U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2013, 06:14 PM
 
3,103 posts, read 2,835,354 times
Reputation: 4029

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
coloradoalimony wrote: You can't smoke pot in *ANY* public place whatsoever, period, including mountaintops.

Even though you claim that You can't smoke pot in *ANY* public place whatsoever, period, including mountaintops, I guarantee you that some people are doing it anyway, even during fire bans. Some idiots will put smoking pot above the safety of others. No need to smoke it anyway, anywhere! Smoking is the least elegant way of getting mj into the body. Edibles are the way to go. Easier to use, & safer for the environment, without damaging the lungs. Also makes mj undetectable when consumed this way in a public setting. Chances are good that someone sitting at a table near you was doing just that, and you thought they were taking TUMS or after dinner breath mints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Coloradoalimony wrote: As long as they don't drive while impaired, then that's awesome.

There will always be some idiots who drive while impaired, wether the impairment is caused by mj, alcohol, talking on the cell-phone, a fight with the spouse, or listening to Rush Limbaugh. Makes no sense to single out mj as a culprit more insidious than any other impairment. Additionally, you have more than a few drivers who are essentially incompetent behind the wheel whenever they are on the road.
Two good post CosmicWizard... sorry I can't give you rep.

Also a good alternative to smoking is vaporizing. Basically no fire risks for the forests and more discrete than smoking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-28-2013, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Colorado
11,628 posts, read 7,203,216 times
Reputation: 20946
Something I know I've said before, but can't remember if I did in this thread...

I've had massive, massive exposure to people who drink and people who smoke (or eat) pot. I used to smoke pot. I have never been drunk. My Dad terrified me driving drunk, assaulting my Mom while drunk. I knew a girl who got raped (high school) at a party where everyone was drunk. I watch people puke and become jerks while drunk. There is NO part of alcohol that I want, for myself. NONE. Ever.

Pot can have its issues, I've seen multiple cases where people got careless and demotivated due to long term habitual use, it harmed them...it harmed their lives specifically and possibly those of their dependents. I'm not saying it's a perfect angel of a substance that can do no wrong. Possibility for a negative outcome exists.

But to everyone talking about the whole driving thing... I strongly believe that there is a huge contrast that needs to be made between the effects of weed and alcohol on most or at least many users. A drunk person often becomes belligerent and feels increased confidence and near invincibility. Not only will they INSIST that they are fine to drive, but nothing bad could possibly happen, and good luck convincing them otherwise without a physical brawl taking place, unless strict plans are put in place beforehand to prevent this. The stoned person on the other hand, is usually paranoid, knows darn well they're effed up, and does not WANT to drive.

I went to a weeklong music fest and party thing in Virginia 2 weeks ago, we had about 40 friends take over this hotel...afterparties till 4AM every night...I stayed sober, because that's how I roll. My friend brought "ganja butter" which had everyone (but me) high as a kite. None of them wanted to drive. I had to be the designated driver for everybody, not that I minded...but at no time did any of the stoned people try to drive like that.

After the main concert festival thing itself was over, where no one could bring in any weed because people were being searched, but there was a river of alcohol flowing, and everybody was drunk...the drunk people all drove their cars outta there.

Honestly I am just simply not that worried about stoned drivers, when there are drunk drivers on the roads. And stupid drivers. And senile old drivers (my great Aunt wrecked cars 3 times before someone was able to steal her keys and it was a difficult process to get her off the road.) I even think that sleep deprived truckers are more dangerous, and common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2013, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Way Out West...
95 posts, read 153,229 times
Reputation: 140
This just in...Great News!

Dateline: 8-29-13

"The Department of Justice said today it will not seek to block or substantially alter adult-use marijuana laws in Colorado and Washington State at this time, a major win for the cannabis industry that signals a tipping point in the government’s approach to the drug.


Attorney General Eric Holder told the governors of both states that the DOJ will take a hands-off approach to the new recreational cannabis programs for now and will work closely with them to ensure regulations on the industry address any federal concerns.

The DOJ also issued new guidelines for federal prosecutors when it comes to enforcing marijuana laws, saying they should focus mainly on crimes such as the distribution of marijuana to minors, driving while intoxicated, drug trafficking by gangs and cartels, and marijuana cultivation on public lands".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2013, 11:25 PM
 
3,147 posts, read 2,931,284 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Something I know I've said before, but can't remember if I did in this thread...

I've had massive, massive exposure to people who drink and people who smoke (or eat) pot. I used to smoke pot. I have never been drunk. My Dad terrified me driving drunk, assaulting my Mom while drunk. I knew a girl who got raped (high school) at a party where everyone was drunk. I watch people puke and become jerks while drunk. There is NO part of alcohol that I want, for myself. NONE. Ever.

Pot can have its issues, I've seen multiple cases where people got careless and demotivated due to long term habitual use, it harmed them...it harmed their lives specifically and possibly those of their dependents. I'm not saying it's a perfect angel of a substance that can do no wrong. Possibility for a negative outcome exists.

But to everyone talking about the whole driving thing... I strongly believe that there is a huge contrast that needs to be made between the effects of weed and alcohol on most or at least many users. A drunk person often becomes belligerent and feels increased confidence and near invincibility. Not only will they INSIST that they are fine to drive, but nothing bad could possibly happen, and good luck convincing them otherwise without a physical brawl taking place, unless strict plans are put in place beforehand to prevent this. The stoned person on the other hand, is usually paranoid, knows darn well they're effed up, and does not WANT to drive.

I went to a weeklong music fest and party thing in Virginia 2 weeks ago, we had about 40 friends take over this hotel...afterparties till 4AM every night...I stayed sober, because that's how I roll. My friend brought "ganja butter" which had everyone (but me) high as a kite. None of them wanted to drive. I had to be the designated driver for everybody, not that I minded...but at no time did any of the stoned people try to drive like that.

After the main concert festival thing itself was over, where no one could bring in any weed because people were being searched, but there was a river of alcohol flowing, and everybody was drunk...the drunk people all drove their cars outta there.

Honestly I am just simply not that worried about stoned drivers, when there are drunk drivers on the roads. And stupid drivers. And senile old drivers (my great Aunt wrecked cars 3 times before someone was able to steal her keys and it was a difficult process to get her off the road.) I even think that sleep deprived truckers are more dangerous, and common.


How high is too high? KIRO tests pot-smoking drivers to find out - YouTube

I bet this video has been posted already. But yeah, stoned driving is not drunk driving... heck, it probably isn't even in the top 5 most dangerous things people do while driving.

I am not worried on Colorado's roadways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2013, 08:52 AM
 
599 posts, read 832,697 times
Reputation: 585
The Denver Post is on board with the Obama/Holder mission to eliminate legal marijuana in the US. As I predicted earlier, they have begun to publish story after story about the negatives of legalization. This will continue until next year when Obama/Holder step in, and based on Holder's warning shot across the bow of the Good Ship Maryjane (his letter of last week outlining the reasons legal pot will be shut down), it will ALL be eliminated, recreational and medicinal.

The current article has been the front story on the Post website for three days. This is unprecedented in my experience, and I've been reading that site since its inception. Obviously Dean Singleton has been notified by his handlers that he needs to get on board with the coming cleansing.

More Colorado pot is flowing to neighboring states, officials say - The Denver Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2013, 09:24 AM
 
1,059 posts, read 1,635,035 times
Reputation: 1928
And here they come, additional states will move toward legalization so fast it will make people's heads spin. Now the governor of VT is open to discussing legalization after they passed a decriminalization bill earlier this year. Legalization by legislative action rather than citizen initiative. The feds are powerless to stop this short of sending in the cavalry. Every successive state that legalizes will now structure their laws/ initiatives to avoid positive conflict with federal law, just as CO & WA have done. With 20 states now on board and many more to come, federal marijuana law enforcement is an exercise in futility for the govt.

This genie can never be put back in the bottle.......

Shumlin ‘open’ to discussion on marijuana legalization *:*Rutland Herald Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2013, 11:13 AM
 
599 posts, read 832,697 times
Reputation: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
And here they come, additional states will move toward legalization so fast it will make people's heads spin. Now the governor of VT is open to discussing legalization after they passed a decriminalization bill earlier this year. Legalization by legislative action rather than citizen initiative. The feds are powerless to stop this short of sending in the cavalry. Every successive state that legalizes will now structure their laws/ initiatives to avoid positive conflict with federal law, just as CO & WA have done. With 20 states now on board and many more to come, federal marijuana law enforcement is an exercise in futility for the govt.

This genie can never be put back in the bottle.......

Shumlin ‘open’ to discussion on marijuana legalization *:*Rutland Herald Online
Colorado and Washington law *are* in direct conflict with Federal law, as are the laws in every state that allow medical or recreational marijuana.

Until pot is legal at the FEDERAL level, it is not legal.

Ask yourself this question: if a state passed a law making LSD "legal", would you expect the Federal government to sit back and do nothing? Marijuana has the same classification at the Federal level as do LSD (and heroin). Pot has a HIGHER classification at the Federal level than cocaine and meth.

Marijuana is illegal in the United States. Until you get your FEDERAL elected officials and bureaucrats to change their minds on that, it remains a Federal crime to possess even a gram.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2013, 12:39 PM
 
1,059 posts, read 1,635,035 times
Reputation: 1928
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
Colorado and Washington law *are* in direct conflict with Federal law, as are the laws in every state that allow medical or recreational marijuana.
No they are not. The term is positive conflict which would equate to Colorado & Washington states requiring by law, residents to cultivate, sell, or consume marijuana. That simply doesn't exist here. CO & WA have given their residents the right to use , grow, and sell the substance within certain guidelines. It has not required them to do any of them. Hence, lack of positive conflict and the biggest reason for the feds reticence to accommodate rather than immediately push back.

Something Eric Holder Should Read Before He Sues to Block Pot Legalization - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Quote:
"Mikos also notes that the federal Controlled Substances Act (CSA) itself expressly limits pre-emption to situations where there is "a positive conflict" between state and federal law "so that the two cannot consistently stand together." He explains that "a positive conflict would seem to arise anytime a state engages in, or requires others to engage in, conduct or inaction that violates the CSA." If state officials grew medical marijuana or distributed it to patients, for example, they would be violating the CSA, and the law establishing that program would be pre-empted. But specifying the criteria for exemption from state penalties does not require anyone to violate the CSA. Mikos concludes that Congress "has left [states] free to regulate marijuana, so long as their regulations do not positively conflict with the CSA."
That is the reality of the situation here. That's why the feds drew a line in the sand detailing what they would & would not tolerate. Efforts to sue & pre-empt state laws in this situation are simply not guaranteed to be successful for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2013, 07:24 PM
 
9,967 posts, read 6,265,909 times
Reputation: 8305
"I bet this video has been posted already. But yeah, stoned driving is not drunk driving... heck, it probably isn't even in the top 5 most dangerous things people do while driving.

I am not worried on Colorado's roadways.[/quote]"


^^^^ Stoned driving isn't too great either, call a cab.

2 Sent To Hospital In Fiery Crash, Explosion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2013, 12:11 AM
 
Location: Corona
10,063 posts, read 13,951,849 times
Reputation: 8887
I saw a quick blirb that the government is looking at drug sentencing laws too..........wow did I hear that correct more reason instead of nonsense there is hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:18 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top