Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 02:46 PM

4 posts, read 7,031 times

Advertisements

Obviously, there are many opinions floating around about this development in Colorado. Here's mine...

I'm in my 40s (and otherwise absolutely liberal) and smoked a fair to large amount of weed starting at age 13 in my home state of Missouri (been in Colorado for 13 years and had planned to make it my permanent home). My friend's dad was a heavy smoker and did not feel it was wrong to give it to us. Throughout junior high, high school and college I watched more and more friends get into it (many because of me personally) and I can say without a doubt that it was NOT health or brain neutral. I myself dropped out of college as did many of my smoking friends. Interestingly, those I knew who abstained from pot and only drank alcohol had MUCH better life outcomes. And for myself and several other friends...we only straightened our lives out AFTER we stopped smoking. I'll admit, this is not a scientific study, but come on, it certainly doesn't help people succeed and what are the chances it is exactly neutral? Practically nil. So the only remaining possibility is that it is harmful. But just how harmful is the question...

I've heard a lot of opinions about adults, but does anyone think legalizing is going to make it harder to get for teens? Come on. Yes, I could get weed when I was younger, but alcohol was ridiculously easier to get. If pot had been legal there would have been 10x the amount flying around. Think of all the cases and kegs of beer at all those parties and now imagine pot is just as easy to obtain. It makes my stomach sick. And I read a very recent article from CNN that proved the ill effects of pot on the young developing brain. Do people really think this is the right example to set for our children? Oh and by the way, don't we have bigger things to worry about like rebuilding our country and economy? More stoned people, that is what we really need to help us compete in the global economy. Please.

And yes, alcohol is bad in its own way too, but what is more likely, that people will choose pot OVER alcohol or that they will simply do both? I think the answer to that question is obvious. And pot is different from alcohol, it displaces normal reality in a way that I think many who have never smoked do not understand. It severely inhibits the normal, stable social interaction between human beings. Legalizing it and in fact, promoting and institutionalizing it to such a degree as has happened here is a tragedy for the state of Colorado. I moved here because of the healthy atmosphere and because it was supposedly a great place to eventually raise a family. But with one piece of legislation all that has been cast into doubt. Now we are a "specialty vice" state like Nevada where people can come and engage in what is (and should be) illegal activity in their state.

And what about our reputation? Do you think parents from other states will want their kids going to Colorado colleges? Or is there any doubt that "legalization" won't cross the mind of the admissions staff at out of state colleges when they see an application from a Colorado student? And if pro-pot people invade the state, who do you think will leave? People like me and my wife...educated, productive people who have contributed greatly to the well being of this state. We have a two year old daughter and there is no way I am going to allow her to be a guinea pig in a social and physical experiment of this magnitude. No way. It has never been legal and sold this freely before in the US and nobody knows what the consequences will be. I'm not sticking around to find out. I know someone on here will tell me not to let the door hit me in the a** on the way out and believe me, I won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 02:51 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
I am confident that legalization will reduce crime and gang violence. That's a big plus.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:01 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
How many 60 year old plus potheads do people know that are in fantastic health?

Of all of the people I have known over the long term that smoked on a regular basis from their teens and 20's were dead by their early 40's from cancer.

There have been tons of studies that link cannabis use to all sorts of cancers, not to mention the warping of the brain and decrease in cognitive function and IQ.
I'll be 60 in 13 months and am in excellent health. I've been toking since the age of 14 as have my friends. We're all in excellent health. There are millions upon millions more like us.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:02 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,258 times
Marijuana causes tacycardia and has been linked to cardial myopathy and myocardial infarction.

Also, would anyone here feel comfortable if their pilot was high?

Old 11-11-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
With a statement like this, you really show your true colors. Not even worth arguing with this ignorance, guys! Wanneroo, you just lost all respect from me.
Quote:
Well good for them, smoke up.

The potheads will always find people in the medical business to support this law or that. Just like the "doctors" on TV hawking the latest herbal supplement or exercise gizmo.

Big deal.

I would have more respect for the potheads if they stopped acting like this was some harmless "magic herb" that has zero impact on your health or your brain and also acting like getting stoned doesn't impair you.
Wanneroo, if you really are who you say you are, work in the medical field, and have access to all of these wonderful scientific minds daily, then surely you would understand the idea that correlation does not equal causation. You put forth a correlation based upon supposed experience yet you decline to offer proof of causation beyond "because I say so". Sorry, that's not good enough for an issue of this importance.

You accuse cannabis users of being in denial yet you demonstrate complete denial by refusing to provide links to any factual information from non-biased credible organizations, telling us instead to do our own research. Uh... sorry, but it's up to nobody but you to prove your position and you continue to be unable to do so.

Until you can, there's not much else to say.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Good.

If you are too lazy to buy $8 birth control pills or condoms, which are widely and cheaply available and have to insist BIG Gubermint has to have a program to supply you with FREE!(taxpayer funded) pills instead, then I don't have any respect for you either. I don't respect mooches that never contribute and always expect everyone else to pay for whatever they want to do.

A part of liberty is personal responsibility. If you want to engage in certain behaviors, then have some responsibility, get off your butt and pay for it. I don't expect other people to pay for the things I do. Why should I pay for yours? What makes you so special compared to any other citizen?
Yikes, didn't you guys learn anything this past week? Wrong topic.

<CMD-CTL-IGNORE>

Old 11-11-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Marijuana causes tacycardia and has been linked to cardial myopathy and myocardial infarction.

My cardiologist is informed of my daily cannabis use at my checkup every 6 months. He does not advise me to abstain. I've smoked with my family doctor on numerous occasions in social settings.

Your question is ludicrous. Nobody wants a high pilot anymore than they want a drunk pilot. That's just nonsense.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:13 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
Wanneroo, if you really are who you say you are, work in the medical field, and have access to all of these wonderful scientific minds daily, then surely you would understand the idea that correlation does not equal causation.
Wanneroo is a professional driver shuttling wealthy people (doctors etc) to Aspen.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Oh so if this thread is going to turn into a rant about civil rights, I'll get off the bus right here.

If any of you want to continue discussing alcohol or maybe drug abuse and the recovery thereof, come see me in the mental health subforum sometime.
McGowdog, I don't agree with you on most things surrounding this issue, but I'm 100% with you on this one.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:19 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post

LOL, you can't even spell it right. I've got a study for your study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado