U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 07:17 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,523,464 times

Advertisements

How about we use common sense instead. I know that in short supply these days, but let's try.

If you hang out in a smoky room, you will ingest whatever is in the smoke. Whether I am burning incense, wood or pot, you will take in particles from that smoky substance in the air. Scientists can debate about the details at the microscopic level.

At the end of the day this is a drug that dramatically alters your mind, your thinking and your behavior. This is not aspirin or caffeine or anything similar the pot crowd tries to link it to. Especially over the long term. Having a state full of stoners is going to have a negative effect on the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 07:49 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,834,005 times
waneroo wrote: If you hang out in a smoky room, you will ingest whatever is in the smoke. Whether I am burning incense, wood or pot, you will take in particles from that smoky substance in the air.

I rarely agree with you on the topic of MJ, but what you say here is indeed plain old common sense that provides nothing on which to disagree.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:04 PM

666 posts, read 1,036,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Having a state full of stoners is going to have a negative effect on the state.
You have the right to your own opinion, but let's not forget that it's just an opinion.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 PM

waneroo wrote: Having a state full of stoners is going to have a negative effect on the state.

Not gonna happen. Colorado will never be full of stoners. There's so much empty space in Colorado that even IF every stoner in the country moved to Colorado, there would still be lots of empty space, and jazzlover would move to Nebraska.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:06 AM

3,703 posts, read 3,198,058 times
Also it should be noted that the great rush of potheads to your state happened when you legalized medical marijuana. You see California is a crowded place, and a tough market for pot growers with lots of competition, so when Colorado legalized MMJ growers from all over the country flocked there in droves. You guys have hundreds of MMJ dispensaries, who do you think is growing all that weed?

My point is that a lot of the people that would move to your state just because of pot are already there!

Old 02-19-2013, 11:26 AM

And even IF the stoners do come to Colorado in droves ( not very likely! ), many of them will leave when they are unable to find a source of income due to the lackluster economy.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:32 AM

4,230 posts, read 7,239,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyboy_2012 View Post
All these haters on here talking about how weed is bad, how Colorado will be a state of low-lifes and lazy criminals. To you all I say this... Don't hate, participate!! Colorado is one one most beautiful states with lots to offer. It will soon see the springing up of coffee shops, marijuana clubs, and everything else in between. There is a huge market for this and it will only benifit my state and people with millions if not billions coming from profit alone. A smart person would jump on this chance of a life time and figure out how to make a profit instead of sitting back and knocking it! A rush will soon hit Colorado, but this time it wont be for gold! Welcome to the Mile "High" City.
I can see Industrial Hemp as being a huge positive economically for Colorado. Legalizing it for recreational use MAY even have financial benefits. The way I see it by making pot legal and taxing it the illegal street pushers will be out of business and that will be a good thing. It will take a few years to know IF this is a good thing.

GL2

Old 02-19-2013, 11:37 AM

^^^^Maybe some the stoners can work in the hemp fields!

Old 02-19-2013, 05:07 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,634,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
No I am not a toker, however, I believe there is a difference between hanging out with friends who is smoking and being in a club that is filled with smoke.
I've been doing this for 45 years and have been in all sorts of rooms with people smoking with very dense smoke at times. Anybody setting up a club would be foolish to not install ventilation eqpt regardless of what is being smoked. If you don't at some point, it burns your eyes, nasal passages, etc because the smoke is so thick and just uncomfortable. Just like cigar lounges..... any smoker's lounge would need that. Would you put yourself in a roomful of cigar smokers without ventilation of any kind? Vaporization instead of smoking would make this a moot point and I would not be surprised to see clubs established that supply vaporizers for use by their patrons just like hookah bars.

Quote:
Every study done has limited the exposure to smoke to an hour or so, and the amount of marijuana smoke the people have been exposed to has been medium to heavy.
Agreed.

Quote:
A person (like a club employee) who is breathing secondhand marijuana smoke for hours at a time will get THC in his or her system. How much THC and whether or not the person is high remains to be seen, but if they cross the DUI threshold, the result will be the same when they get pulled over by a cop.
See ventilation above. Same thing.

Quote:
Like others have said, more studies are needed.
No doubt.

Bottom line is that with all of the regulations and guidelines still under development, if private clubs are allowed, it should be mandatory for them to install "smokeater" eqpt just like many bars that allow smoking do.... for the comfort of their patrons. Given the general hysteria over smoking anything in modern society, this should be common sense.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:58 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,198,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Especially over the long term. Having a state full of stoners is going to have a negative effect on the state.
There are those that think it's a good thing, but I think most people disagree. I sure don't want to see an increase in panhandlers hanging around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado