U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 06:42 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,411,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
How many folks will move here thinking it's some sort of cannabis shangri-la, only to find the cost of living so prohibitively high that they can't afford to buy any pot? Have fun with that.
Are there less expensive small cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Hope this doesn't turn into a new San Francisco
Yeah, if the average price for an average house goes to $750,000, that would be bad.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:17 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,883,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyboy_2012 View Post
All these haters on here talking about how weed is bad, how Colorado will be a state of low-lifes and lazy criminals. To you all I say this... Don't hate, participate!! Colorado is one one most beautiful states with lots to offer. It will soon see the springing up of coffee shops, marijuana clubs, and everything else in between. There is a huge market for this and it will only benifit my state and people with millions if not billions coming from profit alone. A smart person would jump on this chance of a life time and figure out how to make a profit instead of sitting back and knocking it! A rush will soon hit Colorado, but this time it wont be for gold! Welcome to the Mile "High" City.
I love your optimism, but it ain't gunna happen.

Per Amendment 64:

--There will be NO TAX REVENUE until a tax is put on the ballot and approved by the voters of Colorado.

--You may not smoke in public. While this has not been enforced very well, I hope that it is enforced more tightly later. If you want to smoke, fine. I don't want to smell it.

--You cannot smoke on private property without the owner's/landlord's permission. A recent story tells of a potential marijuana smoke shop whose lease was cancelled by the landlord before it could open.

--For now, the same restrictions on tobacco cigarette smoking apply to medical marijuana. In other words you cannot smoke in any establishment that sells food or drink. It remains to be seen if this restriction will be extended to recreational marijuana smoking.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I don't think a state would be able to tax something that's against Federal law. The state could become an accessory to a Federal crime.
They (crooked Supreme Court) say Federal law overrules state laws. But in (not) OK, they try a person in a state or Federal court, based on whichever has the most extreme maximum penalty. So states have rights to make more extreme laws, but not less extreme laws?

The Supreme Court says they have the Commerce Clause giving them the right to regulate interstate commerce. But the problem is, when I look at a dictionary under regulate, it does not say to prohibit. Also, the Supreme Court says selling within a state is same as selling to another state, and that selling at or below cost or giving something away, is the same as running a profitable business. The IRS says something can't be called a business unless it makes a profit most years. So if IRS & Supreme Court don't agree to definitions of words as Supreme Court refuses to use dictionary, it's not clear what's Federal law.

The law against murder doesn't seem to apply to most Feds. I feel keeping cannabis illegal causes people needless pain & premature deaths. 120+ medical uses, no proven deaths, see rxmarijuana.com/ Wikipedia and Granny Storm Crow's list. Please don't vote for Democrats & Republicans as most are bribed by Big Pharma & others to keep it illegal until the world ends. Best wishes, all!

Old 02-12-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
big difference between medicinal and recreational.
Maybe it's easier to get it approved for all adults, as medical marijuana seems to be more about who can't get it than who can. Police officers get medical marijuana bills stopped by buying guvs. Cops & lawyers have many seats in legislature, & they say vary dangerous, addictive, no medical value as Controlled Substances Act of 1970 says that, even though other sources don't. Was Nixon a physician?

We should not make our law makers & law enforcers study medicine to decide who can get it. The cop union boss claims to represent all cops, claiming they are united against the public. Maybe half of police
would support some medical use, but they feel it wouldn't be worth the harassment they'd get from their co-workers, so they stay silent. The police spokesperson says no such thing as medical marijuana, so we can make that irrelevant by saying for "recreational" use, or use for any reason.

Many police officers & their families have died from cannabis prohibition. Cannabis oil cures cancer.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I expect a big increase in the number of pan-handlers in Colorado now.
Couldn't legalization cause a great drop in prices? Or are you saying it would be possible to get enough by panhandling with legalization, when before panhandling money wasn't enough? Best wishes.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
It's making me want to move away from Colorado even more, not stay here.

It already is. People move here looking for the snowy rocky mountains and end up stuck on the plains without a job and realize it's not any better to move here than anywhere else without a job.

I agree with you moving without a job offer could be bad. I hope employers in CO will realize many cannabis users are able to do some types of jobs & employers have the right to test them for actual impairment as often as they wish. So I don't see a big liability issue here. Best wishes.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
If these guys don't get their stuff, they become whiney spoiled irritable and sensitive babies. They don't work. They behave badly in front of our customers. And when they get real high, they smoke all the more and become less and less productive. They can't take an advil. They got to have vicodin.

Now, about your claims that MJ is superior to alcohol for medicinal purposes... Not so fast, skippy.
Alcohol and Health; The health benefits of moderate alcohol consumption have long been known.

US Government agrees on medical benefits of alcohol: Ulcers, type 2 Diabetes, red wine, oxidation of bad cholesterol, plaque, arteries. Alcohol - Harvard School of Public Health - Harvard University; For most moderate drinkers, alcohol has overall health benefits. 5 Hidden health benefits of alcohol - LIVESTRONG.COM Risk and benefits of alcohol; In addition, moderate alcohol use can provide certain health benefits, particularly with regard to coronary heart disease.The Health Benefits of Alcohol - A lot of recent research has highlighted the potentially beneficial effects on the heart.

But it is not acceptable for the rare (1 in 10) alcoholic to embibe nor is it acceptable for folks to mix alcohol with many other substances.
Society doesn't put up with the drunk. I don't think society should put up with the pothead either.
Maybe weed only finds 10% of the population that get out of hand with it. I think that anybody can be a drug addict. Not so with the alcoholic. You're either alky or you're not. You can't make an alcoholic out of the non-alcoholic.
If daily drinkers could only get what they want at 2 places in a county & not specified where or when, price was greatly inflated & possible legal penalties, might they act like MJ users who can't get more?

I don't think most doubt alcohol has benefits or most want it made illegal, they just want equal rights to a substance that makes people non-violent if anything will, has 126 medical uses, no deaths.

I don't think most care if people get drunk at home, after work, as long as they are non-violent (1/3 of alcoholics admit to being violent sometimes). Family might care also because of 125,000 alcohol-related deaths a year, & many alcoholics smoke cigarettes (maybe 200,000-250,000 American deaths per year). Most others only disapprove of drunk driving. Most employers don't care if workers arrive sober.

Pills kill 125,000 Americans a year, but most won't even criticize the industry. Tobacco kills the most & 78% say keep it legal, presumably as a freedom to choose & sympathy for the addicted.

Most of the alcoholics I've met have 1 or more old memories they need to erase as often as possible, or are upset about recent or ongoing problems. Then there's the craving that may be hereditary. Some who drink above healthy amount are "abusers"(recreational drinkers), which is what so-called recreational cannabis users want, too, without the damage. Many combine the 2, cutting drinking in half.

Heavy cannabis use is mostly a psychological dependence, and since it doesn't kill & has so many medical benefits, there are less reasons to feel moderation is necessary. Addiction experts say cannabis is about 1/5th as addicting as tobacco (nicotine), 1/4th as addicting as alcohol, 1/3rd as addicting as caffeine.

Fatal overdoses: 0.4%-0.5% B. A. C. for alcohol; 60-80 mg for nicotine; 2,000 mg for caffeine; MJ fatal OD has never happened in people. It doesn't cause death in long term, nor does it cause any real illness.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:28 AM

Majority of Democrats & Republicans are bought by special interest groups. Gary Johnson was great Libertarian Presidential candidate, publicly in favor of legalization since 1999, when he was the Republican governor of NM. But those who want all our Constitutional rights back, need to vote 3rd party. Obama is purchased by medical industry. Govt-corporate-cops alliance has their wish list about cannabis online at learnaboutsam.com/ Briefly, forced "treatment", forced "education", & 6 months probation for possession of a tiny amount.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:18 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,838,766 times
Osito wrote: It's making me want to move away from Colorado even more, not stay here.

I'm sure a bunch of us in this thread will be happy to help you pack up and get you on your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado