or will, or has a right to do it. I go hang out backstage with my favorite band and friends, they're passing it around, I pass it by and don't hit. Occasionally someone will ask don't I want any? And I'll politely say no thanks. I have a harder time with people trying to foist alcohol on me.

Wanneroo, I respect absolutely your desire to not have this substance affect your life. I sincerely hope it has no impact upon you whatsoever, no matter what happens, and I wish you personally the best. But your statements reveal an unfortunate level of ignorance. As others have said, something is not right about the cases you claim to have witnessed in the ER...I mean, people jumping off of buildings because pot gave them "visions?" What?? I smoked like nonstop for about three years, and have been acquainted with stoners constantly since, and neither I nor any of my friends have experienced a "vision" while on weed.

Did this jumper happen to say anything to anyone about what kind of vision it was, before he allegedly jumped to his doom? Was it a vision of the Twinkie truck? I'm just curious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
3,845 posts, read 3,950,276 times
Reputation: 6489
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
So do you actually have something to say about cannabis or a position you have? Because this thread is not about me. Seems the pro pot people in this thread are a bit too concerned about me rather than defending their position, basically because they don't have a leg to stand on.
Wow wanneroo, I've seen Sarah Palin do better in debates. Face it, you are on the wrong side of history on this one.

If cannabis is carcinogenic, where are the bodies? Where is one body? There are many people in the business of keeping cannabis illegal and they've been unable to report anything except cheap anecdotal opinions like yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,173 posts, read 20,952,639 times
Reputation: 4258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Wow wanneroo, I've seen Sarah Palin do better in debates. Face it, you are on the wrong side of history on this one.

If cannabis is carcinogenic, where are the bodies? Where is one body? There are many people in the business of keeping cannabis illegal and they've been unable to report anything except cheap anecdotal opinions like yours.
And I have not been following this too closely but when the Scientific American speaks, as one of the leading scientific magazines in the world, I listen. I voted yes and I would vote yes again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
8,595 posts, read 7,034,902 times
Reputation: 7991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I also want to reiterate just how many people posting here in support of Amendment 64 do NOT use weed, or any other drug.

*raises hand*
Same here, except I do drink. I highly doubt I'd ever smoke weed again, and haven't in well over 10 years. I just appreciate the fact that Colorado is stepping up to the plate in regards to personal responsibility and true liberty, not some warped conservative definition of "liberty". This sentiment makes the state more attractive, and not at all because of the legal marijuana itself.

I'm also very interested in the effect this has on law enforcement. Many people in law enforcement recognize that enforcing marijuana laws causes more problems than it solves. It will be very interesting to watch how this plays out in that regard. Will it save money? Will it allow LEO's more time to focus on other crimes leading to increased conviction rates? Will it clear space in prisons? I'm fairly certain I already know the answer to these questions, but Colorado will be the first state to provide actual concrete data.

I have a feeling the Feds will allow this "experiment" to happen because they are certainly interested in answering these same questions. I anticipate the for-profit jail industry to take issue with this development though. Does Colorado have a lot of for-profit jails?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 10:59 AM
 
Location: The 719
14,476 posts, read 22,333,076 times
Reputation: 13789
Here’s what an article in the Pueblo Chieftain says about the amendment;

Quote:
Even if lawmakers and voters agree how to regulate and tax pot, however, significant questions remain about whether marijuana will truly be treated like alcohol. Marijuana remains illegal under federal law, and federal authorities have indicated no willingness to allow a state to experiment with pot outside of restricted medical uses.
Quote:
Colorado’s governor gave a folksy prediction of the measure’s future.

‘‘Federal law still says marijuana is an illegal drug, so don’t break out the Cheetos or Goldfish too quickly,’’ Gov. John Hickenlooper, a Democrat who opposed the measure, said in a statement.

An anti- 64 poster;

Quote:
Be ready for our insurance rates to go higher because now we'll have people who are "high" driving as well as the drunk drivers. Of course they will be the ones who can no longer afford to carry insurance on their vehicles because they're buying pot every day. When are people going to grow up and BE adults. Most of the people smoking marijuana that I know won't hold a job, are irresponsible and do not support any of the children they have. AMAZING!


