U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-19-2012, 02:26 PM
 
9,830 posts, read 19,529,511 times
Reputation: 7602

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allprolab View Post
I think you should call up your local law enforcement and ask them how many times cannabis use alone has led to domestic violence. I'd be really surprised if they came up many, if at all. Then ask how many times alcohol as led to domestic violence.

Not that I think it will open your eyes.
I get the local police report and I would say a large percentage of major vehicle accidents, domestic disputes, theft and violence, have suspects with either cannabis or meth/bath salts on them or in their system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2012, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Downtown Co Sps
666 posts, read 1,037,112 times
Reputation: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I get the local police report and I would say a large percentage of major vehicle accidents, domestic disputes, theft and violence, have suspects with either cannabis or meth/bath salts on them or in their system.
This is all kinds of BS. No one is ever given a blood test to determine if cannabis is in their system unless they were killed. Certainly not for a domestic disturbance, which is what I spoke of. Once again your loose facts have no basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 03:57 PM
 
9,830 posts, read 19,529,511 times
Reputation: 7602
Quote:
Originally Posted by allprolab View Post
This is all kinds of BS. No one is ever given a blood test to determine if cannabis is in their system unless they were killed. Certainly not for a domestic disturbance, which is what I spoke of. Once again your loose facts have no basis.
The cops can easily test for it now with a saliva test stick that you lick, which will indicate the presence of cannabis. Takes a minute. And then to verify it, there is a swab you put in your mouth that collects saliva and you can do a chemical test on it. Takes 10 minutes max. And to verify completely, it can be sent to a lab.

Blood test isn't necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Downtown Co Sps
666 posts, read 1,037,112 times
Reputation: 1019
I can't find a single article of police in the US using this. I'd ask you to, but you never actually come back with proof when asked for it.

And since thc stays in your system for 30 or so days, it doesn't prove you are under the influence at the time of the test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Colorado
11,628 posts, read 7,203,216 times
Reputation: 20946
Wanneroo, you're not going to get anyone to agree with you who has ever used pot or hung out with others who have, that it contributes in any way to violence of any kind. You're just not. Other substances, sure. But not weed. Stoned people don't "take a swing" at anyone. There's a reason hippies were mellow and peaceful.

1.) It sounds ignorant when you ascribe the effects of one drug to all drugs and act like all illegal drugs are exactly the same thing with potentially the same effects...because they're not.

2.) There are plenty of reasons NOT to smoke pot, plenty of potentially negative effects that you CAN legitimately attach to it, that you don't really need to say false and ignorant things like that (please note the distinction between "stupid" and "ignorant." I'm not questioning your intelligence, only your experience.) Oddly enough, the experienced ex-user can give you more real info on that, than the anti-drug propaganda can. While I'm pro-legalization for a lot of reasons, I'm not going to sit here and sing pot's praises and say it's never problematic. It can be. And not everyone should use it.

McGowdog, was it you that had to deal with coworkers who were problem-potheads? Or was that someone else? Whoever that was, they've got a solid handle on the cons of this substance.

But I still think it's superior, safer, and better in every way compared to alcohol. Period. The medical uses and uses for industrial hemp are legit.

And again, users don't care if it's illegal. You've already stuffed the prisons with people and ruined countless lives with this prohibition, and it's done no good whatsoever, it's a waste. It is an ineffective deterrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Bend, OR
3,296 posts, read 8,423,223 times
Reputation: 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Wanneroo, you're not going to get anyone to agree with you who has ever used pot or hung out with others who have, that it contributes in any way to violence of any kind. You're just not. Other substances, sure. But not weed. Stoned people don't "take a swing" at anyone. There's a reason hippies were mellow and peaceful.

1.) It sounds ignorant when you ascribe the effects of one drug to all drugs and act like all illegal drugs are exactly the same thing with potentially the same effects...because they're not.

2.) There are plenty of reasons NOT to smoke pot, plenty of potentially negative effects that you CAN legitimately attach to it, that you don't really need to say false and ignorant things like that (please note the distinction between "stupid" and "ignorant." I'm not questioning your intelligence, only your experience.) Oddly enough, the experienced ex-user can give you more real info on that, than the anti-drug propaganda can. While I'm pro-legalization for a lot of reasons, I'm not going to sit here and sing pot's praises and say it's never problematic. It can be. And not everyone should use it.

McGowdog, was it you that had to deal with coworkers who were problem-potheads? Or was that someone else? Whoever that was, they've got a solid handle on the cons of this substance.

But I still think it's superior, safer, and better in every way compared to alcohol. Period. The medical uses and uses for industrial hemp are legit.

