U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 06:09 AM

2,263 posts, read 2,453,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Sugar and caffeine doesn't completely alter and impair your state of mind like cannabis. If I eat a cookie or drink a coke, it's not going to turn me into a babbling idiot, taking swings at people, drop me to the floor or have me stumbling around in a stupor.
errr.... alcohol does those things smoking cannabis does not.
Most experienced stoners can function as well stoned as not. Unlike alcohol you can smoke till your lungs explode without really loosing control of yourself.

I don´t smoke too often anymore a few times a year maybe and mostly when I am in Holland and stop by the coffeeshop, but when I smoked regularly I could do everything just as well stoned. I rock climbed stoned all the time - I would never climb after drinking alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 09:59 AM

11,625 posts, read 7,195,062 times
It is also an informal observation I'd like to put out there that a stoned person is MUCH less likely to attempt to drive a vehicle than a drunk person is.

I'm not saying that a stoned person would never choose to try and drive that way. Just that it's less likely. People impaired by MJ tend to be paranoid and lazy, and would normally rather just stay put at home if possible. Drunk people usually deny how impaired they are and view the whole thing as some kind of a personal challenge. I'm fine! I can drive! Watch me!

Again, this is just based on my personal observations and opinion.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:48 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,835,798 times
McGowdog wrote: If you can smoke two tokes a week or maybe a couple of tokes two times a week, then why not just put it down?

I'm in the half dozen tokes a year category, with no desire to just put it down. For me, mj is a very occasional treat that gets my mind into a really focused state.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:53 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,835,798 times
wanneroo wrote: The people that smoke cannabis have already made up their mind and rationalized it, as we see in this thread.

That's because smoking cannabis IS a totally rational activity, the polar opposite of your mostly irrational posting.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:15 PM

14,492 posts, read 22,337,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
McGowdog, was it you that had to deal with coworkers who were problem-potheads? Or was that someone else? Whoever that was, they've got a solid handle on the cons of this substance.

But I still think it's superior, safer, and better in every way compared to alcohol. Period. The medical uses and uses for industrial hemp are legit.
Yeah, and here was the problem with that. I worked for my brother at the time as did my mom and dad. He paid us all just enough to be attracted to the company in tough economic times while he made a killing for himself. He kept very skilled flooring installers for esd flooring systems employed... esd carpet broadloom and tile, solid esd vinyl tile and roll goods, esd epoxy and urethane and 100% solid epoxy water mitigation systems for the ESD industry.

These guys work hard and demand to make 300 to 500 bucks daily contengent on installing a minimum of 2000 to 4000 sq ft per day and 20,000+ sq ft per coating of epoxy per day depending on prep environment etc.

But these guys party as hard as they work. They get sore. They get lonely. They get emotional. They smoke weed and drink. When you're in a cleanroom within a highly secure government industry that has high security and cameras in the installation areas and you got a knucklehead sneaking a toke in the install room because he's too lazy to go outside... we have a problem.

Here's another problem... my brother smoked weed too. But it was I who had to be on site to face our client and keep these knuckleheads from getting us thrown in jail... much less getting us paid on time and maybe even getting the repeat business. I also had to room with these guys at times unless I was to pay for a separate room out of pocket which would nulify my earnings. I also had to fly in airports with these idiots. How do you think they got their "innocent herb" from a to b? Or... how do you think they acquired the stuff at the destination?

When we were in Reynosa Mexico one time, it was fortunately pretty easy to make the contact. My floor installer asked the pizza guy if he could get him some. This guy delivered more than pizza. But what was the risk there? If these guys don't get their stuff, they become whiney spoiled irritable and sensitive babies. They don't work. They don't produce. They behave badly in front of our customers. They are stupid punks. And when they get real high, they smoke all the more and become less and less productive. I saw it with my own eyes. They can't just take an advil. They got to have vicodin.

Now, about your claims that MJ is superior to alcohol for medicinal purposes... Not so fast, skippy.
  • Alcohol and Health; The health benefits of moderate alcohol consumption have long been known. One of the earliest scientific studies on the subject was published in the Journal of ...
  • Alcohol use; if you drink, keep it moderate. - MayoClinic.com
  • US Government agrees on medical benefits of alcohol- U.S. Government Agrees on Medical Benefits of Alcohol, Ulcers, type 2 Diabetes, red wine, oxidation of bad cholesterol, plaque, arteries, ...
  • Alcohol - Harvard School of Public Health - Harvard University;
    For most moderate drinkers, alcohol has overall health benefits.
  • 5 Hidden health benefits of alcohol - LIVESTRONG.COM
  • Risk and benefits of alcohol; In addition, moderate alcohol use can provide certain health benefits, particularly with regard to coronary heart disease. However, alcohol ...
  • The Health Benefits and risks of Alcohol - A lot of recent research has highlighted the potentially beneficial effects on the heart and other parts of the body of drinking wine and other ...
I like a book called Under the Influence, by James R. Milam and Katherine Ketcham. They describe alcohol as both a food and a drug and a chemical;

Quote:
Chapter Two discusses alcohol itself - as a chemical, as a drug and as a food. The chapter describes how the body processes alcohol, and that it is selectively addictive - affecting only about 10% of the world’s population. Chapter Three discusses the predisposing factors that make an alcoholic what he/she is. Alcoholics and non-alcoholics essentially drink for the same reasons -- but at some point the alcoholic’s drinking changes from that of the non-alcoholic.
But the caveat to alcohol, it is not acceptable for the rare (1 in 10) alcoholic to embibe nor is it acceptable for folks to mix alcohol with many other substances.

The one thing I like about alcohol is that it eventually sends the right people to eventually look for help to combat it. Society doesn't put up with the drunk. I don't think society should put up with the pothead either.

Cosmic, if you can smoke the stuff so infrequently, hats off to you. I'd agree that you've got it under control and should enjoy the stuff. But you shouldn't try and speak for everybody. Maybe weed only finds 10% of the population that get out of hand with it. I think that weed and other drugs may be less so "selectively addictive" though. I think that anybody can be a drug addict. Not so with the alcoholic. You're either alky or you're not. You can't make an alcoholic out of the non-alcoholic.

Alcoholic Vervet Monkeys! - Weird Nature - BBC animals.mp4 - YouTube

Old 11-20-2012, 12:51 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times
Dog, great info, +5.

Does ESD mean "electro-static-discharge"?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:24 PM

Oh, yes. I think you repped me for another post in the Colorado Springs section here. I spent over 7 years in that industry and have much passion in it though I no longer work in the field. Thx btw.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:19 PM

11,625 posts, read 7,195,062 times
Yeah, well I gotta agree to disagree about alcohol. I think that whatever merits it may have as an antioxidant or anything else can be had with other consumable substances (foods, supplements.) People don't even really understand the mechanics of the benefits of MMJ yet, largely because scientific research of its positive characteristics isn't really encouraged. But problematic smokers have never done anything that scared the heck out of me, just made an almighty nuisance and annoyance and burden of themselves at their worst. Drunk people scare me to death. I don't want to be around anyone who is drunk. If the percentage of those who imbibe alcohol, who have any sort of a "problem" is so small, then much as you have with problem-potheads, I've run into a disproportionately large number of them in my lifetime. Unless irrational arseholery, sexual aggression, and a tendency to lose one's bodily fluids in inappropriate manners are well...not a problem in your book.

I know some folks can have a drink or two socially or with a meal or whatever. But even those people have at some point got themselves stupid sloppy drunk, at least several times in their lives. Most people I know, who drink (which would be most people I know, actually, period) have at least once in their lives done something while drunk, that they regretted later.

During 3 years of smoking, I never specifically did anything that I regretted...rather I regret the waste, as I didn't do much of anything at all...

Old 11-20-2012, 05:17 PM

I've used weed to try and help me abstain from alcohol. It worked for a good time... like maybe two months here and maybe 6 months there... but it never quite took me to the state of consciousness that I thought I was missing.

I suppose there are people out there who can smoke like a gentlemen or like a lady. Hats off to those people, again. But hats off to the folks who not only don't drink habitually, but don't even like to drink to the point of drunkenness as they start to feel "out of control". They get nauseous and don't have to lose control of their bodily functions. I'm not so thrilled with the prospects of this either. I think a toilet is as good as any place to empty one's blatter... or any other bodily fluid.

I would agree with you that a person smoking weed is not nearly as dangerous or unpredictable as one drinking too much booze... or endulging in a number of other drugs.

In fact, I think it should be legal/decriminalized... at the federal level too though. If you folks get Congress on board with this, the sooner the better. Free will to all and come see me if the reality of getting "high" with the substance fails you or starts to fall short. I've got a new drug.

Huey Lewis And The News - I Want A New Drug - YouTube

Old 11-20-2012, 10:59 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,525,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
wanneroo wrote: The people that smoke cannabis have already made up their mind and rationalized it, as we see in this thread.

That's because smoking cannabis IS a totally rational activity, the polar opposite of your mostly irrational posting.
According to sonic spork up above, it makes you lazy and paranoid and impairs you(I'll take their word for it), so I don't understand how that is rational and me being sober is irrational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado