U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 07:01 PM

12,173 posts, read 20,952,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
This is what the Pueblo County Sheriff said. His words, not mine.
I, also, read where Pueblo County could drop all mistimener charges on pot as well. So it seems like they are not sure what to do....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 07:12 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,041,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
... So it seems like they are not sure what to do....
That is NORMAL when new edicts are handed down, either by a leader or the people. The boots on the ground types have to wait for the implementing language, procedures, SOPs and other details to be set in place by a legislative body before the games can begin - and all of this can be short-circuited by legal efforts like an injunction.

It's way premature to even think of moving here until storefront sales of MJ actually start, if ever, and no need to go rent prime commercial realty to open Paul's Pot Palace. But you could trademark a store name, like Cheech and Chong's Casa de Bong or the Newbie Doobie Delight.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:49 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,929,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
More important may be the type of people who leave versus the type of people who move in. I find that most people who don't use recreational drugs are pretty honest folks with solid values. No, I don't mean that they are religious zealots. I'm not that into religion, but I also do not want to be in a community full of recreational drug users. Undoubtedly, some people like me will leave Colorado if the recreational drug culture becomes more entrenched in the state with pot legalization than it already is (sadly, Colorado has, for decades, had a problem with illicit drug use out of proportion with the population of the state).

Unfortunately, it's popular to characterize marijuana users as innocent users of a harmless substance. In fact, they are knowingly engaging in a federally illegal act, supporting a clandestine and often violent criminal network to get the drugs, and often engaging in numerous forms of deception to hide their drug use from employers, co-workers, law enforcement, and others. I hardly consider those folks "pillars of character," yet a lot of those folks may be attracted to Colorado because of the new pot law. These people seem to carry on the failed 1960's mantra of "If it feels good, just do it," and "It's not really wrong if I don't get caught." No wonder the country is so screwed up.
You are stereotyping and painting with the broadest of brushes. Ha ha... still laughing about the second paragraph, you are kidding right? You describe every ill of prohibition, which are constant through all prohibition attempts through history and the world. Then you go on to blame it on the substance, which is not a constant through previous and current prohibition attempts... and critical thinking leads you to believe the culprit is the substance? Hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
No they don't have closed minds, they've just made a choice not have it in their environment as much as possible.

Tolerance cuts both ways. The left proclaims this great tolerance they have, but they are only tolerant when you agree with them, otherwise you are "closed minded".
*Sigh* Left vs. Right? Really? Two parties funded by the same people who do the same things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The reason I've been endearing myself to the "left" lately is because it's quite obvious that when the "right" doesn't like something, they do everything they can to ensure you're not allowed to do it either.
It's cool, you know, you can have your personal liberties without the giant government aspect of the "left". You should given the Libertarians a good look... its kinda like believing in America.

Quote:
Back at you. I've got an IQ of 140 but I don't think it's a worthwhile use of my time proving it here on this topic.

Oh, and btw, I have never been a drug addict. I smoked weed from time to time throughout my life and have been able to quit cold-turkey whenever I felt it necessary. It wasn't easy. It was also not easy to be a user of the stuff given its availability. When I smoked the stuff I didn't usually settle for that ditch weed that was fairly easy to get, but usually held out for the good stuff that was much more expensive, but you only needed a hit or two to get a good buzz. This implies familiarity with folks who sell the stuff and it also implies more risk.

So glad that once I found a recovery from my favorite drug/food alcohol, I was able to achieve the natural "high" aka state of consciousness and I didn't need or want the stuff anymore.

There again, if you can handle and enjoy the stuff, great. But I just don't think this Amendment 64 was well-concieved. I'll say it again; to the ordinary user, I think it will probably be easier to get and cheaper prior to the passing of this amendment, assuming it doesn't get killed as unconstitutional. I also think it's going to harm the cause of those who have fought so hard to get the stuff legalized for medicinal uses. But those selfish and self-centered folks out there don't really give a damn about them, do you?
As I understand it, patients with PTSD do not qualify for medical cannabis. They can now enjoy the effective treatment that they have been denied. Same with many other conditions that did not qualify before but can benefit from it. It would seem to me that the more mainstream cannabis becomes, the better it will be for medical patients. I bet plenty of places that didn't allow dispensaries before are going to now, giving patients more options, closer ones, etc...