And again, users don't care if it's illegal. You've already stuffed the prisons with people and ruined countless lives with this prohibition, and it's done no good whatsoever, it's a waste. It is an ineffective deterrant.
Absolutely well stated! I will agree that smoking pot can lead to problem behavior for some, usually in the form of lack of motivation. However, I've never met a pot smoker who became violent just because they were smoking marijuana. If they do, it's almost always because they've chosen to inject other substances, mainly alcohol.

The other problem has to due with the type of testing they have to determine if marijuana is in your system. Unlike most harmful narcotics (of which, I do not consider MJ to be one), pot remains in your system long after you've ingested it, upwards of 30 days. Cocaine, heroin, meth and other drugs are out of your system in less than 72 hours in most instances. I'd much rather take my chances with a pot user who chooses to smoke on their own time, than a cocaine or heroin user who choose to abuse on their own time. Perhaps that's just me, but as someone who has personally been impacted by the abuse of these horrific drugs, I wish my friends and family members had only smoked pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 11:39 PM
 
9,830 posts, read 19,529,511 times
Reputation: 7602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Wanneroo, you're not going to get anyone to agree with you who has ever used pot or hung out with others who have, that it contributes in any way to violence of any kind. You're just not. Other substances, sure. But not weed. Stoned people don't "take a swing" at anyone. There's a reason hippies were mellow and peaceful.
Oh, well, I'm not looking to convince anyone or get anyone to agree with me. The people that smoke cannabis have already made up their mind and rationalized it, as we see in this thread. To them it harms no one, is completely safe and has no harm to them, doesn't have any long term or short term impacts on their mental and physical health, doesn't alter their state of mind resulting in a variety of behaviors, you name it, we've heard it.

I'm merely stating my opinion on the matter and having received a number of positive comments about those opinions, someone has enjoyed it. If people that smoke pot disagree with me, that's fine and no real surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2012, 12:09 AM
 
13,294 posts, read 25,467,231 times
Reputation: 20392
I personally don't smoke pot and when I did as a teenager, found it made me depressed, zombie-like and hungry, and I can get that way without harsh smoke.
People I know who smoke regularly for a long time seem to get ... vague...and sorta mentally sloppy. That's regular and long-time. But I've never encountered a violence response from someone who smokes, whether regularly or occasionally.Alcohol, cocaine, meth, anything "speedy, all of those often have violence with them.
It's not an argument for marijuana by any means, just a fact. I've worked in detoxes, too. No one gets brought in by family or police for MJ use leading to behavior problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2012, 04:41 AM
 
Location: Sector 001
7,233 posts, read 6,426,557 times
Reputation: 8276
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
The cops can easily test for it now with a saliva test stick that you lick, which will indicate the presence of cannabis. Takes a minute. And then to verify it, there is a swab you put in your mouth that collects saliva and you can do a chemical test on it. Takes 10 minutes max. And to verify completely, it can be sent to a lab.

Blood test isn't necessary.

that's a good thing, since we should be prosecuting people who drive stoned just like we would people who drive drunk. Here in South Dakota they are not easy on people who drive drunk, so it's not like people are going to be getting high and going out behind the wheel, any more than they go out and drink and drive at least.

More freedom with the responsibilities and consequences that come with that freedom. That's the way I prefer it.

And yes, smoking pot is no more or less harmful than drinking alcohol, and believe me there are plenty of people around here who I feel drink way too much, they drink between their 12 hour shifts at work and then call in for a couple hours. There's no doubt some may develop a problem using pot excessively, just like many drink excessively. That's their right and something they have to deal with though. They don't seem to mind their lifestyle and function fine when they are at work. The people I know who smoke pot at work are happy, well adjusted people who act the same as any other person. If anything they are more joyful.

There are people who overeat and become overweight too, but we can't very well outlaw foods, nor should we be like states outlawing soda or 'unhealthy' foods... people have a right to eat what they want. I can see making them pay more for insurance, being a higher risk. Truth be told though my grandmother has been overweight for her entire life and she's almost 80 now. She's also a very relaxed, happy person. Genetics, stress levels, also factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2012, 04:44 AM
 
Location: right here
4,127 posts, read 4,762,267 times
Reputation: 4862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
Oh, man, I didn't even see the connection until just now; I hadn't had a "random" test in over 8 years, but I was given a drug test just three days after the election and I AM FROM COLORADO!

There is also a helicopter parked out back and I am surrounded by cops!

!!!

(Correlation does not equal causation)

(Have I mentioned I work for a multi-agency counter-narcotic program?)

Keep your day job....really not funny...yes it was directly because maybe everyone or a lot of people believe people from CO are potheads? I don't know...

I'll see how it plays out..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:20 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top