Another anti-64 poster;

Quote:
Ok, now that this amendment passed, who is going to over see the taxes? I would really like to believe the pot growers and sellers will collect the tax AND forward it to the state. However, I can see a lot of cash changing hands with no record of the transaction. The pot will disappear out the back door to cash buyers with no trace. How do you stop that? Hell, you know it is happening now with the medical MJ dispeneries, if you don’t think so you are VERY naive. "Regulate it like alcohol”. HOW? People cant grow alcohol in their backyard and sell it to liquor stores, you can pot. This will be impossible to oversee. There will be A FEW that will abide by the law but I bet more will not. Just sayin....



A pro-64 poster;

Quote:
It's so easy to get a medical marijuana card and the doctors who approve them are approving them for crap reasons. So what difference does it make if you need a card or no card? Either way, its still going to be there, people will continue to buy, sell and smoke it. At least with it being legal and taxed, it goes back into the community



Another pro-64 poster;

Quote:
As usual the drunken alcoholics are demonstrating their non-intoxicating fears of horror. That's what happens when they get the alcoholic DT's!
Quote:

Once again. Alcohol is a fuel that can power internal combustion engines which is being urinated down the sewers of the world. Marijuana is a plant provided by Mother Nature.

And the drunken alcoholics of the world who are wasting a source of energy are going to tell the rest of the people of this world what they can have and cannot have.

Somebody needs to sober up!

Somebody may need to sober up, but let's all remember than only 10% of the folks are chronic alcoholics, some of them remaining sober/dry due to whatever works for them in order to do so, and there's the other 10% potential hard drinkers who will break the law, get punished, and eventually put the stuff down or moderate on their own will power.


Now your unconventional pro-64er;

Quote:
Legalize and tax. This would be one way to get the Obama Liberals to pay taxes...

Now, here’s what the Democratic Sheriff of Pueblo County said about the measure;

Quote:
"The devil is in the details," said Pueblo County Sheriff Kirk Taylor, who publicly opposed the measure. "All we have right now is the amendment. As law enforcement, we don't necessarily enforce an amendment. We enforce statutes that flow out of that amendment and statutes are built out of the legislature."

Taylor also said it's possible for the federal government to place an injunction on Colorado. "It's my theory that could be the next stop in getting some kind of legal opinion to see if (the amendment) violates the U.S. Constitution."

My question is this; what if someone who is on probation/parole is smoking weed and gets their UA test and it comes back positive for weed. Then the PO decides to prosecute their client as being in violation of probation/parole… no problem. But let’s say it goes the other way and the PO decides to not prosecute. Then the Feds can come in and hold the State of Colorado liable? How does/will that work? What’s the reality of this amendment down on the street where to rubber meets the road?

Aw to heck with it. Smoke em if you got em.

Last edited by McGowdog; 11-13-2012 at 11:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Betwixt and Between
463 posts, read 978,412 times
Reputation: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
In all honesty amendment 64 will never see the light of day. The USDOJ will keep it tied up in the court system until the Supreme Court strikes it down.
There is a path to federal legalization if it gets rescheduled in Federal appeals court. See;

Medical Marijuana Lawsuit Aims To Relax US Drug Policy - Business Insider

Like it or not, we (Coloradoans) have joined the petition:

[LEFT]Four states have filed petitions to reschedule the drug, including Washington, Rhode Island, Vermont and Colorado.


Read more: Medical Marijuana Lawsuit Aims To Relax US Drug Policy - Business Insider[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Bend, OR
3,296 posts, read 8,420,129 times
Reputation: 3321
A very interesting story I heard on our local Oregon Public Broadcasting this morning. What Does Legal Marijuana Mean for Washington and Colorado? - The Takeaway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Illinois
11 posts, read 39,151 times
Reputation: 12
Not sure if anyone has mentioned or commented on how many families might leave the state as a result of this law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 12:39 PM
 
20,836 posts, read 39,041,284 times
Reputation: 19042
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbre44 View Post
Not sure if anyone has mentioned or commented on how many families might leave the state as a result of this law?
I'd be surprised if anyone did.

Illegal MJ is everywhere so no real sense in leaving CO unless they want to make a statement of some sort but IMO that's foolish on their part and more of a statement about their own closed minds.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:13 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top