I am not buying that legalizing cannabis is going to hurt the medical cannabis industry.

Quote:
The US Constitution doesn't mention drugs at all. It certainly does not mention marijuana.
No, but the constitution is supposed to be a strict limit of what the government is allowed to do. It does not authorize prohibition in the first place. The constitution is widely ignored in D.C., we simply could not have the behemoth of a federal government that we do if it was actually followed.

Quote:
This is what the Pueblo County Sheriff said. His words, not mine.
See above. County sheriffs are rarely experts on the constitution. Hell, federal politicians seem to have a loose grasp on it, either that or they are easily corruptible, you can decide. The constitution does not prohibit drugs, that is non-sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I, also, read where Pueblo County could drop all mistimener charges on pot as well. So it seems like they are not sure what to do....
I would hope that all non-violent possession convicts, that were prosecuted under state law, would be pardoned. Makes sense to me.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:55 PM

8,595 posts, read 7,034,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
It's cool, you know, you can have your personal liberties without the giant government aspect of the "left". You should given the Libertarians a good look... its kinda like believing in America. .
I tried that. Until recently, I considered myself a hardcore libertarian. Around the time of the Tea Party I started looking further into economic issues and realized that the libertarian economic philosophy is some of the most laughable stuff I've ever seen. I'm also not comfortable with getting rid of the FDA and some of the environmental ideas. But yes, the typical 'left' politician is just as oppressive as Karl Rove wants to be, just in different ways.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:10 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,929,825 times
Quote:
I tried that. Until recently, I considered myself a hardcore libertarian. Around the time of the Tea Party I started looking further into economic issues and realized that the libertarian economic philosophy is some of the most laughable stuff I've ever seen. I'm also not comfortable with getting rid of the FDA and some of the environmental ideas. But yes, the typical 'left' politician is just as oppressive as Karl Rove wants to be, just in different ways.

Oh well, worth a shot. The way I see it, the Democrats are socially liberal/economically liberal and the Republicans are socially conservative/economically liberal. They are both sold on keynesian economics, which is an asinine model. It lead to the mess we are in, but we continue to try the same things. That is laughable to me... the banks are already asking for QE4.

Have you ever read any Milton Friedman? He is better at explaining libertarian economics than most. Libertarians are not Anarchists.

Feel free to pursue your own political path, I won't try to change it, I just rarely pass up an opportunity to talk politics.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:33 PM

8,595 posts, read 7,034,902 times
No Milton Friedman yet, but my friend keeps suggesting that I do. Maybe it is time.

Tomorrow I am meeting two friends at a bar to drink beer and talk politics. I love it, but am cautious about who I do it with. As is plainly evident in this thread, its usually a futile practice. It seems that the crux of the "anti-" argument here is "check google." Yeah, not my thing.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:44 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,041,284 times
Leave big politics out of this thread, it's about the pot law. There are other forums for discussing all sorts of economic models, with some very good discussions, and some very stupid ones too. But let's forego all of that in this thread.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:02 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,834,005 times
allprolab wrote: I'm moving to Canada". 99.9% of the time it's an empty threat that will never be carried through

I spent 5 years in Canada after McGovern lost to Nixon. It happens!

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 11-13-2012 at 09:20 PM..

Old 11-13-2012, 09:09 PM

McGowdog wrote: a moderate drinker can hardly go to a fine restaurant or to a park or fishing and enjoy a glass of wine or a beer.

I've never experienced this problem. Smells rather fishy, and reads like a fairy tale.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 11-13-2012 at 10:07 PM..

Old 11-13-2012, 09:20 PM

wanneroo wrote: People can take the opinions and agree or disagree. Unlike cosmicwizard who wants to take it personally for not agreeing with his world view or mike from the east who wants to be angry, there is nothing here to take personally or be angry about.

It has nothing to do with me taking anything personally, or wanting your agreement as you like to believe. It's about pointing out to you, that you frequently resort to name calling which is an action that is fueled by anger and hatred. Seriously, it's bad for your heart. I actually enjoy reading your posts. It's a great way to get my daily dose of fiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado